Frequency of Communion (PCA-BCO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Fox

Puritan Board Freshman
I know that there is a thread which discusses this issue in detail here:

http://www.puritanboard.com/showthread.php/87875-Frequency-of-the-Lord-s-supper

I am curious as to how often the PCA is to celebrate communion. Specifically, I note that the Book of Church order states that it is to be celebrated "frequently". Can anyone more familiar with PCA polity tell me how often "frequently" is? Is the decision left to the discretion of the presbytery?

I know that there is one PCA affiliated church in my area which celebrates communion twice a year. This seems problematic to me, even for those who believe that less frequent communions are more meaningful.

There's a fairly wide range of practice, with a good number of sessions opting for weekly but also some that choose to do it less often than once a month, and many that fall somewhere in between.

But my question was the appropriateness of celebrating twice a year. This strikes me as improper when the BCO says "frequently".

But my question was the appropriateness of celebrating twice a year. This strikes me as improper when the BCO says "frequently".

While I would agree that twice a year would generally not meet my definition of 'frequently', I would have to know more about circumstances before I started flinging accusations. If you did want to know what was going on there, you might start by asking the pastor. Or find another church and tell them why.

No, I am not looking to pick a fight. It is not my congregation that celebrates communion twice a year. My understanding is that the rationale is that the eucharist becomes that much more meaningful, and that the congregation appreciates this characteristic.

I was curious as to how much issues of polity, as opposed to theology, can be stretched before crying foul and here is a real world example.

In Scotland it is still sometimes the case that communion held once or twice a year does not deprive communicants of greater frequency because they go round the communion seasons in various congregations.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

You should be aware that there's a long history in the Reformed world of churches celebrating communion not very frequently. The continental Reformed denominations tend to do it quarterly, maybe. And as Richard noted, there are well-rooted Presbyterian traditions that are accustomed to only once or twice a year. So this is not an abnormality when the larger Reformed tradition is considered. What's best is another issue, of course. But do keep all this mind before being too quick to cry foul.

Interesting comparative, showing that the current PCA BCO hasn't changed much from what was in play in 1645:

58-1. The Communion, or Supper of the Lord, is to be observed frequently; the stated times to be determined by the Session of each congregation, as it may judge most for edification.

[DIGEST : The substance of the current PCA text remains remarkably close to that of the 1645 Directory for the Publick Worship of God. The precise wording of the current PCA text dates to _________.]

ANTECEDENT TEXTS :
PCA 1973, DfW 11-6, Adopted text, as printed in the Minutes of General Assembly, p. 159
and
Continuing Presbyterian Church 1973, DfW 11-6, Proposed text, p. [72]
The Communion, or supper of the Lord, is to be celebrated frequently; the stated times to be determined by the Session of each congregation, as it may judge most for edification.

PCUS 1933, DfW XII-1
The Communion, or Supper of the Lord, is to be celebrated frequently ; the stated times to be determined by the Session of each congregation, as it may judge most for edification.

PCUS 1925, DfW XI-1, § 347
and
PCUS 1894, DfW XI-1
The Communion, or Supper of the Lord, is to be celebrated frequently; but how often may be determined by the session of each congregation, as they may judge most for edification.

PCUSA 1797, DfW VIII-1
The communion, or supper of the Lord, is to be celebrated frequently; but how often, may be determined by the minister and eldership of each congregation, as they may judge most for edification.

The Directory for the Publick Worship of God (1645), "Of the Celebration of the Communion"
The communion, or supper of the Lord, is frequently to be celebrated; but how often, may be considered and determined by the ministers, and other church-governors of each congregation, as they shall find most convenient for the comfort and edification of the people committed to their charge. And when it shall be administered, we judge it convenient to be done after the morning sermon.

Interesting comparative, showing that the current PCA BCO hasn't changed much from what was in play in 1645:

58-1. The Communion, or Supper of the Lord, is to be observed frequently; the stated times to be determined by the Session of each congregation, as it may judge most for edification.

[DIGEST : The substance of the current PCA text remains remarkably close to that of the 1645 Directory for the Publick Worship of God. The precise wording of the current PCA text dates to _________.]

ANTECEDENT TEXTS :
PCA 1973, DfW 11-6, Adopted text, as printed in the Minutes of General Assembly, p. 159
and
The Communion, or supper of the Lord, is to be celebrated frequently; the stated times to be determined by the Session of each congregation, as it may judge most for edification.

PCUS 1933, DfW XII-1
The Communion, or Supper of the Lord, is to be celebrated frequently ; the stated times to be determined by the Session of each congregation, as it may judge most for edification.

and
PCUS 1894, DfW XI-1
The Communion, or Supper of the Lord, is to be celebrated frequently; but how often may be determined by the session of each congregation, as they may judge most for edification.

PCUSA 1797, DfW VIII-1
The communion, or supper of the Lord, is to be celebrated frequently; but how often, may be determined by the minister and eldership of each congregation, as they may judge most for edification.

The Directory for the Publick Worship of God (1645), "Of the Celebration of the Communion"
The communion, or supper of the Lord, is frequently to be celebrated; but how often, may be considered and determined by the ministers, and other church-governors of each congregation, as they shall find most convenient for the comfort and edification of the people committed to their charge. And when it shall be administered, we judge it convenient to be done after the morning sermon.

That's really neat, Wayne....thanks for posting!

"Frequently" is a relative term. If I said that I "frequently" go to Siberia, and you found it was once a year for the past ten years that probably would seem like a good word to use. If I said that I frequently checked Facebook and you found out that this also was once a year for the past ten years, that would most likely seem like the wrong word. I think the appearance of frequency hinges on your estimation of the magnitude of an event. If your communion season runs Wednesday-Monday, twice a year probably feels frequent to a lot of the people involved.

Annual communion is frequent relative to the one-time administration of baptism. It is rare compared to daily prayer. So in order to get a sense of appropriate frequency you have to look at where communion falls in that continuum of observances.

ANTECEDENT TEXTS :
and

PCUS 1933, DfW XII-1

and
PCUS 1894, DfW XI-1

PCUSA 1797, DfW VIII-1

I'm intrigued (and saddened) by the loss of the word "comfort" from the purpose of the Lord's Supper. The 1645 Directory of Worship says the Lord's Supper is for "the comfort and edification of the people" which I have always found a beautiful summary of the benefits of the Supper, and a powerful argument for its frequent celebration. Many things are edifying, especially the reading and preaching of the Scriptures, but at the Table that edification becomes particularly comforting as our thoughts are brought back to the central truths of the gospel.

No offense to anyone who responded, but my question was not about the frequency of communion per say, but rather about how one is to understand the BCO regarding the issue. (Thank you Wayne.)

No, I am not looking to pick a fight. It is not my congregation that celebrates communion twice a year. My understanding is that the rationale is that the eucharist becomes that much more meaningful, and that the congregation appreciates this characteristic.

I was curious as to how much issues of polity, as opposed to theology, can be stretched before crying foul and here is a real world example.

You actually have two and maybe three issues here.
1) How frequent should communion be served?
2) How do we define certain words in constitutional documents and how do we flag violations?
3) Does the PCA (of which I am a part) have any priority/energy around matters of polity, ecclesiology and worship theology?

I feel the best arguments for frequency have to go to the weekly observance camp.
Constitutional documents should do away with intentionally vague language like "frequently"
And the PCA has practically no energy around issues such as this. They are considered local church business and conversation is basically viewed as opinion only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe many of the posts have been quite relevant to your question. The language of the BCO echos that of the DPW. Many churches that follow the DPW have communion once or twice a year. I don't see how this practice could be excluded from the language of the BCO, and I say this as one who greatly prefers weekly communion. Only if a congregation never practiced communion could they possibly run afoul of the BCO here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back