Christians & Classical Education

Is "Classical" education "Christian" education?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No more than I consider Aeschylus to be a 'Christian' author, or macaroni and cheese to be a 'Christian' meal, or the tree outside my window to be a 'Christian' tree; but all of these things in various ways display His glory, and I think a classical education has an advantage over much of what passes currently in that regard. I think just reading classical literature forces one to seriously consider God more than many 'Christian' literature programs do.

I'm not sure how to vote. I think that Classical Education *can* be Christian, if you make it that way.

I homeschool and we use a curriculum called Tapestry of Grace. We are studying classical literature and such, but on the framework of scripture and God's Sovereign hand in ALL things in history. Each author, philosopher, theologian that we come up against is viewed through the lense of scripture and how they lined up.....or didn't.

-----Added 7/21/2009 at 07:56:24 EST-----

I went back and voted *NO* because, as it stands, without adding the framework of scripture, it is not.

To answer "Yes" would be to assume that the Scriptures give specific detail on what method we must use, or how we must educate our children. That we must educate them in the Scriptures is true of course, but after that I think the Bible allows for a fair amount of liberty in this regard. Although we generally prefer a classical model in educateing our children, I've seen an almost blind devotion to it from others. I'm sorry, but as cool as it is to tell my Reformed friends that my kids speak Latin, I'd rather they learn Spanish, French and Chinese. And many of the classical works are only marginally beneficial to most people.

Bottom line, the Scriptures give us a broad outline, we have to fill it in and we need to be careful not to bind the consciences of other believers with how we've decided to fill in those blanks.

we need to be careful not to bind the consciences of other believers with how we've decided to fill in those blanks.

I agree -- I think it has always been recognized that classical education was not suitable for everyone? (and I have met some people who haven't learned critical thinking etc. that it is promoted as being guaranteed to instill, so well as others who had a much more haphazard education.)

We live in an ordered universe -- certain laws and processes can be observed and discovered that are useful for understanding the realm of reason and the natural world. I think the "ancients" did an incredible job in discovering principles of math, science, and critical thinking -- but only because their work reflects the order that God Himself created.

As a homeschooling Mom, I try to draw on the best resources and constantly remind my kids that what we learn must be consistent with what God has revealed in His word to be true. Aristotelian logic is certainly a worthy subject. A Greek play that wraps a story line around women refusing their husbands, well I don't see that as a worthy part of my child's education just because it's Classical Literature. Familiarity with Latin because of its contribution to modern, western languages? that's great. Spending hours translating ancient works? I'd rather see it spent studying scripture. Pick what's useful for you and your family.

Even the Bible tells stories of adultery; there's a difference between the glorification and the tragedy of sin -- one of the reasons the classics are classics is because those ancient pagans understood so well not only the fleeting attractiveness but also the terrible tragic cycles of sin.

Strictly speaking the answer is no. Classical refers to pagan Greek and Roman authors and can not properly be considered Christian.

If you are referring to a method (Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric), then yes, it can be Christian.

although we generally prefer a classical model in educateing our children, i've seen an almost blind devotion to it from others. I'm sorry, but as cool as it is to tell my reformed friends that my kids speak latin, i'd rather they learn spanish, french and chinese.

Amen!

No, it's not. That doesn't mean it's wrong.

I would argue that the vast majority of world history isn't Christian, but that doesn't mean it's not worth studying.

I would argue that all of world history is worth studying because it's the work of our Sovereign God.

I agree! I cannot say how much it has increased our faith as we have studied history and seen God's hand moving in EVERYTHING!

If nothing else, it has given us our motto "It ain't always about US!" :lol:

My wife teaches at a classical Christian school, and starting this year two of our three kids will attend there. I love the idea that a classical education reinforces the idea of an intentional, holistic view of reality; however, as the motto of our school says, there is no understanding without the cross (nullus intellectus sine cruce). Therefore, I would have to agree with the notion that classical education creates a framework within which we can approach God through knowledge and learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back