Communion

Status
Not open for further replies.

INsearch

Puritan Board Freshman
So I was wondering how many of you have trouble concentrating, or spending your time meditating on Christs sacrifice during communion? My pastor left the Church so we have a fill in guy till we find a new pastor, and today we started communion, and he read from scripture and made a point to say that we should be taking communion with a serious attitude and concentrate on Christs sacrifice. Well I have never really "concentrated" on Christs sacrifice during communion before, I have listened to the Scriptures...then just sat around waiting for my bread, and juice, but today I really tried to take seriously the communion (after all...scripture says we should) and at the same time stay concentrated on Christs sacrifice for me on the Cross. I found in order to concentrate I really had to keep kinda talking to myself about how Christ died for me...I found it difficult...how many of you found it very difficult to seriously concentrate on Christs sacrifice during Communion? got any advice for us, who still kinda lack in the concentration we wish we had?:think:

Like any spiritual discipline, it takes practice and persistence. Stay at it. Don't quit that practice of concentration. But in order to concentrate, you have to have something to concentrate on. As one help, spend some portion of the day or days before communion dwelling on aspects of Christ's ministry as described in Scripture. Then during communion, mentally get those thoughts back out and examine them again.
Roll that text over in your mind, examining the various facets of God's Word and how those truths apply to you.

Yes, my thoughts wandered when we had weekly communion. The last time we had it must have been six months ago, so that wandering thoughts do not bother me. Usually books on how to think properly are badly written, which shows that there are no hard guidelines for meditation on any subject. How much harder is it then to consider Christ's sacrifice?

The Westminster Larger Catechism says

Question 174: What is required of them that receive the sacrament of the Lord's Supper in the time of the administration of it?

Answer: It is required of them that receive the sacrament of the Lord's Supper, that, during the time of the administration of it, with all holy reverence and attention they wait upon God in that ordinance, diligently observe the sacramental elements and actions, heedfully discern the Lord's body, and affectionately meditate on his death and sufferings, and thereby stir up themselves to a vigorous exercise of their graces; in judging themselves, and sorrowing for sin; in earnest hungering and thirsting after Christ, feeding on him by faith, receiving of his fulness, trusting in his merits, rejoicing in his love, giving thanks for his grace; in renewing of their covenant with God, and love to all the saints.

I find it helpful to use this as a guideline and help to keep my thoughts on track.

For a more detailed aid see books such as Matthew Henry's "The Communicant's Companion" .

Thank you, Adam. You've reminded me that there were a number of such books back in that era. Willison for one. J.J. Janeway wrote another.

Thank you, Adam. You've reminded me that there were a number of such books back in that era. Willison for one. J.J. Janeway wrote another.

Yes. Willison, good stuff. I have just started reading that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back