Baptists and Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
No beer comes near. :cheers2:
:detective: A couple of questions from to our friend across the Pond. 1st Is the Guiness we get in the states the same caliber as the one you are able to purchase?
2nd. I read once the Guiness that is now produced is not the same as the one that was once produced in Ireland, I might be wrong but is Guiness now brewed in England? Inquiring minds want to know? Also I like a half and half with Harps Lager.

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea. But I don't see any reason why the Guiness you get in the USA would be any worse than what we have.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout blows Guiness out of the water.

No beer comes near. :cheers2:
:detective: A couple of questions from to our friend across the Pond. 1st Is the Guiness we get in the states the same caliber as the one you are able to purchase?
2nd. I read once the Guiness that is now produced is not the same as the one that was once produced in Ireland, I might be wrong but is Guiness now brewed in England? Inquiring minds want to know? Also I like a half and half with Harps Lager.

My uncle was in the Air Force in England/Ireland in the late 60's/early 70's. He said the Guinness there on tap came out in globs that would flop into your glass, not like the watered-down version we have in the states. I usually use Bass Ale for the half/half. I'll have to try it with the Harps. Thanks for the tip!
I was told using an ale makes it a dark and tan, or do I have this backwards?:think:

I don't know offhand where the verses are, but there are verses that talk about wine (and other alcoholic beverages?) being a gift from God to be enjoyed. Since its a gift from God, does this verse apply to the use of the gift?
Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;​

I enjoy a pint of good beer or a glass of wine as well. Unfortunately, in our society, having a drink and drunkeness often go hand-in-hand, and drunkeness is a sin. Abstaining entirely because excess is sin is a little like throwing out the baby with the bathwater, though, in my opinion.

My wife was raised Pentecostal, where booze was a no-no. Half the congregation would enjoy a glass of wine on a Saturday night, and then sit through a topical sermon on Sunday morning about the evils of wine. When we began courting, we started to attend a PCA church. At our very first Sunday service, the pastor was preaching on Jesus' first miracle, turning the water into wine at the wedding banquet. As means of illustration, the pastor mentioned that he made wine as a hobby and brought in one of the glass jars that he uses. It didn't take long until my fiance was poking me in the shoulder and wispering "he makes his own wine!!"

I don't know offhand where the verses are, but there are verses that talk about wine (and other alcoholic beverages?) being a gift from God to be enjoyed. Since its a gift from God, does this verse apply to the use of the gift?
Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;​

Ps. 104:14-15: “You cause the grass to grow for the livestock and plants for man to cultivate, that he may bring forth food from the earth and wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine and bread to strengthen man’s heart.”

Judges 9:13: “But the vine said to them, ‘Shall I leave my wine that cheers God and men and go hold sway over the trees?’”

Ecclesiastes 10:19: “Men prepare a meal for enjoyment, and wine makes life merry, and money is the answer to everything.”

Zechariah 10:7: “Then Ephraim shall become like a mighty warrior, and their hearts shall be glad as with wine. Their children shall see it and be glad; their hearts shall rejoice in the LORD.”

There are dozens of positive Biblical references relating to wine (I have an excel chart on another computer that details them). I think it's very important to view drinking as "unto the Lord," so as to have a proper motivation and as a hedge from abuse.

:cheers:

My uncle was in the Air Force in England/Ireland in the late 60's/early 70's. He said the Guinness there on tap came out in globs that would flop into your glass, not like the watered-down version we have in the states. I usually use Bass Ale for the half/half. I'll have to try it with the Harps. Thanks for the tip!
I was told using an ale makes it a dark and tan, or do I have this backwards?:think:

You're right. A Black and Tan is what I've heard it called. I assumed half/half was the same, but, after thinking about it being called such, it makes sense you were speaking of something different. I look forward to trying it!

...by the way, what time is it? :D

There are dozens of positive Biblical references relating to wine (I have an excel chart on another computer that details them). I think it's very important to view drinking as "unto the Lord," so as to have a proper motivation and as a hedge from abuse.
Thanks for finding some of the verses.

Ps. 104:14-15: “You cause the grass to grow for the livestock and plants for man to cultivate, that he may bring forth food from the earth and wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine and bread to strengthen man’s heart.”
Since the Bible says God causes the grass to grow...and wine to gladden the heart of man, does that mean therefore that anything alcoholic is ok to drink?

Judges 9:13: “But the vine said to them, ‘Shall I leave my wine that cheers God and men and go hold sway over the trees?’”
How does wine cheer God?

You're right. A Black and Tan is what I've heard it called. I assumed half/half was the same, but, after thinking about it being called such, it makes sense you were speaking of something different. I look forward to trying it!

...by the way, what time is it? :D
1348, and yes Black and Tan not Dark and Tan:oops:

Since the Bible says God causes the grass to grow...and wine to gladden the heart of man, does that mean therefore that anything alcoholic is ok to drink?

How does wine cheer God?

You'll have to ask someone more knowledgeable than myself to get an answer here. :lol: I know that strong drink is also mentioned in multiple positive/neutral contexts, which would, I assume, broaden the definition of which alcoholic drinks are acceptable.

I'm not so sure that the Bible makes much of a distinction between "alcoholic" and "non-alcoholic" drinks like we do, anyway. Does the presence of alcohol in a grape drink make it okay ("wine"), while the presence of alcohol in a corn drink or mixed drink make it unacceptable? God's prohibitions are for over-indulgence in alcoholic drinks, food, etc.

Just my :2cents:

Not merely since, but due to the fact that alcohol, in and of itself, is not an evil. Thus, it could be classified as something that is indifferent. Now, that doesn't mean it's okay for everybody without exception, because some are prone to mastery thereby.

That's what I meant to say. :lol:

Some people think that drinking alcohol is sin because they believe that the purpose of drinking alcohol is to get drunk. I have talked with those kinds of people before and when I said that a person's reason for drinking alcohol can be something other than just to get drunk, they can't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back