Dancing part of human nature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AThornquist

Puritan Board Doctor
I was just watching my 1.3 yr. old nephew dance along to a toy of his (HE IS SO CUTE!) and then it occurred to me: babies wouldn't dance if it wasn't a part of human nature, right? How strange...

Or maybe those old fundies are right--dancing is wicked and we inherited it from a fallen Adam! :banana:

I was just watching my 1.3 yr. old nephew dance along to a toy of his (HE IS SO CUTE!) and then it occurred to me: babies wouldn't dance if it wasn't a part of human nature, right? How strange...

Or maybe those old fundies are right--dancing is wicked and we inherited it from a fallen Adam! :banana:

Then why would we have a dancing banana as an emoticon? :lol: Dancing to music is natural and completely within the realm of good gifts given to us by God. Dancing with the opposite sex before marriage is another matter altogether.

Every tribe and culture on earth has religious rites and beliefs...and also song and dance. We seem to be made to be religious, and also to sing and dance.

In my humble opinion dancing to the psalms transfers scriptural truths from the head to the heart. Perhaps that is why the psalms commend dance as an element of worship.

Since I can't dance a lick, I really have no dog in this fight (and BTW does that mean that all "dancing" cultures of antiquity had folks with 2 left feet like me?); but I had a phenomenal Christian former Baptist friend years ago joke with me that the reason God gave we humans alcohol and marital relations was so that we wouldn't dance! Go figure!

Our kids both would bob their heads and wave their hands to music by the time they were a couple of months old. My wife and I NEVER dance, but our 3 yr old dances whenever he hears music with a beat.

Whether or not dancing is sinful or not can't be established by whether or not a sinful-from-birth person, or every sinful people in all the world do it. "Natural" can be sinful, given that our nature is corrupted. Whether or not dancing is sin must be determined by the scriptures. I think we have adequate evidence there to dismiss the fundies' prohibition.

It is evident that Paul would not have had immediate access to enough water, or the requisite equipment, to enable immersion either in part or whole for the jailer and his family.

I sometimes to dance to a different drum.

It is evident that Paul would not have had immediate access to enough water, or the requisite equipment, to enable immersion either in part or whole for the jailer and his family.

I sometimes to dance to a different drum.

So you are saying, Paul didn't dance, or didn't dance in water?

I do not dance well, but I do dance with gusto!

I often lead the dancing when some of the families get together with all of the kids. I find it is a grat way to have families play together, adults, teens, and little kids all love to dance. At least a couple of times a year we rent a local hall & have a huge party with 6 to 10 other families. We make it potluck with a lot of wine, and end the evening with a couple of hours of dancing.

I lack skill, but I also lack the ability to be easily embarassed. :lol:

It has been so long since I was around legalist fundyism, that I had forgotten that people still try to make a serious claim that rythmic motion is a violation of Godès law.

I HATE to dance. But my babies do like to. I just figured they got that from their daddy, who is a good dancer. But I HATE dancing.

A little card was on my desk for a long time that said: "Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music."

Dancing is a natural response to how we feel and music draws that out. It is very easy to see a correlation between the style of music and the way people tend to dance to it. I used to thinking all dancing was wrong until I spent an evening with a group of believers when I was living in France. There are very few believers in France, and christian families from all over the region got together once a month to folk dance and fellowship. I didn't see any hint of immoral behavior. Dancing can simply be an expression of joy and happiness. It's just that our sinful world has degraded it.

:agree:

I have participated in Jewish folks dancing, that is really fun and definitly for someone i a better condition than me ;)

OH...Just in case it seemed like I did, I do NOT think dancing is a sin. Though dancing was forbidden at my Reformed Presbyterian college!

In my humble opinion dancing to the psalms transfers scriptural truths from the head to the heart. Perhaps that is why the psalms commend dance as an element of worship.

As an element of worship? A bit of a stretch, is it not, to call the two uses of the word "dance" in Psalm 149 and Psalm 150 as commending dance as an element (elements are required, recall) of worship? Or do you also see two edged swords as an element of worship?

I love to dance, my kids love to dance, we put the music on and dance around the house..
and on occasion my husband will join in..

And when we are dancing around the house, our dog comes and jumps up on me trying to join in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back