Can anybody help? 3 Greek instances to decipher --

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Hello all. Was able to get the 300 or so Greek instances converted except for these 3. The Gentleman that does the Greek couldnt make them, or parts of them out. Any help would be appreciated.

1. 1715182380894.png
2. 1715182405777.png
3. 1715182444691.png

His responses for each are the following:

1. Unreadable
2. ἀπείρα(?)ος
3. ἀλλά [Unreadable] ἡγοῦμαι

Again, thank you in advance, and any help is much appreciated.

Any way to provide larger or higher resolution images, and ideally a little more of the surrounding context?

Without seeing more context I think 3. almost has to be from Philippians 3:8 - ἀλλὰ μενοῦνγε καὶ ἡγοῦμαι - variously translated more than that; yea doubtless; indeed. It is minus the καὶ but the first joined characters in the middle word are a ligature for μεν and the next character is conceivably a broken letter block of a ligature for οῦ, and it pretty clearly ends with νγε.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Phil. I am a little busy at the moment, I will get back A.S.A.P. with what you have requested.

Without seeing more context I think 3. almost has to be from Philippians 3:8 - ἀλλὰ μενοῦνγε καὶ ἡγοῦμαι - variously translated more than that; yea doubtless; indeed. It is minus the καὶ but the first joined characters in the middle word are a ligature for μεν and the next character is conceivably a broken letter block of a ligature for οῦ, and it pretty clearly ends with νγε.
Hey Phil,
Thank you so much for being patient. Here are the instances in order, with a little context around them.

burgr1.jpg

burgr2.jpg

burgr3.jpg

By context 1. is plainly from Hebrews 10:29 - δοκεῖτε - do you think, even though the printing has a couple of characters wrong, or again uses some broken letter blocks.

Last edited:
By context 1. is plainly from Hebrews 10:29 - δοκεῖτε - do you think, even though the printing has a couple of characters wrong.
Thank you so much. Yes, when I send it to him, I just send the words with no context. maybe the context is something I should be adding as well. Thank you so much for the help. I am clueless when it comes to Greek, especially when the ligatures get involved.

2. is apparently ἀπείραϛός, a variation of ἀπείραστός - unable to be tempted, see James 1:13 - that uses a ϛ (stigma) in place of the more common στ (sigma-tau)

Last edited:
(note the kai abbreviation (second one),
1715208784633.png

I know my eyes aren't what they used to be, but where are you seeing that?

when I send it to him, I just send the words with no context. maybe the context is something I should be adding as well.
I would. In cases where the characters aren't immediately obvious, it often provides a means for tracking things down. It still requires a willingness to take the time to do some searching, so depending on their circumstances someone may or may not be prone to go to that extent. I'm more than willing to try and help in those cases that might come back undetermined.

Thank you guys so much for the help. I would rather have 1 unknown out of 300, than 3. This is a life saver. I will take you up on your offer Phil if it happens again, and thank you so much Naphtali for your expertise.

Back