Expecting our 5th child

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDM

Puritan Board Junior
:banana:

Asking prayer for the upcoming arrival, Lord willing, in Feb/Mar 08.

Anyone here, who believe that children truly are a blessing from the Lord, get absolutely disgusting responses when people hear you are having more than X children?

. . . and this from Christians no less!

Oh, these Christians will tell you all day long (especially on Sundays) that children are a blessing and the Lord's heritage but in practice they're avoided like the plague.

Anyone here, who believe that children truly are a blessing from the Lord, get absolutely disgusting responses when people hear you are having more than X children?

Congratulations and yes, my own mother has never been excited about any of my wife's four pregnancies! And yet she loves each one of her grandchildren to death. I don't understand it. It is fear! Fear that somehow a blessing from God is actually a curse in some way.

May God continue to bless you, Chris.

Your comment about others avoiding kids like the plague reminded me of something interesting I've been observing in the pagan city of Seattle. About seven years ago there were various articles talking about how children were rare in the city, couples didn't want them, it interfered with careers and fun, etc.

So now, seven years later, I keep seeing all these happy mothers with 3 or 4 kids, ranging from infant to 6 years old, taking them to parks in the actual downtown, supervising their play and teaching them things. It is really an odd sight for some of the regular workers. They look at the children as if they are zoo animals.

I know a lot of professional couples who have switched to single income status and are homeschooling too, and not one of them is a professing Christian as far as I know. It is an interesting trend. Even the secular hard-driving young couples are starting to see children as a blessing.

Oh, these Christians will tell you all day long (especially on Sundays) that children are a blessing and the Lord's heritage but in practice they're avoided like the plague.
Prayin' for ya, brother!

You are speaking some truth here! We get it all the time. My personal favorite that really tests my civility is when we're in a store and a complete stranger makes a comment like, "Don't you know what causes that?" Or when they look at you and you know that's what they are thinking! It takes everything I've got not to slap that disgusted look off their faces.

:mad:

"Don't you know what causes that?"
"Yes, and we've been blessed greatly by it, thank you!" or worse "Yes, and we enjoy it very much, thank you! :smug:" (Yes, not the most modest, but neither is their question; the looks on their faces can be so worth it...they generally blush, see how rude they were, and scurry off since they didn't succeed at making you speechless)

"Don't you know what causes that?"
"Yes, and we've been blessed greatly by it, thank you!" or worse "Yes, and we enjoy it very much, thank you! :smug:" (Yes, not the most modest, but neither is their question; the looks on their faces can be so worth it...they generally blush, see how rude they were, and scurry off since they didn't succeed at making you speechless)
:rofl:

Thank you, LF! I will try to remember these next time! That's so much better than me walking away upset.

Awesome my brother. Our 5th is due December 30ish... Congratulations!

Yee-HAW! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

And as one who hatched out five then adopted a sixth, oh yeah....I've certainly heard the critical comments; comments which are often couched as "jokes".

When I told my mother I was expecting #4, there was first silence then she wearily asked "How often are you going to DO this to yourself?"

And they were not exactly excited when we announced we were adopting a teenage boy from Russia.

They love all our kids now, though.

Still, it's depressing to receive either outright criticism or thinly-veiled hostility in the form of teasing.

Well, none of that here, by jingo. I love having a large family, and sincerely rejoice with y'all. ;^)

Tell me, though...are you wanting to know in advance whether you're having a boy or girl? Or are you going to wait and be surprised?

Yee-HAW! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

And as one who hatched out five then adopted a sixth, oh yeah....I've certainly heard the critical comments; comments which are often couched as "jokes".

When I told my mother I was expecting #4, there was first silence then she wearily asked "How often are you going to DO this to yourself?"

And they were not exactly excited when we announced we were adopting a teenage boy from Russia.

They love all our kids now, though.

Still, it's depressing to receive either outright criticism or thinly-veiled hostility in the form of teasing.

Well, none of that here, by jingo. I love having a large family, and sincerely rejoice with y'all. ;^)

Tell me, though...are you wanting to know in advance whether you're having a boy or girl? Or are you going to wait and be surprised?

Well we've tried the surprised thing before and it was alright. But I think will find out boy/girl before the arrival.

Thanks to all.

Indeed this culture we live in today is a culture of death and destruction. It is so prevalent and intertwined with all aspects of our lives that even God's people have been infected by this poison.

May God be pleased to enlarge his people's hearts so we may walk in his way.

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back