Genetically Modified Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the OP documentary yet?

I made it to the 42 min mark... it's quite long. My assessment of the 1st half of this film would be that it uses childish dramatic techniques to create fear throughout, particularly when discussing the actual techniques used to create GM foods. They really aren't trying to be fair and balanced at all in their overall delivery - thus I think calling the film a documentary might be a little generous. Also, some of the info that the friendly fellow from the CENTER FOR FOOD SAFETY :rolleyes: tries to convey is false (I caught him saying that there are bacteria and viruses in GM crops).

I think the film did bring up a couple of good points, though. If the facts that they gave regarding Monsanto are accurate, I think there is a clear need for more governmental regulations on companies that create and patent GM foods (although I have no problem with companies actually taking out patents on any organisms they engineer). The courts of the land also seem to have little sympathy for the little farmers who seemed to be innocent bystanders. That was kind of heartbreaking... but I think that is more of a issue that the FDA etc need to address and take a stand on, not really a reason to run from GM foods in general. The film makers seemed to lay a lot of the political blame at GHW Bush's feet. Maybe the Obama admin will take a tougher stance on this...:think:

watched first half. Bad idea to post hour and a half films on the PB and then claim that people are unable to interact with the arguments unless one watches the whole film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back