Classical Archives

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mere housewife

Not your cup of tea
I thought some pb members might also be interested: we were using rhapsody.com for listening to classical music online (it's cheaper than rebuilding our cd library which had to be left in Mexico), but I just signed us up at Classical Archives -- they have *way* better selection (quite an impressively massive one actually), much more intelligent organisation, and offer a free 14 day trial for unlimited streaming plays -- plus it looks like it is available in other countries (whereas rhapsody is merely a stateside phenomenon). It's 9.99 a mo. thereafter.

(So I have just saved Ruben five dollars: I am his cash cow.)

Or you could try shoutcast.com

Hundreds of genres and literally thousands of stations. And it's free.

If you want to hear something by Telemann, just search. Or if your taste runs to Ina-gadda-da-vida, someone(s) somewhere are playing that virtually 24 hours/day (why, I don't know!)

But radio stations carry advertising, pledge drives, and can't be trusted to match your mood.

Some of those on Shoutcast will carry advertising, but many don't.

The deal with Shoutcast is that they have a software program that enables anyone to be their own broadcaster. So the owner of Joe's Garage might want to broadcast Led Zeppelin 24/7, while Steve's Hippie Reject Organic Grocery down the street might sign on to broadcast Klezmer music. Or, as many do, a radio station might use the software to open up some additional venues for their product. You just have to try one out, and move on if there are ads.

But unless there's an all Galuppi station and another all D. Scarlatti station and an all Paisiello station, it's unlikely that I'll be able to listen to what I want.

I did find the radio station I most often listened to in Mexico City, though.

Sorry. We don't got no galuppi todays. You comes back tomorrow. [in my best Chico Marx voice]

Wanna buy a duck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back