Homeschool Graduates Present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by bevirtuous
I was just wondering if there were any other homeschool graduates on this board? :)
Knot mea. I wuz edukaded inn thee publicke scules.

I was a homeschool graduate. They always said that I would end up an introverted freak with no social skills. Who would have thought that they'd be right?

Me too, I graduated this past May with 9 of my fellow homeschoolers. :D

And I'm goin' to Criswell College in Dallas, Tx with two of them!

:banana:

I thought this was about appropriate presents for homeschool graduates - was trying to think of suggestions.:banana:

1) A set of Calvin's commentaries, or the works of Virgil

uh, haven't come up with any others, possibly due to my inability to come up with multiple solutions to problems due to having barely survived public education.

Originally posted by msortwell
We have raised two homeschool graduates (with a third aspiring to graduate), but I was less fortunate (i.e., taught in public school).

Are you familiar with www.homeschoolalumni.org?

Mike

Congratulations to you for graduating two children. :up: My siblings and I are all graduated now (the last one graduated in 2001). How quickly the time passes by!

Yes, I am familiar with that website. I've been a member there for some time now, and it has been wonderful to meet homeschool grads from all over the country (and world even). However, while it is a nice place to fellowship with other homeschoolers, there aren't many who are doctrinally like-minded (being Reformed is definitely a minority on HSA), so I usually end up lurking around here for more meaty topics/discussions. :book2: I even shared a link to this board on HSA. I thought there might be a few that would be blessed by this board as I have been. :)

Anyway... It is nice to see a few other homeschool grads, etc., here as well. :handshake:

Originally posted by turmeric
I thought this was about appropriate presents for homeschool graduates - was trying to think of suggestions.:banana:

uh, haven't come up with any others, possibly due to my inability to come up with multiple solutions to problems due to having barely survived public education.

lol ;) I would have loved a set of Calvin's commentaries as a graduation gift. :) CBD (www.cbd.com) is selling the complete set for $149 right now--which is very tempting. :D

so....after graduation...is Homecoming once a year or every holiday? I guess homecoming king/queen is a pretty fierce battle...

wocka, wocka, wocka.

lol ;) I would have loved a set of Calvin's commentaries as a graduation gift. :) CBD (www.cbd.com) is selling the complete set for $149 right now--which is very tempting. :D

http://heritagebooks.org/item.asp?bookId=2144

Reformation Heritage Books has them for $120...

Originally posted by Theoretical
Originally posted by crhoades
so....after graduation...is Homecoming once a year or every holiday? I guess homecoming king/queen is a pretty fierce battle...

wocka, wocka, wocka.

:lol:

pacsmile.gif

Yep, I'm a former homeschooler - graduated 3 years ago . . . Bryan, I'm with you on the "introverted freak with no social skills" thing. My brother graduated a year ago, and is a better example of why homeschooling doesn't necessarily result in social ineptness.

Beth and I homeschooled our son "Jay II". (He is our only child). Here is yet another "introverted freak with no social skills" specimen. Was offered and accepted a position two years ago on the Hill working for a Congressman in legislative correspondence. He has been promoted twice. This after graduating from with a degree in political science from Rhodes College. He was president of the College Quiz Bowl chapter, treasurer of 3 other organizations, was elected to four honor societies including Phi Beta Kappa and graduated magna cum laude. What a geek, huh?

My husband (py3ak- Ruben) and I are both homeschool graduates.

He got less formal schooling than I did (about three hours of it before breakfast every morning), but he read the rest of the time, and I mostly cower before his intelligence. I am trying to catch up but he still reads most of the time, and he reads so much faster than I do.....

Not to be in a bidding war, but CBD will have them at $99 again soon, I sure. Yet, not everyone likes to shopat CBD.

Originally posted by Ivan

Not to be in a bidding war, but CBD will have them at $99 again soon, I sure. Yet, not everyone likes to shopat CBD.

Oh yes! I do remember hearing about that once, but I think you had to get their catalog (which I wasn't receiving at the time). I just ordered something through them last week, so hopefully I'll start to receive the catalog again (so I can be on the look out for that special).

We homeschool (and always will) our children. two of them are under 3 years old but our oldest, 8, is homeschooled and our 3 year old is "formally" starting soon.

How does one "graduate" from homeschool? Obviously we don't need to worry about this for a while. Do you take some kind of State test to appease the tyrants or what?

Also, I assume if the homeschooled graduate wants to enter a secular State college, do they go take the SAT's somewhere?

Chris,

I'm sure that the rules vary from state to state . . . but for what it's worth, here's some of how Washington works:

You don't have to take a test to graduate - at least, last I knew homeschoolers were exempt from the WASL (which is the test that everyone else has to pass to graduate).
You are required by law to register your child with the school district, and declare an "intent to homeschool". Obviously, the year after you've registered them for 12th grade, they don't get registered anymore. Each year (starting 3rd grade, I think), you are also required to either take a standardized test, or have an evaluation by a certified teacher.
If you want to get accepted into a university right after graduation, yes, you need SAT scores. For subjects required for university entrance (other than math and english), you need additional proof of competency (such as SAT II scores). If you go to community college after graduation, then you apply to a university as a transfer student, and it's a lot easier.
Personally, I did get a diploma from Hewitt Homeschooling Resources (they aren't accredited, btw), and then went to community college, before transfering to university.

I went to godless public schools. I still haven't fully recovered.

"I am afraid that the schools will prove the very gates of hell, unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures and engraving them in the heart of the youth."
"”Martin Luther

Originally posted by mangum
We homeschool (and always will) our children. two of them are under 3 years old but our oldest, 8, is homeschooled and our 3 year old is "formally" starting soon.

How does one "graduate" from homeschool? Obviously we don't need to worry about this for a while. Do you take some kind of State test to appease the tyrants or what?

Also, I assume if the homeschooled graduate wants to enter a secular State college, do they go take the SAT's somewhere?

We homeschooled Jay Jr. all the way through high school. By the time he was at the high school level we opted for CLASS (Christian Liberty Academy) because we needed the structure and appreciated the benefits of the record-keeping.

As far as the PSAT/NMSQT and SAT you register with ETS and they direct you to the nearest "center" for taking the exam. They have a special school code that designates homeschooled. When it was time he just went down to the local high school and took the exams.

You can get the state-specific info you need through the local or NC homeschoolers association.

The Lord grant grace and wisdom to train up your children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Homeschool graduate (sort of, my last year was more dual credit than anything else) here. Now in my last year of college. Homeschooling can be wonderful depending on how committed your parents are to giving you a quality education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back