Bow Ties (problem solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
For Easter Sunday I wanted to wear a nice, new bow tie but didn't want to pay for shipping. After asking around at work I found a local seamstress who can make a quality bow ties for under $10 bucks.

:banana:

I guess my question is, why would you want a bow tie?

OK, young whippersnapper! For the last several years bow ties are the only ties I wear. Usually that means a bow tie 5-6 times per week.

Call it the nerd's revenge. Even though they are easier to tie than a Windsor knot, people assume that you must possess some rare kind of gnosis to be able to handle them. A couple of weeks ago I officiated at a wedding where the mother of the bride asked me to tie her husband's bow tie. I stood behind him and tied it. He commented that while the position looked strange, we were in Palm Springs afterall where such things were accepted (Palm Springs is noted as a retirement community and mecca for gay men).

BTW - his bow tie was more expertly tied than any of the groomsmen or even the groom.

A couple of weeks ago I officiated at a wedding where the mother of the bride asked me to tie her husband's bow tie. I stood behind him and tied it. He commented that while the position looked strange, we were in Palm Springs afterall where such things were accepted (Palm Springs is noted as a retirement community and mecca for gay men).

Dennis, you are not helping sell me on the bow tie with this anecdote! :lol:

Bow ties are the only ties ties I wear. Not only are the cool & trendy ... you don't have to worry about them as getting in your soup.

I can asked her about shipping but I don't think so. She's going to make me two to get started, both are seersucker...one blue and white plaid and the other red or brown and white plaid. I thought they would be nice for summer. She is extremely generous, I have a feeling she'll charge no more than $15 for the two. She is a church goin' lady as well and thought it was cool that I would wear a bow tie to church. She had never seen one tied before so I gave her a quick lesson.

j

I love bow ties. My Dad always wore them, so I started wearing them to remember him. I now probably have 60 or 70 bow ties, including the ones I inherited from my father when he passed away.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new bow tie from Brooks Brothers to wear for Easter Sunday. Mauve with little blue and white doodads.

Rob, what's even better is that The Tie Bar has started selling slim and pointed-end bow ties, both of which work better for me than ordinary butterfly bows. Between them and The Cordial Churchman, I'm set.

I've purchased three bow ties on eBay from someone in China. The ties were 99 cents and shipping was $5. They are good quality and this person has quite a selection.

I also purchased a tie from The Cordial Churchman site that was very nice.

She's going to make me two to get started, both are seersucker...one blue and white plaid and the other red or brown and white plaid.

Seersucker bow ties seem to be the zeitgeist of the bow tie world right now, along with the classic Madras plaid (if I were going to order from The Cordial Churchman anytime soon, I'd be going for Madras right now).

I'm not sure what a zeitgeist is...

The lady brought in a few patterns to choose from so I ordered two slims. The Tie Bar has some excellent patterned ties but they charge $20 to ship to Canada.

I'm not sure what a zeitgeist is...

Zeitgeist: spirit of the time.

How can they charge that much to ship to Canada? They're based in Chicago, of all places?

Good taste on the slims. Butterfly bows work for most, but for guys with thin faces, like myself, slims or points are the only way.

Zeitgeist...got it. I was thinking spirit of the season, warm, sunny weather, etc. The bat wing bow ties I have now are thick and can be hot so I wanted something cooler.

Well, the seamstress finished two prototypes for me to look at and she seems pretty frustrated about making them. lol She is still making me two but maybe Tom can post a link to the seller on eBay...we can have a look Monday.

If you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you check out their bow ties. The one here has them at a price of 7.99. They are silk ties. The cut on them is more of a vintage cut. They have a good basic collection of colours. One caveat, if you neck sizes is larger than 17-1/2 they will not work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back