Differences Among Reformed Denominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief1

Puritan Board Freshman
I live in the West Michigan area, which has many reformed denominations. I am creating this post to hopefully get detailed answers on theological differences amongst them, as it has been difficult to find the answers I have been looking for. Mainly, I am looking at differences between the PRC, URC, OPC, Free Reformed, and Canadian Reformed, as well as any other similiar churches. I am looking for the differences in doctrine, importantly the differences in the view on the covenant, marriage, election, the sabbath. I apologize if this has been posted before, but I know there are many people on here that may be able to help. I am not looking to debate which views are correct, I just would appreciate if someone with more knowledge than me/experience in multiple denominations would be able to detail the differences, especially with PRC, URC, and OPC. I have visited or listened to all of these denominations, but finding the doctrinal differences has been a challenge. I am not going to mention which one I came from, as it won't help anything.

Thank you very much in advance.

Here are some of the churches in West Michigan, and what you can expect from them:
CRC: Dutch Reformed (3 forms of unity), but crazy liberal, including women ministers and a fair amount of tolerance for homosexuality.
URCNA: Separated from the CRC and is more confessional. Allows exceptions to the confession on matters like the civil magistrate and non-literal views of Genesis 1.
OPC: Theologically very similar to the URCNA, but in the Presbyterian tradition (Westminster Confession). Many of the same exceptions are allowed. Somewhat famous for its preference for redemptive-historical preaching, Van Tillian presuppositionalism, and warm embrace of Vos's method of biblical theology, and theologically downstream of Old Princeton (Charles Hodge, A.A. Hodge, Alexander Archibald, B.B. Warfield). It does have some ministers that would lean more toward experimental preaching and a more confessional stance though.
RPCNA: More traditional Presbyterian Church, with few exceptions to the Westminster Confession, and exclusive psalmody practiced in worship (just psalms and no instruments). There is an RPCNA in Grand Rapids. For whatever reason, some folks have a hard time stomaching worship without a piano, but the denomination is solid.
PCA: similar to the OPC, but larger and with more difficulties in maintaining confessional adherence. More likely to have contemporary worship.
Protestant Reformed Church: Split from the CRC, led by Herman Hoeksema. Distinguished by unique views on covenant theology (the covenant is a bond of love), the gospel offer (the gospel isn't "freely offered" or a "well-meant offer"; you can't say "repent and believe and you will be saved;" instead, you have to say "those who are elect will believe," or something of that nature; I forget Hoeksema's exact phrasing); divorce (no remarriage after divorce), and justification (justification is eternal). While conservative in many respects, the PRC represents a schism and a departure from historic Reformed theology on these points, although many of them will tell you otherwise.
Free Reformed: Dutch church more conservative than the URCNA.
Heritage Reformed: Another Dutch church more conservative than the URCNA, but split from the Netherlands Reformed. Led more or less by Joel Beeke, with a heavy emphasis on experimental preaching.
Netherlands Reformed: A conservative Dutch church where, as I understand it, almost no one has assurance of salvation or partakes of communion.

I seem to recall a Presbyterian comparison chart in PDF form floating around on the Internet somewhere. I thought I downloaded it before it was pulled down, but now I'm having trouble finding it. Hmm..

EDIT: I found it and uploaded it for you here. I believe it may have at least some of the information you're after.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back