Baptism of the 3000 at Pentecost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
This thread was prompted by something that was posited in another baptism thread, where I am naturally not allowed to respond, but to which I still wanted to respond…naturally…

Historically, skepticism that the 3000 converts at Pentecost (Acts 2:38, 41) could have been baptized by immersion in a single day has certainly been one of the most prominent features in arguments that immersion wasn’t always (or typically, or ever) used in apostolic times. In fact, this is the inaugural claim among any of such a nature that I have found. The earliest occurrence of it (again, that I have found) comes from c.1250 AD, as advanced by the medieval English theologian William of Melitona (d.1257), an eminent professor at the Catholic universities in both Paris and Cambridge.[1] The supposition was then taken up by some of his most prominent students at the Parisian Sorbonne, such as Thomas Aquinas and Bonaventure (in their doctoral theses on Lombard’s Sentences, both written in 1256 [2]). Notably, the instance of the 3000 persons was also the lone example of non-immersion in the New Testament originally proposed by any of these men, and immersion was still seen by them all as the normative and preferred mode for baptism. Such is also the first claim made by a Protestant with regard to apostolic non-immersion that I have found (1546). (Nicholas Thompson, ed., Martin Bucer: Opera Latina, (Leiden/Boston: Brill, 2014), 6:101) Ultimately, the idea that the 3000 couldn’t have been immersed was codified in the Roman Catholic Church by the Council of Trent [3], as well as perpetuated in various Protestant churches [4]. Clearly, the objection has quite a historical provenance.

The reasons for the conceived impossibility latent in these historical arguments seem to be some of the same difficulties as suggested in the other thread (I’m not picking on you Ed, honest..!).

I have always taken vs. 41 that the baptisms were completed that day. My wife and I attended a pool baptism where seven people were baptized. The seven took about two hours. That's 17± minutes per person which included prayer, testimony, follow by the words and actions of the baptism. Granted, that time could be reduced, but reduced by how much? Maybe there were groups, even whole families dunked simultaneously. But, wouldn't anything faster, or more people at once would present a pretty weird and frenzied service we could hardly recognize. So how about 3 minutes average per person.​
Here's the 3rd-grade math. NOTE: Days and Weeks, are based on a 40-hour/5-day week: 3,000 (people) X 3 (minutes) = 9,000 (minutes) = 150 (hours) = 18.75 (8-hour days) = 3.75 (5-day weeks). At 3 minutes apiece, this baptism would make this among the weirdest baptism ever.​

I agree that the narrative in Acts implies that the baptisms were performed immediately, and as such on that very same day (although I have seen a fair number of even non-immersionist commentators conclude that the text does not demand such an understanding). Yet some anachronistic ideas that evidently play a considerable role in the overall argument might be pointed out.

First is the manner of religious immersion that would most likely have been used. There is a general consensus among scholars that in apostolic times – and this is demonstrably the case in descriptions of baptism in the early patristic church - immersion would have simply been performed by an administrator placing their right hand on the recipient’s head, while they lowered themselves into the water [5]. Thus, the method often used by modern immersionists, in which the minister cradles the upper part of the candidate’s body, horizontally lowers them into the water, and then lifts them out again [6] - and the extended time factor this involves - is probably not a valid factor with respect to considering the Pentecostal baptisms. Obviously, the early method also required relatively little physical exertion on the part of the administrator. A few patristic descriptions indicate that in some cases the administrator would even stand outside, but immediately adjacent to the font, while reaching his hand over the edge to perform the baptism.

Second, it is not necessary, or probable, to suppose that the same testimonial or ceremonial aspects that may accompany some modern Baptist baptisms were part of the apostolic rite. Moreover, regardless of whether immersion, pouring, or sprinkling are used, any basic ceremonial component of proper baptism would seem to require about the same amount of time, making the overall time necessary a relative non-factor when evaluating the three modal prospects (reasonably assuming that in all cases recipients would have received individual attention).

A third and related fourth supposed difficulty sometimes expounded, is that there would have been a lack of sufficient water or facilities in desert-bound ancient Jerusalem. These too are inaccurate and anachronistic perceptions, decidedly refuted by actual archeological records. First-century Jerusalem had a most impressive water supply and infrastructure [7], as well as numerous facilities that were used for religious immersions, both public and private [8].

In light of all these things, I would propose a different calculus for determining the time necessary to baptize the 3000 people by immersion at Pentecost. My suggestion is based on the 12 Apostles being the lone administrators, even though some commentators (even among the Reformed [9]) suggest or allow that some or all of the 120 men in Acts 1:15 may have also been involved in such an undertaking. I will also use what I believe is an overly ample allowance of 30 seconds for each individual baptism.
What if there were 3 rotations of 4 men each, which would then take a total of about 6 hours and 15 minutes (3000 ÷ 4 x 30 seconds). This in turn breaks down to each of the 12 perhaps baptizing for 3 shifts, each about 42 minutes in length, and with nearly 1-½ hour rests (or time for further evangelization) in between.​
Such an enterprise certainly wouldn’t be unfeasible, let alone impossible (especially considering that four of the disciples had been professional fishermen...). This is of course only one of many possible scenarios, and if more people were involved in the process the workload could easily have been spread out even more.

There are in fact other historical instances where mass baptisms by immersion have been performed in a single day. On the Easter Vigil in 404 AD, Chrysostom, assisted by a handful of his presbyters, baptized 3000 catechumens, despite the service being twice interrupted by marauders sent in by Chrysostom's vile enemies [10]. In 1878, a team of four Australian missionaries serving in India, and working in shifts of two, baptized over 2,200 converts Baptist style, in about 9 hours [11].

In the end, it seems fair to conclude that objections to the idea that the 3000 converts at Pentecost could have been baptized by immersion, ...well, don't hold water... While I can understand and excuse some earlier dissenters, the same leniency is harder to extend to more contemporary folks who have ready access to much more historical information.

[1] Caelestinus Piana, ed., Guillelmi de Militona, Quaestiones de Sacramentis, (Quaracchi, Florentiae: ex Typograpia Collegii S.Bonaventurae, 1961), 1:333

[2] Stanislas E. Fretté, Pauli Maré, eds., Doctoris Angelici Divi Thomae Aquinatis...Opera Omnia, (Parisiis: Ludovicum Vivés, Bibliopolam Editorem, 1873), 10:78; A. C. Peltier, ed., Cardinalis S. Bonaventura, Opera Omnia, (Parisiis: L. Vives, 1866), 5:317

[3] Catechismus, ex decreto Concilii Tridentini, ad parochos, (Romae: in aedibus Populi Romani, apud Paulum Manutium, 1566), 186; In this instance it was further asserted that Peter had performed all of the baptisms himself.

[4] Perhaps the most authoritative example of this is the Westminster Confession of Faith, where Acts 2:41 is one of five scripture proofs cited in support of non-immersion (WCF 28.3).

[5] See: Everett Ferguson, Baptism in the Early Church, (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2009), passim; Edward Yarnald, The Awe-Inspiring Rites of Initiation: Baptismal Homilies of the 4th Century, (Slough: St. Paul Press, 1972), 180ff; H. F. Stander, J. P. Louw, Baptism in the Early Church, (Leeds: Reformation Today Trust, 2004), 37ff; Alphonse Mingana, Commentary of Theodore of Mopsuestia on the Lord’s Prayer, Baptism and the Eucharist, (Cambridge: W. Heffer & Sons, 1933), 180ff; Alistair Stewart-Sykes, Hippolytus; On the Apostolic Tradition, (New York: St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, 2001), 111f; Ruggero Iorio, Battesimo e Battisteri, (Florence: Nardini, 1993), 108ff; Robin M. Jensen, Understanding Early Christian Art, (New York: Routledge, 2000), 77ff; et al.

[6] The earliest reference to this particular method of immersion I have found is in a description of baptism from Duns Scotus – so early 14th century; see his Parisian lectures on Lombard’s Sentences, 4:3.4; Reportata super quartum Sententiarum fratris Johannis Duns Scoti, [Parrhisiis: Ioanne Granion, 1518], no pagination – in loc. cit.)

[7] See: Sir Charles W. Wilson, Ordnance Survey of Jerusalem, (Jerusalem: Ariel Publishing House, 1865), 1:78ff; Alfred Edersheim, The Temple, Its Ministries and Services, (London: James Clark & Co., 1889), 2.55f; Emil Schürer, A History of the Jewish People in the Time of Jesus Christ, (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1891), 2:2.69; Abraham Holz, The Holy City: Jews on Jerusalem, [New York: W. W. Norton, 1970], 49; W. S. Lasor, “Jerusalem” - Geoffrey W. Bromiley, ed., The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Revised, (Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1979-88), 1002f; Bill Grasham, Archaeology and Christian Baptism; Restoration Quarterly, (Abilene: 2001), 43.2; Jonathan D. Lawrence, Washing in Water: Trajectories of Ritual Bathing in the Hebrew Bible and Second Temple Literature, (Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2006), 155ff

[8] Se
e many of the same sources listed above. Josephus wrote of such provisions around the Temple Mount: “The inward parts had the largeness and form of a palace, it being parted into all kinds of rooms and convieniences such as courts, and places for bathing, and broad spaces for camps...” (The Wars of the Jews, 5.5.8)

(Fig. 1) A public mikveh from the 1st century AD—one of several dozen that have been excavated on the southern Temple Mount.
Fig. 2) A large private mikveh excavated in a 1st century Jerusalem residence.
1702156095782.jpeg 1702156315150.jpeg

(Fig. 3) A sketch depicting what a large house excavated in what was an affluent area of 1st century Jerusalem may have looked like. It contained two separate mikveh, probably to segregate men and women, along with a separate facility for hygienic bathing. The larger mikveh featured a side-by-side entrance and exit, to efficiently accommodate purificatory immersions on a large scale (walk-in, half-circle-around, walk-out). Another large house nearby has also been excavated, and was found to contain seven immersion pools.

1702156285999.jpeg

(Fig. 4) The Pool of Shilocah (Siloam) was just recently discovered (2019) during excavations in the southern City of David. Broad steps surrounded the pool, which was fed by the water of the Gihon Spring (which still produces around 1,000,000 gallons of water daily), that flowed into Hezekiah’s Tunnel from the time of the First Temple. Due to its location along the ancient Jewish “Pilgrimage Road,” the emerging consensus is that it was used for some of the ritual immersions required for the tens of thousands of pilgrims who streamed into Jerusalem each year on the three pilgrimage festivals, Passover, Pentecost, and Booths, in order to be able to participate in Temple worship. Based on what the excavations have revealed, the depiction below shows what it may have looked like in the 1st century. There is also direct biblical indication that this pool was sometimes used in a ritual capacity (John 9:6-7).

1702157478251.png

(Fig. 5) The Bethesda Pool, where Jesus healed the paralytic man in the Gospel of John, is a complex site. It too appears to have served as a mikveh, or ritual bath (cf. John 5:2-4 NKJV). As the spot of one of Jesus’ miracles, the Bethesda Pool was built over in subsequent periods with chapels and churches that are still visible today.

1702157891296.png

[9] For example, the Westminster divine John Lightfoot; John Lightfoote, Commentary upon the Acts of the Apostles, chronicall and criticall..., (London: R.C. for Andrew Crooke, 1645), 25; also: Francis Turretin, Institutes of Elenctic Theology, 19.14.11

[10] As recorded by the eyewitness and Chrysostom's friend and disciple, Palladius of Galatia. (Da Vita S. Joannis Chrysostomi, 9; PG 47:33f)

[11] Baptism: Our Lord's Command, (Melbourne: Austral Publishing Co., 1913), 161

Last edited:
And if all 12 apostles are baptizing it goes even quicker. I laughed at the “not enough water in Jerusalem” argument. How did these same objectors think Jerusalem supported tens of thousands of people and their animals during Passover??

This thread was prompted by something that was posited in another baptism thread, where I am naturally not allowed to respond, but to which I still wanted to respond…naturally…

Wow! What a post!

Thank you so much for your time and effort and for presenting this much information (overnight, it seems). I mean it. I'm going to give you an 'informative.'

As far as picking on me, that's pretty funny. I'm smiling ear to ear.
We couldn't get away with being at odds for long (if we were ever really at each other) because we have the same Father, and He doesn't like disorder in his house.

God bless you, my fellow sinner and saint.

Thanks, Phil! There's quite a bit in that thread which is ripe for a Baptist response, but this is a good start.

I guess I have mixed feelings about the restricted baptism forums. I do understand their utility - you should have seen the confusion and even mayhem in some early, pre-restricted PB baptism threads. I'm sure the moderators appreciate the built-in help they provide in that respect. But by definition they are mostly echo chambers, and sometimes they effectively serve as a "safe" venue to make uninformed misrepresentations (or occasionally even take a cheap shot) with regard to the other position. But if someone takes issue with something in particular, then they are free to respond by starting a thread of their own. So it's all good.

Last edited:
And if all 12 apostles are baptizing it goes even quicker.

There are myriad possible scenarios. If (still using my previous formula) 12 men baptized non-stop it could all have been done in about 2 hours. If only 20 seconds for each officiated-self-immersion is allowed (still realistic, and using a similar time allotment as was in the case of the 2200 full-blown Baptist baptisms done in India), then it could be done in about 1:20. If other men participated, as commentators like Lightfoot and Turretin allow (they both specifically suggest some of the 70 or 72 sent to minister in Luke 10:1), as I too think likely, then the time factor becomes a virtual non-factor. 24 men could oversee 3000 such baptisms in about 45 minutes, 36 men in less than 30 minutes! Again, I understand the initial reaction many people have as to the time that would be necessary to perform 3000 baptisms by immersion in a single day. Superficially it does sound almost impossible, especially if anachronistic ideas about performing a baptism are imposed on the situation. But when the numbers are actually crunched, the objection quickly evaporates...

Having said all that (and this is obviously speculative on my part), I don't envision the 3000 people at Pentecost as having come to belief at the very same moment, and then orderly lining up to be baptized (rendering hard timelines largely irrelevant). Rather, I can imagine some coming to faith during Peter's initial morning sermon, and others at different times throughout the course of that most dramatic and thrilling day, as the Holy Spirit enlightened the elects' hearts and the marvelous truth of the gospel dawned on their minds. Many would have inquired further of one or a few of the believers there, and then embraced baptism into the resurrected Son of God and the true Israel, perhaps using one of the many public facilities at hand, or talking excitedly as they moved off to a nearby house of one of their new brothers or sisters who happened to be of some means (cf. Luke 8:2-3), or of such a disposition as to have had personal facilities to share (cf. Acts 6:7). The new covenant church is being born! ...Anyway, I wonder if in heaven we'll somehow get to witness a replay of some of the momentous events in church history, like this one...

Last edited:
I was politely challenged (offline) on a couple of points that I made in the OP, but I thought I would post my responses here as well.

First, was my comment about immersion being required for Temple worship (fn. 8, fig. 4). To clarify, this is not a clear requirement from the OT, but was by all indication the prescribed practice in the 1st Century. This is evident from a variety of historical sources. Dr. Michael Kruger, Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity, at RTS Charlotte, marshaled and surveyed many of them in his doctoral thesis on one of the non-canonical Oxyrhynchus Gospels (see pp. 106-130, esp. 115ff. – there is an English translation about 2/3 of the way down on this webpage). It is well-known that 2TJ was rife with an expansion of OT religious requirements, especially as pertained to ritual purifications. (cf. Mark 7:3, 4, where “the elders” undoubtedly refers to the dominant theological schools in 1st Century Judaism of Hillel and Shammai - see, A. Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, 2:13).

Second, I was told my statement that the idea there wasn’t enough water/facilities in ancient Jerusalem was a prominent basis for claims concerning the non-immersion of the 3000 at Pentecost was surely an exaggeration – rather, the idea centers on the perceived physical effort and time that would have been necessary. So, here are a few statements regarding water/facilities that I have come across over the years, starting with one of the very earliest invocations of the idea (c.1250), where such was the stated basis.*

[Bonaventure]​
The Apostles baptized three thousand people in one day, which was certainly not by immersion, because they did not have enough water [quia non haberent aquam]—hence they sprinkled, and sprinkling does not involve the whole person.​
(Commentum in Quartum Librum Sententiarum, Lib. iv, dist. iii, pt. ii, art. ii, q. ii)​
[Greville Ewing, a Scottish Congregationalist whose ideas appear to have influenced James Dale’s views on baptism]​
What would they [the Apostles] have said, had they beheld the scene closing with the immersion of three thousand people in water? How laborious the operation in its performance! How terrible the discomfiture, which must have ensued, upon retiring, among the recent unprepared and agitated disciples! Here again, the scarcity of water makes the idea of immersion incredible. All the pools in Jerusalem united would have been quite inadequate. ...This spring [the Bethesda Pool] might furnish a bath for one at a time, and the first who could enter it, at the right season, obtained a divine cure. That Bethesda never was a large pool is probable, from the fact that it has long since been lost.​
(An Essay on Baptism, 162)​
[R. Jamieson, A.R. Fausset, David Brown, renowned Anglican commentators]​
It is difficult to say how three thousand could be baptized in one day, according to the old practice of a complete submersion [i.e. in the patristic church]; and the more as in Jerusalem there was no water at hand except Kidron and a few pools.​
(A Commentary, Critical and Explanatory, on the Old and New Testaments, NT 1:474)​
[Henry Alford, Anglican theologian]​
Almost without doubt, this first baptism must have been administered...by effusion or sprinkling, not by immersion. The immersion of 3000 persons, in a city so sparingly furnished with water as Jerusalem, is equally inconceivable with a procession beyond the walls to the Kidron, or to Siloam, for that purpose.​
(The Greek Testament, 2:29.)​
[Charles Hodge, Presbyterian, citing a Dr. Edward Robinson – whom he deemed “the highest authority” on such matters]​
In Acts 2:41, three thousand persons are said to have been baptized at Jerusalem apparently in one day at the season of Pentecost in June; and in Acts 4:4, the same rite is necessarily implied in respect to five thousand more. Against the idea of full immersion in these cases there lies a difficulty, apparently insuperable, in the scarcity of water. There is in summer no running stream in the vicinity of Jerusalem, except the mere rill of Siloam a few rods in length; and the city is and was supplied with water from its cisterns and public reservoirs. From neither of these sources could a supply have been well obtained for the immersion of eight thousand persons. The same scarcity of water forbade the use of private baths as a general custom; and thus also further precludes the idea of bathing in such passages as Luke 11:38; Mark 7:2-8. …It is, therefore, to the last degree improbable that the thousands mentioned in the early chapters of Acts were baptized by immersion.​
(Systematic Theology, 3.20.7)​
[William Shedd, Presbyterian]​
It is morally certain, that such baptisms as those of Pentecost (Acts 2:4–1), of the eunuch (Acts 8:36), of Cornelius and his family (Acts 10:47), and of the jailer (Acts 16:33), were not administered by immersion. …The immersion of three thousand in Jerusalem on one day, at Pentecost (Acts 2:41) would have required the use of the public reservoirs of the city, which the Jewish authorities would have been as little likely to have allowed as the common council of New York city would in a similar case.​
(Dogmatic Theology, 2:584.)​
*The one earlier statement of the idea that I am aware of, that of William of Melitona, did not specify the reasoning behind it (see fn.1 of the OP), nor did Aquinas' contemporaneous statement on the matter (see fn.2 of the OP).** Circumstantial support for my supposition that WoM may have originated the claim is seen in the fact that it is not found either in Lombard's Sentences (c.1150) or some of the earliest commentaries on it - like that of the scholar and older colleague of WoM that started the practice of requiring Sentarian theses at the Sorbonne, Alexander of Hales (c.1225). Thus, WoM's supposition is historically bracketed on one end by earlier kindred expositions on the topic that did not invoke the idea, and by several on the other end that did, most notably those from some of his immediate students. It might also be noted that WoM and Bonaventure were both seemingly motivated to advance the suggestion, at least in part, in order to justify the admitted fact that sprinkling was then becoming normative in certain areas, and especially in France.

**Having said this, one might infer that the reasoning behind Aquinas' view on the non-immersion of the 3,000 did have to do with the physical effort, as he later conceptually distinguished that event and the circumstance of only having "a small supply of water." (Summa Theologica, 3.66.7)

Last edited:
Something else I find of historical interest: despite the Council of Trent’s declaration that the 3000 at Pentecost weren’t baptized by immersion, some notable RC theologians have quite pointedly dissented.

[Council of Trent]​
In baptism water is used to signify the spiritual cleansing which it accomplishes, and on this account baptism is called by the Apostle, a ‘washing’ [Titus 3:5; Eph. 5:26]. This cleansing takes place as effectually by immersion [mergitur], which was for a considerable time the practice in the early ages of the Church, as by pouring [effusione], which is now the general practice, or by sprinkling [aspersione], which was the manner in which Peter baptized, when he converted and administered baptism to about three thousand souls.​
(Catechismus, ex decreto Concilii Tridentini, ad parochos, [Romae: in aedibus Populi Romani, apud Paulum Manutium, 1566], 186)​
[Joseph Vicecomes; c.1570–1633; an Italian theologian and church historian]​
I nonetheless reject the reading of Acts 2, where St. Peter baptized three thousand people in one day, which supposes the water was applied by sprinkling. To this I answer, it is not any easier to perform the ceremonial cleansing by sprinkling water than by immersing in water, as both require the same [verbal] formulary, and entail a threefold washing. Nor should it be forgotten that Peter was baptizing on a long summer day, which would allow ample time for immersing three thousand. It must further be considered that in the apostolic age they did not perform the many ancillary ceremonies that now prolong baptism.​
(Iosephi Vicecomitis Ambrosiani Collegii Doctoris Observationes Ecclesiasticae…, [Parisiis: Michaëlem Sonnium, 1618], 599f.)​
[Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet; 1627–1704; a prominent French bishop and theologian, educated at the Sorbonne]​
The baptism of St. John the Baptist, which served as a preparation for that of Jesus Christ, was performed by plunging [en plongeant]. ...Neither does it appear in the Acts of the Apostles that the three thousand, and then five thousand men who were converted by the early sermons of St. Peter, were baptized in any other manner, and the large number of these converts is not proof they were baptized by sprinkling, as some have conjectured. Apart from the fact that nothing obliges us to say that they were baptized on the same day, it is certain that St. John the Baptist, who baptized no fewer in number as all of Judea came out to him, only baptized by immersion, and his example shows that it is not too difficult to baptize a large number of men in that manner, as he deliberately chose places where there was a lot of water. In addition, the many bathings and purifications among the ancients, especially those of the Jews, made this practice easy and familiar at that time.​
(Oeuvres Complètes de Bossuet, Évêque de Meaux, [Paris: Chez Lefèvre, 1836], 7:83)​

And let's not even talk about how long the 3,000 professions of faith were before these baptisms...

My good ol' Baptist friends say that baptism is simply "a personal and individual choice made after a profession of faith (with full immersion)." Although, there is no command for a detailed profession of faith to be made before baptism in the Bible.

This isn't necessarily a credo/paedo argument right? It could be just immersion/non-immersion
It's interesting to me how credo-baptists and paedo-baptists tend to nicely align along mode of baptism lines, but there are plenty of exceptions.

And let's not even talk about how long the 3,000 professions of faith were before these baptisms...

My good ol' Baptist friends say that baptism is simply "a personal and individual choice made after a profession of faith (with full immersion)." Although, there is no command for a detailed profession of faith to be made before baptism in the Bible.

I did talk about this in the OP, several paragraphs in (starting with "Second..."

Seeing how I identified it as possibly the earliest claim of non-immersion having been used in the New Testament, I suppose I should go ahead and give the actual citation from William of Melitona. It occurs in his massive multi-volume treatise on the Sacraments (there being seven in the RC view), which is probably the largest exposition ever written on that specific topic. Every aspect of each point is explored in excruciating detail. One tragic situation that was noted when it came to the mode of baptism - one that no doubt was all too commonly encountered during that era, and clearly relative to a perceived necessity of baptism for salvation in all cases - was quite graphically described.

Baptism is typically done in either of two ways: by immersion or by sprinkling [per immersionem vel per aspersionem], using either a dipping basin or a cup. So, it is not necessary that the child always be immersed.​
In such regard it can be argued that the apostles baptized several thousand people in one day, as we find in Acts 2:41, where that many could not have been immersed in the water.​
We must further conclude that if a priest is weak, or his hands are debilitated and he is therefore unable to immerse the child, or because there is a shortage of water, or when it is the existing custom of a country, sprinkling or pouring the water is sufficient [aspergantur aqua vel perfundantur, sufficit].​
Another situation where the child cannot be immersed is when they are only partially born [semi-nati], as when only the head has been delivered, and on account of [the mother's] extreme weakness it is not possible for the child to be fully birthed, making the hour of death imminent. In such cases necessity dictates that baptism be carried out by sprinkling or pouring the water [aspersione vel perfusione aquae].​
Similarly, when there is not enough water to totally immerse the child, or when the child is weak or at risk of dying, making it impossible to administer a complete immersion, or in other circumstances where something makes it necessary, it is sufficient for the principle parts of the body to be immersed, such as the head and chest, or as some say, the head and face.​
We speak here of cases of urgent necessity [urgente necessitate]. For in the sacraments of necessity, the divine mercy is amply given in accordance with the need, and in accommodation of the circumstance.​
(Caelestinus Piana, ed., Guillelmi de Militona, Quaestiones de Sacramentis, [Quaracchi, Florentiae: ex Typograpia Collegii S. Bonaventurae, 1961], 1:333)​
To fill-out some additional history: In 1255, Pope Alexander IV issued a bull entitled De Fontibus Paradisi, in which the Parisian faculty was ordered to complete a huge theological textbook entitled, Summa Universae Theologiae (Roger Bacon complained it had "the weight of a horse"). Composition of this all-comprehensive work, at least as supposed and intended, had begun earlier at the university, and the Pope wanted it published without further delay. Once finished, for all intents and purposes, it became the official medieval Roman Catholic systematic theology.

Long presumed by subsequent generations to have been authored by Alexander of Hales, it is now known that while he initiated and supervised the initial stages of the Summa, it is in fact largely a compilation of the writings of others (e.g. the writings of Augustine are profusely inserted throughout the first three of four volumes). Still, the work was often dubbed the Summa Fratris Alexandri, and on that account Alexander was proclaimed “the Irrefutable Doctor.”

At the ordering of the Pope, William of Melitona then oversaw the completion of the Summa (in 1256), and his Quaestiones were demonstrably used for much of the new work’s section on the sacraments. The segment on baptismal mode, as shown above, was in fact transferred verbatim. (i.e., Summa Universae Theologiae, sive Quaestiones super quattuor libros Sententiarum, [Norimbergae: Antonius Koberger, 1492], no pagination - pars. 4; ques. xiii, art. iii, con. que iii, mem. iv, item i.)

Last edited:
I was asked to provide the full quotations from Aquinas and Bonaventure that I referenced above, as well as the one from Duns Scotus concerning the lower-into the-water-then-lift-out method of immersion. One can't help but notice the equal appeal to Scripture and church tradition by both Aquinas and Bonaventure.

[Aquinas] ...Proposition 1. It appears immersion is necessary in baptism [videtur quod immersio sit de necessitate baptismi]. In this way baptism figures burial with Christ, as it says in Romans 6. This, however, does not take place in baptism except insofar as we are immersed and hidden in the water [immergimur et occultamur in aqua], just as Christ was under the earth. Therefore, immersion is necessary for baptism.​
...[Contra, in general] The custom in certain churches is not to baptize by immersion, but rather it is done by sprinkling. Furthermore, it is read that in a baptism performed by St. Lawrence [1] a vessel of water was brought by Romanus, the person to be baptized by him, from which it is evident he could not have been immersed. Therefore, immersion is not necessary for baptism.​
Proposition 1, I answer thusly, that baptism [also] portrays a washing. Washing with water can be achieved not only by immersion, but also by sprinkling or pouring [Ablutio autem per aquam potest fieri non tantum per modum immersionis, sed per modum aspersionis vel effusionis], and so these too can be used in baptism. It also appears that the Apostles baptized this way when we read that in one day five thousand were converted, and three thousand on another occasion (Acts 2 and 4).​
And so the custom of the church in cases of necessity, such as when there is a lack of water, or in the case of a child whose death is feared, as also when the weakness of the priest prevents them from properly supporting the child, is to perform baptism without immersion.​
(Stanislas E. Fretté, Pauli Maré, eds., Doctoris Angelici Divi Thomae Aquinatis...Opera Omnia, [Parisiis: Ludovicum Vivés, Bibliopolam Editorem, 1873], 10:78.)​
[Bonaventure] [Proposition 1] It seems necessary for the child’s whole body to be immersed when baptizing, so as to aptly signify suffering and death; that is to say, as Christ so completely suffered even unto death, it is necessary to immerse the whole person... [etc.]​
... [Contra—] The Apostles baptized three thousand people in one day, which was certainly not by immersion, because they did not have enough water—hence they sprinkled, and sprinkling does not involve the whole person. It is also recorded in the Passion of St. Lawrence that a Roman brought him a vessel of water, by which it is clear there was no immersion.​
...It is presumed that the apostles at times baptized by sprinkling [praesumitur, quod apostoli baptizaverint aspergendo], and this is also now the practice in some churches, especially those in France. This can be done for various reasons while maintaining the integrity of the sacrament, such as when the baptizer is feeble or their hands are weak or clumsy; or when the child is sickly or weak and it is feared they could be harmed; or if immersion is impossible, such as when a child is not yet completely born; or on account of a lack of a necessary element, as for example, if there is only a limited amount of water.​
Still, the most common practice of the church is to immerse, as also the writings of the Masters and Saints evince. And here [in Paris] the particular procedure is this: the priest takes hold of the child by the sides and immerses them face down in the water; once with the head pointed toward the east, a second time facing north, and a third time southward. Such is the formal requirement.​
(A. C. Peltier, ed., Cardinalis S. Bonaventura, Opera Omnia, [Paris: L. Vives, 1866], 5:317f.)​
[Duns Scotus**] It is requisite [necessitate] that ministers perform three immersions, unless there is reasonable cause not to. Three times is most appropriate, respecting the fact that in baptism we are buried with Christ, and the three days he lay in the grave. Now, a minister may be excused from performing three immersions if he is physically feeble and a really big country fellow comes to be baptized, whom he could not submerge, or then lift out again [unus magnus rusticus, quem nec possest immergere, nec elevare].​
So, in some cases pouring is allowable, such as when only a little water is available, in which case perhaps a foot does not get washed, or during the cold season, or when the child is so weak that even a single immersion would risk death. In such cases washing just a principle part of the body will suffice, or perhaps warm water can be used, or whatever accommodations are seen as reasonable and expedient. But again, absent such circumstances the person should be baptized with three immersions.​
(Reportata super quartum Sententiarum fratris Johannis Duns Scoti [4:3.4], [Parrhisiis: Ioanne Granion, 1517], in loc cit. [no pagination])​

[1] The earliest historical account of pouring actually being used for baptism is sometimes said to be found in the Acts of St. Lawrence. This early medieval hagiography, of uncertain date and authorship, relates supposed events in the life of a much-venerated Roman deacon who was martyred in 258 AD. The Acts included a story in which one of St. Lawrence’s executioners, a soldier called Romanus (perhaps a nationalistic moniker rather than a proper name), is said to have converted, whereupon the saint had a pitcher of water brought to him and the baptism was performed by pouring water over Romanus’ head.

There is some ambiguity concerning this account, however, reflected in the various second-hand paraphrasings that retell it. A popular version comes from the German monk Walafrid Strabo (c.808–849), who did not cite his source:

“One of the soldiers, named Romanus, fetching a pitcher of water, took the opportunity to give it to St. Lawrence, and was baptized.”; (Latin: Unus ex militibus, Romanus nomine, urceum afferens cum aqua, opportuneitatem captavit, qua earn offerret B. Laurentio, ut baptizaretur; [De Rebus Ecclesiasticis, 26; PL 114: 959])

Late medieval liturgies of the Roman Rite often incorporated a chronological martyrology created by the Irish monk Marianus Scotus (1028–82), who used the phraseology, “Romanus...offerens aquam, misist se ad pedes beati Laurentii ut baptizaretur—Romanus offered [or, brought] water, threw himself at the feet of St. Lawrence, wanting to be baptized.”; (Chronicon, 3:263; PL 147:683; cf. Ado of Vienne, Vetes Romanum Martyrologium, PL 123:32.)

The version cited by many later authors (e.g. Walker, Bingham, Rogers) is from Laurentius Surius’ (1523–78; German Catholic) hagiographical Life of the Saints (Sanctorum Vitis, [Coloniae: Ioannis Kreps, 1618], 8:97). Surius uses the terminology, “...Romanus urceum afferens cum aqua...Et acceptam aquam benedixit et baptizavet eum—Romanus brought a pitcher [urceum] of water...He [Lawrence] took the water, blessed it, and baptized him.”

An earlier medieval recounting of the story is found in a chronicle spuriously attributed to the English church historian Bede the Venerable (8th century), which uses the following wording: “Romanus...afferens labrum cum aqua…et postquam baptizatus fuit—[Romanus...presented a basin (labrum—often used to refer to a Roman bathtub, but also to large pitchers with a broad rim) with water, whereupon he was baptized.” (De Sancto Laurentio; PL 94:493)] While afferens typically means to carry or deliver, it can also be used in the sense of announcing or presenting and the event is said to have occurred within a large palace compound.

Still, in accordance with the Didache’s allowance, the extraordinary circumstances surrounding such a baptism would seem conducive to using the abbreviated means of pouring. On the other hand, the anachronistic and somewhat varied accounts make details of this story uncertain from a historical standpoint. Notably, the French-Reformed historian Jacques Basnage (1653–1723) was highly skeptical of the reliability of the Acts of St. Lawrence, going so far as to deem it “entirely spurious, or else extremely corrupted”. (...Acta quidem spuria sunt, vel ita depravata...) (Jacobo Basnage, Thesaurus Monumentorum Ecclesiasticorum et Historicorum, [Amsterdami: Apud Rudophum, 1725], 1:44.)

*The informality of these remarks are due to their being from a Reportata, which are notes taken by a student during a live university lecture.

Last edited:
What about whether or not there were 12 pairs of waders for the Apostles to use?

This seems highly unlikely...

We were? Then why am I holding this Backgammon board?

Mutters to self: "No one ever wants to play backgammon with me."
My kids are convinced the backgammon board under our chess board is Chinese checkers.

I just tell them it's for a weird game that I don't know how to play.
:um:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back