Church Elder Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biblical Eldership by Alexander Strauch. I read it this year and found it to be a very engaging read. It has a companion book that is a condensed version if you just want to hit some of the major points for a leadership class or something. I actually heard about it here on PB.

Biblical Eldership by Alexander Strauch. I read it this year and found it to be a very engaging read. It has a companion book that is a condensed version if you just want to hit some of the major points for a leadership class or something. I actually heard about it here on PB.

I'm not sure if this is what your talking about as far as a "companion book" but there is a workbook that goes along with it for both the trainer and the trainee that are supposed to be used in conjunction with and in addition to the original book. He does not recommend that you use the workbook instead of the original book because many of the exercises reference the original book and assume that you have read it.

Thanks Ken. That's a good starting place. The review I read at 9 Marks seemed to make it out to be a very thorough resource. How do some of the Presbyterian elders feel about this book, and do you have any other recommendations?

I second "The Ruling Elder by Samuel Miller, and can't pass up suggesting
"The Elder and His Work" by David Dickson.

Another good work is "Taking Heed to the Flock" by Peter Y. DeJong, which deals
specifically with visitation.

Certainly you should look at A.A. Hodge's book on the Westminster Confession,
and/or Shaw's recently reprinted one.

For more recent material, please look at John Sittema's "With a Shepherd's
Heart". It's the best practical book for elders that I'm aware of.

Thanks all. I have a couple of men that I would like to start training more intensely to fill eldership positions. I'm certain these resources will help immensely.

Who is (or was) Strauch? I don't think his books include any information about him.

From Sermonaudio:

Alexander Strauch was raised in New Jersey and converted to Christ at a Bible camp in New York State. He received his undergraduate degree from Colorado Christian University and went on to earn his Masters in Divinity degree from Denver Seminary. For over thirty years he has served as an elder at Littleton Bible Chapel near Denver, Colorado. Additionally, he has taught philosophy and New Testament literature at Colorado Christian University. A gifted Bible teacher and popular speaker, Mr. Strauch has helped thousands of churches worldwide through his expository, writing ministry. He is the author of Biblical Eldership, The New Testament Deacon, Men and Women: Equal Yet Different, The Hospitality Commands, Agape Leadership (with Robert L. Peterson), and Meetings That Work. Mr. Strauch and his wife, Marilyn, reside in Littleton, Colorado, near their four adult daughters.

Are there any examples out there of examinations that churches/ordination councils give to prospective elders

Who is (or was) Strauch? I don't think his books include any information about him.

From Sermonaudio:

Alexander Strauch was raised in New Jersey and converted to Christ at a Bible camp in New York State. He received his undergraduate degree from Colorado Christian University and went on to earn his Masters in Divinity degree from Denver Seminary. For over thirty years he has served as an elder at Littleton Bible Chapel near Denver, Colorado. Additionally, he has taught philosophy and New Testament literature at Colorado Christian University. A gifted Bible teacher and popular speaker, Mr. Strauch has helped thousands of churches worldwide through his expository, writing ministry. He is the author of Biblical Eldership, The New Testament Deacon, Men and Women: Equal Yet Different, The Hospitality Commands, Agape Leadership (with Robert L. Peterson), and Meetings That Work. Mr. Strauch and his wife, Marilyn, reside in Littleton, Colorado, near their four adult daughters.

Thanks, Ken. Wow! He raised four girls and is still sane. Quite an accomplishment!

What are some of the best resources for elder training?

The Bible.

It's the best. :up:

Do you feel that all other orthodox resources on training church elders should be disregarded?

Ryan,

I'm sorry, I was being coy when I wrote that. I think the resources mentioned previously are really quite excellent. I've read a good number of them as I've been in Elder training twice in two different bodies.

I wish I knew another reference we studied but there was a really good short book on the Office of Deacon that we studied. I think it important for Elders to study the Deacon's role (and vice versa) so division of labor as well as the leadership role that Deacons play in their service to the Body is understood. It's hard to oversee an Office if you don't understand it.

I also believe that studying the Confession of Faith in-depth is profoundly beneficial in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back