Building a forge/Forging a sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServantofGod

Puritan Board Junior
Does anyone know of any useful books on building a simple forge, and on the art of sword making? I am aiming to build one in my back yard, but lack enough adequate/serious materiel to continue.

It's late enough for me and I won't go into detail, but here is a start:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/UnCategorized/1975-09-01/How-To-Build-Your-Own-Forge.aspx

There are probably a hundred ways to make your own forge, depending on what you want to do. Before making a sword, I'd start on something simpler like trying to make a cold chisel. Tempering is an art in itself--more complex than figuring out how to heat the metal.

I made a couple of knives using a metal bucket lined with fire clay as a forge. Charcoal for fuel and a shop-vac reversed and hooked up to an iron pipe as a blower. The knives weren't pretty, but they kept an edge.

Does anyone know of any useful books on building a simple forge, and on the art of sword making? I am aiming to build one in my back yard, but lack enough adequate/serious materiel to continue.

Wherein dost thou requirest a home-fashioned "sharper than any two-edged" sword?

I'd buy an anvil first and practice my hammer swinging a bit. :)

What Vic said is very wise. You really need to start out learning how to 'read' the heat of metals in the forge, learn how to work it, and develop other basic skills first. I'm at best a hack blacksmith. I have a couple of friends who are very good. It takes a lot of skill and experience to even shape a sword let alone temper one. I've made a few knives. Some of them have turned out pretty well. Others, especially, the early ones weren't so hot.

Welcome to the Frontpage is a forum where you can pick up a good bit of information.

Wherein dost thou requirest a home-fashioned "sharper than any two-edged" sword?

I'd buy an anvil first and practice my hammer swinging a bit. :)

I have a four and a half pound hammer. Is that heavy enough for small undertakings? :um:

How To Build Your Own Forge

There are probably a hundred ways to make your own forge, depending on what you want to do. Before making a sword, I'd start on something simpler like trying to make a cold chisel. Tempering is an art in itself--more complex than figuring out how to heat the metal.

I made a couple of knives using a metal bucket lined with fire clay as a forge. Charcoal for fuel and a shop-vac reversed and hooked up to an iron pipe as a blower. The knives weren't pretty, but they kept an edge.

Stupid question: What did you use for a smokestack? And how high above your forge was it? Is 12 inches the standard distance for the flow at the top of the stack?

How To Build Your Own Forge

Stupid question: What did you use for a smokestack? And how high above your forge was it? Is 12 inches the standard distance for the flow at the top of the stack?

My crummy little forge didn't have a smokestack. It was a big bucket lined with fire clay sitting on fire brick in the back yard where there was plenty of breeze. It was next to an apple tree so I could look at the heated metal in the shade instead of direct sunlight.

I originally built it as a foundry for melting aluminum and copper. It was a larger version of Dave Gingery's foundry: Dave Gingery's Charcoal Foundry

But before you start building a big forge, you might want to consider a gas version. It is much easier to control temperature than a charcoal setup:

Lindsay: Gingery- Forge & Heat Treat

As Lawrence said, learn about reading temperature of heated metal by color. Read as much as you can about it before committing to a project. Some metals give off dangerous fumes (like galvanized steel), so be prepared.

You might also want to find a blacksmith in your area and watch/work with him. Most are very willing to teach in interested student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back