Homosexual movie pulled by the Mormons:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Utah movie theater cancels Brokeback Mountain

sun-sentinel.com staff & wires
Posted January 9 2006, 9:18 AM EST

SALT LAKE CITY -- A movie theater owned by Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller abruptly changed its screening plans and decided not to show the film "Brokeback Mountain."

The film, an R-rated Western gay romance story, was supposed to open Friday at the Megaplex at Jordan Commons in Sandy, a suburb of Salt Lake City. Instead it was pulled from the schedule.

A message posted at the ticket window read: "There has been a change in booking and we will not be showing 'Brokeback Mountain.' We apologize for any inconvenience."

Cal Gunderson, manager of the Jordan Commons Megaplex, declined to comment.

The film, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, is about two cowboys who discover feelings for one another. The two eventually marry women but rekindle their relationship over the years.

The movie's distributor, Focus Features, said that hours before opening, the theater management "reneged on their licensing agreement," and refused to open the film.

Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said not showing the film set an example for the people of Utah.

"I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said.

Mike Thompson, executive director of the gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah, called it disappointing.

"It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film with so much buzz about it is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias," he said.

Mike Thompson, executive director of the gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah, called it disappointing.

"It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film with so much buzz about it is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias," he said.

Of course that isn't his personal bias but normative...:banghead:

Originally posted by crhoades

Of course that isn't his personal bias but normative...:banghead:

Sodomy is beautiful?:barfy:

to think, this movie might win an Oscar. I guess Heath Ledger is on his with to the $20 mil per film salary

Originally posted by Scott Bushey

Aint nothing beautiful in anything this person said. He is probably more biased than the person he is criticizing. And it just isn't ashamed that someone pulled such perversion. Let's call it what it is, ugly, degenerating, perversion.

Serious questions here, because I have not studied homosexuality at all.
I am looking for solid theonomic answers. I probably will not go see it either but there seems to be more judgment cast on this specific sin.

How many of us would go and see a movie about an alchoholic, or a murderer or kidnapper, or thief, or adulterer ? ?

Why do we shun this over and above other sin portrayed in films ?

Isn't homosexuality simply another form of adultry (one of the Decalogue) ?
So why do we make special judgements on it ?

Was Christ not living during a time of rampant homosexuality in Rome ?
Why does He not mention it as being worse than anything else ?

Why does Paul put it in a very generic list of sins ?

1Co 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,
1Co 6:10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

I have seen quite a few movies with drunken greedy reviling and swindling theives.

Does not the Bible teach that it was not loving their neighbors as themselves, and sexual immorality in general that God found abhorrent ? NOT homosexuality alone ?

Eze 16:48 As I live, declares the Lord GOD, your sister Sodom and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done.
Eze 16:49 Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy.
Eze 16:50 They were haughty and did an abomination before me. So I removed them, when I saw it.

Jud 1:6 And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day--
Jud 1:7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Originally posted by Saiph

How many of us would go and see a movie about an alchoholic, or a murderer or kidnapper, or thief, or adulterer ? ?
I think in movies that involve a murderer, kidnapper, thief or adulterer, the plots in these movies are resolved with the murderer, kidnapper, thief and adulterer getting their comeupance. But in the case of Brokeback Mountain, they very acts of homosexuality are validated.

Originally posted by Slippery
But in the case of Brokeback Mountain, they very acts of homosexuality are validated.

Actually they are not. One ends up dying, and leaves a very faithful and crushed wife and children in the wake. The movie intends to make you feel sorry for the gays, but from what I read, the wife is the hero and overall it actually portrays the evil of how these relationships hurt everyone around them.

I still will probably not see it.

well I guess I was bringing my own preconceptions to the table.

Anyway one quick question. If this movie portrays how destructive the lifestyle is, how is it that homosexuals are applauding it?????????

Keon, they seem to be falling for the sentimentality of the gay story, and missing the aspects of the wife and kids. From the entire review I read it is a gay version of "Bridges of Madison County" .

Keon, they seem to be falling for the sentimentality of the gay story, .
and probably the explicit sex scenes.

The synopsis I read on Yahoo, claimed that it is a movie about, "the power of love".

it makes yuh wonder. anyway heath ledger wins the Oscar.

:up:

It is interesting how we, as Christians, view sin. It seems that some sins are acceptable material for movies, though if we saw them in a fellow believer, we would be appalled and rebuke them. Though they hardly glorify God, we justify them by saying that some lesson is learned or that it is representative of society. Or even, "œwhat else is there to watch?" I have been grieved about what I am willing to watch for some time now. I pray that I would be willing to sacrifice my "entertainment" for the glory of God.

[Edited on 1-10-06 by matthew]

I guess the main issue is that we shouldn't want to see these disgusting movies, or any movies that promote sin.

Unfortunately, that means we should not want to see a lot of "good" movies. Like The Godfather!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back