Cold remedies

Status
Not open for further replies.

~~Susita~~

Puritan Board Junior
Getting another head cold. Any remedies would be great, I need my voice for midterms (have to sing).

Very hot lemon juice & honey, with a dash of cayenne will temporarily improve laryngitis. If you can get it there's a natural remedy called Airborne which you drop into water and drink after it effervesces.

I was always told to gargle hot saltwater. It would work for about 3 minutes and then my throat would start hurting again. A friend of mine said to shoot whisky to get it to go away. Don't. It doesn't work

If congestion's a problem . . . try cutting out milk / dairy. That's something that's really helped me (whenever I get a cold, it always seems to go to my chest for FOREVER) . . . it's also helped my sister (who's had to sing when she's got a cold before - not fun!). And ditto to honey-lemon (though I've never tried the cayenne!)

Originally posted by Draught Horse
A friend of mine said to shoot whisky to get it to go away. Don't. It doesn't work

You stopped too early...the pain goes away after a while, anyway...:lol:

Originally posted by crhoades
A friend of mine said to shoot whisky to get it to go away. Don't. It doesn't work

On one hand it does warm the chest and the high alcohol content kills all the germs, and their seed, and so on. But I had this bad experience one time. I drank not even half an ounce and was throwing up the next morning.

On one hand it does warm the chest and the high alcohol content kills all the germs, and their seed, and so on. But I had this bad experience one time. I drank not even half an ounce and was throwing up the next morning.

Cheap stuff will do that to ya.:p I'm not a big fan of shots anyways...Slow sippin' stuff.

Cheap stuff will do that to ya.:p I'm not a big fan of shots anyways...Slow sippin' stuff.

It was Glen Salen scotch. I saw this movie once, "Stay," worst thing I have seen in my life. Postmodern nihilism with a vengeance. Made Nietzche look visionary. Anyway, it was so bad that my buddy Faris and me decided to go chew glass and shoot scotch to get the bad feeling out of us.

Some good ole chicken soup with lots of vegetables mixed in will help cure those winter colds and good for a sore throat too. Also good on a cold New England day/night.

The best thing that I've found is a product called Sambucol. It's actually elderberry which is virologist studied/tested and proven to fight viruses. Also take 1000mg vitamin C every hour to bowel tolerence and gargle with peroxide.

my :2cents:

If congestion's a problem . . . try cutting out milk / dairy. That's something that's really helped me (whenever I get a cold, it always seems to go to my chest for FOREVER) . . . it's also helped my sister (who's had to sing when she's got a cold before - not fun!).

Also good advice. I've found that just about every child that's brought to our office with ear infections, asthma, sinus problems, chronic colds, etc. is greatly improved or fixed by eliminating dairy.

[Edited on 3-4-2006 by Scot]

No MILK! NO straight Juice. Have that lemon juice and honey in hot tea.

Nyquil is good.

Tea tree oil is a must. Some in a hot bath, some on a warm damp washcloth placed on your chest, boil water with a few drops in it. Works better than Vaporub...though I keep both on hand.

Don't forget the vitamin C and sleep! If you need, sleep reclining instead of laying all the way down.

Is there a way you get them to put off the singing portion of your exams?

nyquil
especially the liquid stuff.

Wow lotsa replies! :banana:

Yeah I started taking that the moment I felt sick. Had my first monthly check-up with the doctor because I'm on accutane and he put me on Augmentin. It's a pretty strong one and might be helping.

Originally posted by turmericVery hot lemon juice & honey, with a dash of cayenne will temporarily improve laryngitis. If you can get it there's a natural remedy called Airborne which you drop into water and drink after it effervesces.

Yeah as a singer lemon, honey, and tea are muy importante but what's cayenne? Have to ask mum about that. Tried Airborne last month, even before I got sick, didn't really do too much.

Originally posted by Draught HorseI was always told to gargle hot saltwater. It would work for about 3 minutes and then my throat would start hurting again. A friend of mine said to shoot whisky to get it to go away. Don't. It doesn't work

My parents are big on the salt water. And totees :lol: I took a few shots of Maker's Mark back in December, seemed to help. Helped with sleeping, too :lol:

Originally posted by PuddleGlumTry cutting out milk / dairy.

Oh yeah! I just flat out stopped drinking it a long time ago because combine that and the "great" air in Bakersfield... :banghead: Is your sister a soprano or alto?

Originally posted by ScotThe best thing that I've found is a product called Sambucol. It's actually elderberry which is virologist studied/tested and proven to fight viruses. Also take 1000mg vitamin C every hour to bowel tolerence and gargle with peroxide.

Will look into that. And Peroxide? As in hydrogen peroxide?? Never heard of that.

Originally posted by LadyFlyntNo MILK! NO straight Juice. Have that lemon juice and honey in hot tea.

Tea tree oil is a must. Some in a hot bath, some on a warm damp washcloth placed on your chest, boil water with a few drops in it. Works better than Vaporub...though I keep both on hand.

Don't forget the vitamin C and sleep! If you need, sleep reclining instead of laying all the way down.

Is there a way you get them to put off the singing portion of your exams?

No juice because of the sugar? Makes sense.

Midterms - the perfect time to become ill! :lol: I'll ask if he'll let me do the singing portion at another time, but I doubt it because the test is so long that we have to do it on 2 separate days.

Thanks, y'all!

How about Zinc? You can get Zinc tablets at your local pharmacy that taste like orange or some citrus fruit for medicinal purposes. Savor a few lozenges and supposedly they do you good. Though, I heard its effectiveness is lessened if you don't use it through the duration of a cold, and from the onset of sniffles and first sign.

http://preventdisease.com/home/weeklywellness98.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back