Baxter and Imputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he did. See the article in The Confessional Presbyterian, volume 3 on Baxter's theology of justification, and John Brown of Wampray's demolition of it.

:up:Yep. :) Specifically, "John Brown of Wamphray, Richard Baxter and the Justification Controversy," by Bruce R. Backensto, The Confessional Presbyterian 3 (2007) 119-146. It's one of the lengthier sections of the journal, except for the second and final part of the sixty year RPW literature survey.

:up:Yep. :) Specifically, "John Brown of Wamphray, Richard Baxter and the Justification Controversy," by Bruce R. Backensto, The Confessional Presbyterian 3 (2007) 119-146. It's one of the lengthier sections of the journal, except for the second and final part of the sixty year RPW literature survey.

Cheers all...what you need to do Chris is get your journal onto SAGE, or JSTOR or something like that so I can access it via Uni ;) I can get WTJ.

Sorry, out of my league. I suspect someday there will have to be an "e" version but I'm not in any hurry.

Was Baxter biblical on anything he wrote? The more I read, the more I see how many errors he propogated. The worst being this works/Law justification

Baxter had a great deal of biblical things to say on two areas in particular: his book _The Reformed Pastor_, is very useful, and so is his book _The Christian Directory_, which has much practical advice on how to avoid sin. But I would never have voted for him to be ordained in my presbytery.

If you are morbidly introspective and prone to depression, don't read Reformed Pastor just yet. I have read it twice and it is a good book, but he doesn't really take to whining, young men.

I kind of like Baxter, though. Ditto to what Rev. Lane said.

On justification, Baxter is sorely disappointing. However, the vast majority of his writings are a most valuable contribution to the church. Particularly, The Saints' Everlasting Rest (influential in the conversions of Thomas Doolittle, John Janeway and others), The Reformed Pastor, A Christian Directory, and A Call to the Unconverted. One can read his practical works online here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back