Daniel 9:27

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshingler

Puritan Board Freshman
This thread may belong in "Revelation and Eschatology", I'm not sure. I recently read Kim Riddlebarger's "Case For Amillennialism" and have also read Meredith Kline's discussion of Daniel 9:24-27. Both argue that the "He" in the first half of verse 27 is a reference back to the "Anointed One" of verse 26. However, I'm not sure either really discuss the "he" in the second half of the verse - who "will set up an abomination that causes desolation..." Is this commonly understood to be the Christ also, or is it now referring back to the "prince" or "ruler" of verse 26?

It seems clear to me that there are two antagonists in the passage. So, there are two antecedents possible for any given "he." The Messiah is the one building up, and the prince is the one tearing down. So it would make sense for the "he" in the first part of verse 27 to refer to the Messiah. but the "he" in the second half of the verse to refer to the prince.

However, I'm not sure either really discuss the "he" in the second half of the verse - who "will set up an abomination that causes desolation..." Is this commonly understood to be the Christ also, or is it now referring back to the "prince" or "ruler" of verse 26?

(1) Buy this.
(2) Here is the Geneva Bible:

Dan 9:25 - Know therefore and understand, [that] from (s) the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince [shall be] seven (t) weeks, and (u) threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

(s) That is, from the time that Cyrus gave them permission to depart.

(t) These weeks make forty-nine years, of which forty-six are referred to the time of the building of the temple, and three to the laying of the foundation.

(u) Counting from the sixth year of Darius, who gave the second commandment for the building of the temple are sixty-two weeks, which make 434 years, which comprehend the time from the building of the temple until the baptism of Christ.​

Dan 9:26 - And after threescore and two (x) weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but (y) not for himself: and the people of the (z) prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof [shall be] with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

(x) In this week of the seventy, will Christ come and preach and suffer death.

(y) He will seem to have no beauty, nor to be of any estimation; (Isa_53:2).

(z) Meaning Titus, Vespasians's son, who would come and destroy both the temple, and the people, without any hope of recovery.​

Dan 9:27 - And he (a) shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to (b) cease, (c) and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make [it] desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

(a) By the preaching of the Gospel he affirmed his promise, first to the Jews, and after to the Gentiles.

(b) Christ accomplished this by his death and resurrection.

(c) Meaning that Jerusalem and the sanctuary would be utterly destroyed because of their rebellion against God, and their idolatry: or as some read, that the plague will be so great, that they will all be astonished at them.

(1) Buy this.
(2)

Thanks Richard. I have Young's book on my list of things to purchase and read (it's a long list). I also found Sam Storms' discussion of this passage somewhat helpful. He argues for synthetic parallelism between vss. 26 and 27, which helps make more sense out of the two "he's" in verse 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back