Catacombs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I just finished reading a short book called "Martyr of the Catacombs". I had read it a long time ago and thought I'd read it again. I'm not sure how much of the story was fact or fiction, but the general description of what it was like to live as a Christian back then inside the catacombs, the cost of discipleship, etc., was fascinating and a bit humbling.

I was wondering if anybody has read any other books that describe that era. There's a little bit in Foxe's Book of Martyrs, but I wonder if there are any other good books or accounts you've read as well. Its a fascinating time in the history of the church where God's power was very evident as these people lived under such deplorable conditions and faced death with such bravery.

Bob,

I have not read this book but from what I can tell it looks like good inspiring historical fiction. The suffering of the early Christian Church is something far removed from our experiences as Christians in America today, though many others in 16th/17th century Europe, as well as 20th century Russia and China, and elsewhere know all too well the horrors of persecution and the grace of God that is thereby exhibited in his people.

As Tertullian said, "The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church."

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Bob,
I have not read this book but from what I can tell it looks like good inspiring historical fiction. The suffering of the early Christian Church is something far removed from our experiences as Christians in America today, though many others in 16th/17th century Europe, as well as 20th century Russia and China, and elsewhere know all too well the horrors of persecution and the grace of God that is thereby exhibited in his people.

I agree. The grace of God is an amazing thing to behold in the lives of the martyrs, both past and present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back