C.S. Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
"It is only our bad temper that we put down to being tired or worried or hungry; we put our good temper down to ourselves."

"Logic! Why don't they teach logic at these schools?"

"Perfect humility dispenses with modesty."

"To make Christianity a private affair while banishing all privacy is to relegate it to the rainbow's end or the Greek Calends."

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."

"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

"Disobedience to conscience is voluntary; bad poetry, on the other hand, is usually not made on purpose."

"Who can endure a doctrine which would allow only dentists to say whether our teeth were aching, only cobblers to say whether our shoes hurt us, and only governments to tell us whether we were being well governed?"

"Those who would like the God of scripture to be more purely ethical, do not know what they ask."

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere--'Bibles laid open, millions of surprises,' as Herbert says, 'fine nets and stratagems.' God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous."

"Of all bad men religious bad men are the worst."

"History is a story written by the finger of God."

"So many things--nay every real thing--is good if only it will be humble and ordinate."

"Looking for God--or Heaven--by exploring space is like reading or seeing all Shakespeare's plays in the hope that you will find Shakespeare as one of the characters..."

"Odd, the way the less the Bible is read the more it is translated."

"The most valuable thing the Psalms do for me is to express the same delight in God which made David dance."

'Safe?' said Mr. Beaver...'Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. but he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'"

“For my own part I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books, and I rather suspect that the same experience may await many others. I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

"There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight."

From the 1993 film "Shadowlands" starring the great American actor Anthony Hopkins as C.S Lewis.
[video=youtube;lGEx9H7c36c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGEx9H7c36c[/video]

Good to see you quoting a fellow Ulsterman. :cheers2:

After the Shenandoah Valley and the Outer Banks, Ulster is perhaps my favorite place on earth. :cheers2:

C.S. Lewis: "An Ulster Scot may come to disbelieve in God, but not to wear his weekday clothes on the Sabbath."

After Ulster (and the rest of Ireland), the American South is probably my favourite place on earth. Long live the CSA.:bouncing:

one of my favorite Lewis quotes...

"If you can't explain a thing to someone simply, chances are you haven't really understood it yourself." C.S. Lewis

more classic Lewis...

It is safe to tell the pure in heart that they shall see God, for only the pure in heart want to. C. S. Lewis

Education without religion, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil. C.S. Lewis

God is the only comfort, He is also the supreme terror: the thing we most need and the thing we most want to hide from. He is our only possible ally, and we have made ourselves His enemies. Some people talk as if meeting the gaze of absolute goodness would be fun. They need to think again. They are still only playing with religion. C.S. Lewis

A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.
C.S. Lewis

Heaven offers nothing that a mercenary soul can desire. C.S. Lewis

We must not suppose that if we succeeded in making everyone nice we should have saved their souls. A world of nice people, content in their own niceness, looking no further, turned away from God, would be just as desperately in need of salvation as a miserable world. C.S. Lewis

A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.
C.S. Lewis

Samuel,

Which work is this from? I don't remember seeing it in Lewis. That is an excellent thought.

lewis continued...

C.S. Lewis

This comes from The Problem of Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back