Book About Preaching as a Gift for a Pastor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulCLawton

Puritan Board Freshman
What do you think about giving a book about preaching as a gift to a Pastor? Good idea, or does it come across like giving someone a stick of deodorant; "You really need this..."? And any thoughts on Preaching and Preachers specifically?

I don't think a pastor would take it that way, unless he is really insecure about his preaching already. You might consider giving him a card with the gift or just telling him in person something like, "I've really been blessed by your sermons. I appreciate all your hard work you put in preparing them. I just wanted to get you something to say thanks for all you do."

or does it come across like giving someone a stick of deodorant; "You really need this..."?

That's amazing. Coffee just came out of my nose.

Anyway. I think it's a wonderful idea. It's not at all offensive to give someone a book on a subject that are involved with so personally and passionately. I think the hard part will be trying to find out what he already has.

For ideas though, perhaps startt here?
The True Church Conference Bookstore List has some good suggestions:

In addition to
Preaching & Preachers- Martyn Lloyd-Jones (as you mentioned)

The also list:
Preaching: Supremacy of God in Preaching- John Piper
Preaching: Between Two Worlds- John Stott
Preaching: Spirit Empowered Preaching- Arturo Azurdia
Preaching: Preach the Word- Ryken
Preaching: Majesty of God in the OT- Kaiser
Preaching: Feed My Sheep- Al Mohler
Preaching: Christ-Centered Preaching- Bryan Chapell
Preaching: Exegetical Fallacies (2nd Ed.)- D.A. Carson
Preaching: Anointed Expository Preaching- Stephen Olford
Preaching: Expository Genius of Calvin- Steven Lason
Preaching: Proclaiming a Cross-Centered Theology- Together for the Gospel
Preaching: He is Not Silent- Albert Mohler

Try also;

Pastoral Ministry-General: Dear Timothy- Tom Ascol
Pastoral Ministry-General: Christian Ministry- Charles Bridges
Pastoral Ministry-General: The Reformed Pastor- Richard Baxter
Pastoral Ministry-General: Lectures to My Students- Charles Spurgeon
Pastoral Ministry-General: The Cross and Christian Ministry- D.A. Carson
Pastoral Ministry-General: Brothers, We Are Not Professionals- John Piper
Pastoral Ministry-General: Sheperding God’s Flock- Jay Adams
Pastoral Ministry-General: For Us and Our Salvation- Nichols
Pastoral Ministry-General: Liberation Ministry- Hughes

Also;

Leadership: Biblical Eldership- Alexander Strauch
Leadership: Elders in Congregational Life- Phil Newton
Leadership: Biblical Eldership- John Piper
Leadership: The New Testament Deacon- Alexander Strauch
Leadership: Polity- Mark Dever
Leadership: Find Us Faithful: Leadership that Leaves a Legacy- Olford

Finally?

Church Life - General: Nine Marks of a Healthy Church- Mark Dever
Church Life - General: Manual of Church Order- J.L. Dagg
Church Life - General: Deliberate Church- Mark Dever
Church Life - General: Life in the Father’s House- Wayne Mack
Church Life - General: Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life- Don Whitney
Church Life - General: What is a Healthy Church?- Mark Dever
Church Life - General: Twelve Challenges Churches Face- Mark Dever
Church Life - General: What is a Healthy Church Member- Anyabwile
Church Life - General: Total Church- Chester
Church Life - General: The Church and the Surprising Offense of God's Love- Jonathan Leeman
Church Life - General: Why We Love the Church- Kevin DeYoung
Church Life - General: Stop Dating the Church- Joshua Harris

Hope that helps!

Bless you.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

or does it come across like giving someone a stick of deodorant; "You really need this..."?

That's amazing. Coffee just came out of my nose.

Anyway. I think it's a wonderful idea. It's not at all offensive to give someone a book on a subject that are involved with so personally and passionately. I think the hard part will be trying to find out what he already has.

For ideas though, perhaps startt here?
The True Church Conference Bookstore List has some good suggestions:

In addition to
Preaching & Preachers- Martyn Lloyd-Jones (as you mentioned)

The also list:
Preaching: Supremacy of God in Preaching- John Piper
Preaching: Between Two Worlds- John Stott
Preaching: Spirit Empowered Preaching- Arturo Azurdia
Preaching: Preach the Word- Ryken
Preaching: Majesty of God in the OT- Kaiser
Preaching: Feed My Sheep- Al Mohler
Preaching: Christ-Centered Preaching- Bryan Chapell
Preaching: Exegetical Fallacies (2nd Ed.)- D.A. Carson
Preaching: Anointed Expository Preaching- Stephen Olford
Preaching: Expository Genius of Calvin- Steven Lason
Preaching: Proclaiming a Cross-Centered Theology- Together for the Gospel
Preaching: He is Not Silent- Albert Mohler

Try also;

Pastoral Ministry-General: Dear Timothy- Tom Ascol
Pastoral Ministry-General: Christian Ministry- Charles Bridges
Pastoral Ministry-General: The Reformed Pastor- Richard Baxter
Pastoral Ministry-General: Lectures to My Students- Charles Spurgeon
Pastoral Ministry-General: The Cross and Christian Ministry- D.A. Carson
Pastoral Ministry-General: Brothers, We Are Not Professionals- John Piper
Pastoral Ministry-General: Sheperding God’s Flock- Jay Adams
Pastoral Ministry-General: For Us and Our Salvation- Nichols
Pastoral Ministry-General: Liberation Ministry- Hughes

Also;

Leadership: Biblical Eldership- Alexander Strauch
Leadership: Elders in Congregational Life- Phil Newton
Leadership: Biblical Eldership- John Piper
Leadership: The New Testament Deacon- Alexander Strauch
Leadership: Polity- Mark Dever
Leadership: Find Us Faithful: Leadership that Leaves a Legacy- Olford

Finally?

Church Life - General: Nine Marks of a Healthy Church- Mark Dever
Church Life - General: Manual of Church Order- J.L. Dagg
Church Life - General: Deliberate Church- Mark Dever
Church Life - General: Life in the Father’s House- Wayne Mack
Church Life - General: Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life- Don Whitney
Church Life - General: What is a Healthy Church?- Mark Dever
Church Life - General: Twelve Challenges Churches Face- Mark Dever
Church Life - General: What is a Healthy Church Member- Anyabwile
Church Life - General: Total Church- Chester
Church Life - General: The Church and the Surprising Offense of God's Love- Jonathan Leeman
Church Life - General: Why We Love the Church- Kevin DeYoung
Church Life - General: Stop Dating the Church- Joshua Harris

Hope that helps!

Bless you.

Book About Preaching as a Gift for a Pastor?

What do you think about giving a book about preaching as a gift to a Pastor? Good idea, or does it come across like giving someone a stick of deodorant; "You really need this..."? And any thoughts on Preaching and Preachers specifically?

My pastor speaks very highly of that book! You actually might try to find out if he has it already- it is a classic!

Several other books I've heard good things about:

The Power of the Pulpit by Gardiner Spring

On the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons by John Broadus

Preaching in the Holy Spirit by Al Martin

I gave a lot of suggestions up there, from a secondary source's recommended book list. So I cannot vouch for many of them, as I have not read all of them, nor do I know all of the authors.

However, my personal recommendation as a gift for your pastor would be "Our reasonable faith" by Herman Bavinck.

The problem is, since he's a preacher, he probably has some of the classics in his study already. You could possibly look at something that's come out fairly recently. A volume like this one, however, might be something to consider.

Alternately, why not consider getting him a volume of sermons instead? Lots of sermons by MLJ are collected in book form (a volume from the Romans series would be particularly good, for instance). Preachers generally like reading sermons of other good preachers.

What you should do is practice by giving gifts to all the pastors on PB first. Then you are sure to succeed in your gift giving!

I think you ask an excellent question. It's tempting for most of us to try to influence our pastors to preach more like this or that, or to base their ministry on this principle or that one. Some pastors do get a lot of subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) pressure from parishoners, in the form of books and otherwise.

For this reason, I probably wouldn't give a book on preaching to my pastor without mentioning it—in a non-pressuring way—to him first, and judging whether or not he truly seemed interested in reading it. That's due to my particular relationship with my particular pastor. A lot depends on your relationship to your pastor, how well you know him and how he'll react to a gift like that. Different guys have different issues, and they react differently to different people.

NO. DON'T DO IT. Even if your pastor is gracious enough to not take it the "wrong way."

Would you give your wife/mom a book on how to be a good mom for Mother's Day?
Would you give your husband/dad a book on how to be a good dad for Father's Day?

If you would... well, you're the kind of person to give a pastor a book on how to preach better.
But for most of us it comes across as being of poor taste.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that as a gift from a parishoner the vast majority of pastors would prefer a nice bottle of wine. Or a gift certificate to a good steakhouse.

Why would you give a pastor a book on how to preach if you weren't suggesting that he needs improvement? And if that's the case, it might do more good to try to link him with a mentor. A book might help with sermon prep, but it won't do much for delivery. And if he didn't learn how to prepare a sermon in seminary, he's probably not going to pick up much from a book.

All pastors need work on preaching. Unless you think perfection is attainable in this life. So to suggest improvement is needed is valid. In fact, perhaps the book will be given so the Pastor will grow in His preaching so I (the giver) and the rest of the congregation can grow in my soul even more. Seems to be a gift that keeps on giving and would be a blessing to the body of Christ.

As a Pastor, I would love a book on preaching if I don't already have it. If you don't want to send it to your Pastor you can send it to me! :)

Edward, I think your view on this is skewed. Books on preaching are not just about learning how to prepare or even learning about what 'preaching' is. If this is your view, I invite you to pick up book on preaching and read it. I recommend: The Imperative of Preaching by Carrick. Books on preaching, in fact, will help with sermon prep, delivery, and even work on a man's mind and heart. All of which, growth will come by the work of the Spirit.

NO. DON'T DO IT. Even if your pastor is gracious enough to not take it the "wrong way."

Would you give your wife/mom a book on how to be a good mom for Mother's Day?
Would you give your husband/dad a book on how to be a good dad for Father's Day?

Really? Perhaps I'm assuming the clod role, but I wouldn't think anything wrong with giving my wife a book on how to be a better wife or mom or Christian. If I'm completely missing the mark there, then I do know that I certainly wouldn't take any offense were I given a book on how to be a better husband or dad. In fact, with the birth of my son in November, I've been reading lots of books on how to be a better dad. A dear friend actually mailed me a copy of Dr. Beeke's book, Parenting by God's Promises when my son was born and it was one of the best baby gifts we received.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

All pastors need work on preaching. Unless you think perfection is attainable in this life. So to suggest improvement is needed is valid. In fact, perhaps the book will be given so the Pastor will grow in His preaching so I (the giver) and the rest of the congregation can grow in my soul even more. Seems to be a gift that keeps on giving and would be a blessing to the body of Christ.

As a Pastor, I would love a book on preaching if I don't already have it. If you don't want to send it to your Pastor you can send it to me! :)

:amen:

A dear friend actually mailed me a copy of Dr. Beeke's book, Parenting by God's Promises when my son was born and it was one of the best baby gifts we received.

Entirely different circumstance from giving a "how to improve" book at a time when the theme is celebrate the person.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Edward, I think your view on this is skewed. Books on preaching are not just about learning how to prepare or even learning about what 'preaching' is. If this is your view, I invite you to pick up book on preaching and read it. I recommend: The Imperative of Preaching by Carrick. Books on preaching, in fact, will help with sermon prep, delivery, and even work on a man's mind and heart. All of which, growth will come by the work of the Spirit.

Wow. Well, to each their own.
Would you be willing to conduct an experiment? Would you please publicly encourage your men to buy "how to be a better wife" books on Mother's Day as opposed to something frivolous like jewelry?

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

All pastors need work on preaching. Unless you think perfection is attainable in this life. So to suggest improvement is needed is valid.

Moral perfection is one thing. Technical, or mechanical perfection is another. I've heard many technically flawless sermons. And books are geared towards a certain proficiency level. There is a level of skill that one can attain at which point a "how-to" book isn't really the best method for learning how to "fine-tune" one's skills.

Would you be willing to conduct an experiment? Would you please publicly encourage your men to buy "how to be a better wife" books on Mother's Day as opposed to something frivolous like jewelry?

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

All pastors need work on preaching. Unless you think perfection is attainable in this life. So to suggest improvement is needed is valid.

Moral perfection is one thing. Technical, or mechanical perfection is another. I've heard many technically flawless sermons. And books are geared towards a certain proficiency level. There is a level of skill that one can attain at which point a "how-to" book isn't really the best method for learning how to "fine-tune" one's skills.

As to the first part, I don't celebrate days other than the Lord's Day so I could not encourage such a thing anyway. As for a gift, I am sure my wife would love to get a book on how to be a better godly wife any day of the year. I'll take one on being a godly husband too. I gather the men and women of my congregation would welcome it as well.

As to the second part, I think you miss my point. My point is that whereas some books on preaching are on 'how to', there are many which are that and more. And are very encouraging/challenging to the soul. I would hope men even like Dr. Lloyd Jones, or current guys who are considered 'famous' preachers would welcome any book on preaching because it would be challenging to them not only in their ministry but in their very soul.

As to the topic of perfection, I brought it up because no man, whether a young preacher or old, is without room for improvement in their calling.

Thanks for the correction and recommendation.

A dear friend actually mailed me a copy of Dr. Beeke's book, Parenting by God's Promises when my son was born and it was one of the best baby gifts we received.

Entirely different circumstance from giving a "how to improve" book at a time when the theme is celebrate the person.

okay, well then I would still consider it a blessing to receive a book on how to be a better husband or dad on my birthday.

Perhaps the difference lies with the individual then because I can already tell you my wife would much more enjoy a book on becoming a better wife than she would jewelry.

I'd hate to waste a post just with one word, so I typed all this. No.

That's what I thought.

Now that you've revealed how... atypical ... your thoughts are on this type of thing, I'd hate to think that others take your opinion on this type of matter to be anything close to mainstream. You ARE entitled to your opinion and your practice, but I hope people realize that if they ACCEPT your opinion, they are most certainly NOT accepting a view that represents a "normal" perspective.

Folks, listen to me: Don't give your pastor a book that instructs in one of his prime areas of functioning if your intent is to make him feel appreciated.

Last edited:
That's what I thought.

Now that you've revealed how... atypical ... your thoughts are on this type of thing, I'd hate to think that others take your opinion on this type of matter to be anything close to mainstream. You ARE entitled to your opinion and your practice, but I hope people realize that if they ACCEPT your opinion, they are most certainly NOT accepting a view that represents a "normal" perspective.

Folks, listen to me: Don't give your pastor a book that instructs in one of his prime areas of functioning if your intent is to make him feel appreciated.

No offense intended, but I hope none of us are living to be 'normal' or basing how we live on the 'accepted opinion of the day' or what is 'mainstream'. Rather, I hope we are living based upon the Lord God Almighty and what He says to believe and how to live from His Word.

That's what I thought.

No offense intended, but I hope none of us are living to be 'normal' or basing how we live on the 'accepted opinion of the day' or what is 'mainstream'. Rather, I hope we are living based upon the Lord God Almighty and what He says to believe and how to live from His Word.

Fascinating response.

For your continued education, since you publicly stated that you desire that very thing... There is a difference between conforming to common sinful practices and having an awareness and grasp of common etiquette and decorum and taste. It displays a lack of awareness when we take our preferences and assume others would like or appreciate or value the same things as us when we haven't first recognized whether or not our preferences and tastes are within the main. And further, I will boldly state that if a preacher doesn't know the "cultural main," then his preaching, teaching, and counseling will suffer because he'll be aiming at a target other than the heart of his people.

:offtopic:

Gentlemen, this thread is about recommendations for a book, not about whether one celebrates birthdays and the like. Start another thread for that discussion.

:judge:

Thanks for the advice folks, seems like the wise thing to do is to avoid giving one as a gift unless the subject has already been broached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back