Disney Buys LucasFilms

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Disney has bought LucasFilms for just over $4,000,000,000,000. They have announced that they want to re-boot (yet again!) the Star Wars franchise - coming out with a new Star Wars film every 2 or 3 years. Johnny Depp as C3PO?

What I'd like to ask George Lucas is: "Where do you cash a check for $4 billion?"

Disney has bought LucasFilms for just over $4,000,000,000,000. They have announced that they want to re-boot (yet again!) the Star Wars franchise - coming out with a new Star Wars film every 2 or 3 years. Johnny Depp as C3PO?

What I'd like to ask George Lucas is: "Where do you cash a check for $4 billion?"

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

I'm actually pretty excited about this. The last 3 movies were just not good, better than nothing, but not timeless like the previous 3. Really glad different people will be at the helm of this thing. The franchise has so much potential.

"Re-boot" is a bit of a misnomer. As a bit of Star Wars nerd (a reader of both canonical and non-canonical Star Wars books) Lucas always had in mind to make three trilogies. Episode IV, V, and VI were obviously the first made. He then went back and did a horrendous and comical job making I,II, and III. One of the key mistakes Lucas made in the storytelling (which are legion) of the prequels was to make Vader/Anakin the central character. He not only cast two horrible actors to play Anakin, but the dialogue and pacing of the three movies are terrible. He always had in mind to make VII, VIII, and IX, but thankfully it looks like he will only be a "consultant" on the next trilogy. Hopefully as well the next trilogy will follow Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn" trilogy.

Apparently it was 50% cash and 50% stock. Not that it makes a difference, that is a whole lot of cash. Hopefully they don't cross titles over, "Wish Upon a Death Star". Seeing as the last three Lucas films were not as good as the original three, I see nowhere else to go for Disney but up, in my opinion at least.

To make the investment pay off, Disney will have to increase the already bloated number of books, TV shows, video games and such based on offshoot story lines... plus make more movies than just the final trilogy. There will be no more caution for the sake of art. The goal will be to squeeze every drop of profit out of the franchise.

When quantity takes over like that, quality usually suffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back