First to worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonGoodwin

Puritan Board Sophomore
This latest NHL season has had its share of expectations and surprises.

Most hockey analysts predicted that teams like Chicago, Philadelphia, and Columbus would finally snap out of their funk and actually start winning games. This has proven to be true.

Some teams have actually started to surprise even their fans: Phoenix and LA, to name a few.

However, this one just has me totally frustrated. How could the Sabres lose both highly prized unrestricted free agents? Managing partner Larry Quinn and GM Darcy Regier haven't given satisfactory reasons for why they let them walk away. Not to mention that defenseman Teppo Numminen is still recovering from open heart surgery to repair a torn valve, and no one knows if he will ever return to play the game (let alone with the Sabres).

As I write this, the Sabres have gone from being winners of the President's Trophy for best record last season to being the league's school of bottomfeeding catfish. I haven't seen any games, but just listening to the games on XM has become extremely painful.:(

I guess you better root for the Dallas Stars.:smug:
First, how did I know you were going to say that?
Second, not in a thousand years will I root for your former employer! I'd rather root for the Ottawa Senators or the much-hated Toronto Maple Leafs (and that's not saying much about division rivals).
Third, The Dallas Stars just had a Front Office shake-up. Doug Armstrong got fired. Sounds like things aren't going well for them right now if they have to do that.
Fourth, the only piece of silver lining to all this is that there is a much better chance of Christ's return before some teams get a chance to win it all. As the old saying goes, "Titles aren't everything. It's just the pinnacle of a career."

Second, not in a thousand years will I root for your former employer! I'd rather root for the Ottawa Senators or the much-hated Toronto Maple Leafs (and that's not saying much about division rivals).
Third, The Dallas Stars just had a Front Office shake-up. Doug Armstrong got fired. Sounds like things aren't going well for them right now if they have to do that.
Fourth, the only piece of silver lining to all this is that there is a much better chance of Christ's return before some teams get a chance to win it all. As the old saying goes, "Titles aren't everything. It's just the pinnacle of a career."
As Kenny Loggins said to Steve Perry, don't fight it, just like when you wrestled with reformed doctrine it was the final step to surrender and acceptance.

You closet Stars fan you.

As Kenny Loggins said to Steve Perry, don't fight it, just like when you wrestled with reformed doctrine it was the final step to surrender and acceptance.

Yeah, ok, whatever. Dream on.

Let's face it. I already have a clue that the Sabres will be golfing in April. However, your Stars won't be going to the Cup finals this year. Chicago is much improved, and so is Columbus. The LA Kings have given your Stars some fits lately. Phoenix may be a sleeper. Detroit is the perennial powerhouse as always.

However, I do have to congratulate Mike Modano for breaking Phil Housley's record. At least he didn't do it in Buffalo. I remember when Wayne Gretzky broke Phil Esposito's single-season goal scoring record, and he did it at the old Aud in downtown Buffalo. (Needless to say, that game wasn't over when they did the on-ice ceremony to commemorate his accomplishment. It completely threw the game momentum off.)

Let's face it. I already have a clue that the Sabres will be golfing in April. However, your Stars won't be going to the Cup finals this year. Chicago is much improved, and so is Columbus. The LA Kings have given your Stars some fits lately. Phoenix may be a sleeper. Detroit is the perennial powerhouse as always.

However, I do have to congratulate Mike Modano for breaking Phil Housley's record. At least he didn't do it in Buffalo. I remember when Wayne Gretzky broke Phil Esposito's single-season goal scoring record, and he did it at the old Aud in downtown Buffalo. (Needless to say, that game wasn't over when they did the on-ice ceremony to commemorate his accomplishment. It completely threw the game momentum off.)
Stars, Cowboys, Mavericks= the Dallas triple threat, all three are contenders and how sweet it is.

Stars, Cowboys, Mavericks= the Dallas triple threat, all three are contenders and how sweet it is.
Well, at least one of them will have a chance to break the "Skate in the Crease" curse.

Then again, maybe not.

Titles aren't everything, friend. Christ is everything.

Well, at least one of them will have a chance to break the "Skate in the Crease" curse.

Then again, maybe not.

This is true, but no need to get so heavy, Dallas can still win a Super Bowls, NBA titles and Stanley Cups, Christ didn't die for a game nor forbid finding leisure or delight in watching sports.

Then again, maybe not.

This is true, but no need to get so heavy, Dallas can still win a Super Bowls, NBA titles and Stanley Cups, Christ didn't die for a game nor forbid finding leisure or delight in watching sports.
Sorry, Travis, but you stand to be corrected. The Mavs have never won an NBA title. The Stars were only awarded one Stanley Cup, and were soundly defeated by the New Jersey Devils the following year. (Suffice it to say, but Modano, Lehtinen, and Zubov aren't getting any younger. Not only that, but the guy who had his skate in the crease in 1999 is now in the Stars FO.)

Having said all of the above, I have more respect for a fan who can stay with a team through the worst of times than for one who changes allegiances like the WWE. My wife is a diehard New Orleans Saints fan, but she followed my lead and became a Sabres fan.

I'll still be a Buffalo sports fan, just like one of my classmates in college was a Cowboys fan when they went 1-15 one season. That's what I call dedication.

Then again, maybe not.

Sorry, Travis, but you stand to be corrected. The Mavs have never won an NBA title. The Stars were only awarded one Stanley Cup, and were soundly defeated by the New Jersey Devils the following year. (Suffice it to say, but Modano, Lehtinen, and Zubov aren't getting any younger. Not only that, but the guy who had his skate in the crease in 1999 is now in the Stars FO.)

Having said all of the above, I have more respect for a fan who can stay with a team through the worst of times than for one who changes allegiances like the WWE. My wife is a diehard New Orleans Saints fan, but she followed my lead and became a Sabres fan.

I'll still be a Buffalo sports fan, just like one of my classmates in college was a Cowboys fan when they went 1-15 one season. That's what I call dedication.
Corrected for what? I said I could root for the teams to win championships, I didn't say a word about their accomplishments. And I've been a Cowboy fan all my life, its not my fault that losing is an exception to the franchise and that they have won more games in the Super Bowl era than any other franchise, all I know is there is a twelve year drought since the last ring. In Dallas contending isn't good enough, winning is expected, just the nature of the franchise.

Corrected for what? I said I could root for the teams to win championships, I didn't say a word about their accomplishments. And I've been a Cowboy fan all my life, its not my fault that losing is an exception to the franchise and that they have won more games in the Super Bowl era than any other franchise, all I know is there is a twelve year drought since the last ring. In Dallas contending isn't good enough, winning is expected, just the nature of the franchise.
I guess that says it all. However, it should also go without saying that it is just the nature of the metroplex -- not just the franchise. Same could be said for NYC.

Then again, there are some places that are just happy to finally get a championship trophy like the Carolina Hurricanes.

all I know is there is a twelve year drought since the last ring.
If you think that's bad, talk to the Chicago Blackhawks and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Even the Montreal Canadiens haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1993, and that is something they're not used to by any means when they have 24 Stanley Cups to brag about.

Oh, BTW. Did you see the Sabres @ Stars game back on 1.24.2008? The American Airlines Arena showed a total lack of class when they played Prince's "(Party Like It's) 1999." That's ok, because they're still partying with the Skate in the Crease Albatross. After all, Buffalo won that game 2-1 with both goals by Derek Roy.

Thanks for the two points!!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back