Baptism of a precocious five year old from the Reformed Baptist View of New Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than a confession, and a desire to be Baptized, what constitutes a "credible profession?" What was the Apostles' practice?

Ummm "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be baptized"?

Are you sure it wasn't "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, be examined for 7 years, and then be baptized?" That's what happened at Pentecost, right?

Come on, guys. Jesus suffered the little children to come to him, and said that our faith should be like theirs. Small children may not be ready for the meat, but I have no idea where some people are getting that a five-year-old can't understand simple propositions. The bible never talks about an "intellectual difficulty" of the message. It is merely sin that causes us not to want what God has.

What does a paedo do with an adult convert who wants to be baptized? Do they question the convert first to see if he understands the faith or is the only requirement that they claim to be a Christian?

Also, how long would it take to immerse 3,000 people? Where did they baptize them?

I think the more interesting questions are these:

Where did they find a set of waders on such short notice so the baptizers could get in the pool without getting their trousers wet?

or

How were they able to fill and heat the baptistry on such short notice?

Are you sure it wasn't "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, be examined for 7 years, and then be baptized?" That's what happened at Pentecost, right?

Come on, guys. Jesus suffered the little children to come to him, and said that our faith should be like theirs. Small children may not be ready for the meat, but I have no idea where some people are getting that a five-year-old can't understand simple propositions. The bible never talks about an "intellectual difficulty" of the message. It is merely sin that causes us not to want what God has.

What does a paedo do with an adult convert who wants to be baptized? Do they question the convert first to see if he understands the faith or is the only requirement that they claim to be a Christian?

I assume that they do, although I've never seen an examination for adult baptism so I'm not sure. But I have been interviewed for church membership and have seen visitors interviewed before being allowed to receive the Lord's Supper. None of these examinations took an amount of time which would be unreasonable if inferred back into accounts in Acts.

However, your question, which points the finger back at me, so to speak, ignores the fact that what has been discussed thus far in this thread is not simply a conversation in which questions are asked to see whether the professor understands the faith. Most, if not all, of those Baptists who have posted have made mention of a period of time spanning anywhere from five years to twelve or more. And not only this, but they desire to see certain conduct, not merely understanding.

I assume that they do, although I've never seen this so I'm not sure. However, your question ignores the fact that what has been discussed thus far in this thread is not simply a conversation in which questions are asked to see whether the professor understands the faith. Most, if not all, of those Baptists who have posted have made mention of a period of time spanning anywhere from five years to twelve or more. And not only this, but they desire to see certain conduct, not merely understanding.

I'm not ignoring anything. Look at my previous posts in this thread dated today. Tell me where I put requirements, other than what the confession states, on anyone who confesses Christ. I'm simply asking what is the paedo practice for adult converts?

I assume that they do, although I've never seen this so I'm not sure. However, your question ignores the fact that what has been discussed thus far in this thread is not simply a conversation in which questions are asked to see whether the professor understands the faith. Most, if not all, of those Baptists who have posted have made mention of a period of time spanning anywhere from five years to twelve or more. And not only this, but they desire to see certain conduct, not merely understanding.

I'm not ignoring anything. Look at my previous posts in this thread dated today. Tell me where I put requirements, other than what the confession states, on anyone who confesses Christ. I'm simply asking what is the paedo practice for adult converts?

Sorry about that. So you didn't give any requirements; I direct that point mainly to the others then. You did, however, say that it is not "normative" for God to call a five year old. I don't see how you could possibly know that.

They are examined just as anyone else desiring church membership would be.

Other than a confession, and a desire to be Baptized, what constitutes a "credible profession?" What was the Apostles' practice?

Joshua,
Having re-read the thread I will try to help with your question's.

1] What constitutes a "credible profession"?

Someone who has professed Christ as His Lord and Saviour should have a knowledge of his sinful condition before a Holy God, and has become aware of The work of the Spirit in convicting him of sin and his need of the righteousness that comes from God alone.
The person will speak of what the Lord is doing in their life. They might speak of a desire to fellowship with the people of God . To learn more about Jesus. Mal.3:
16Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
They will attend to the means of grace, individual and corporate prayer ,and bible study.
They will demonstate an ability to comprehend divine truth.
They will seek a way, to serve their Lord.
They will confess to be those alive from the dead, not just in order to be baptized but this confession will be ongoing, and growing.
Their will be evidence of a pursuit of holiness, accompanied by a holy joy,and a desire to comform to all lawful commands , as covenant keeping persons. Not in order to be saved, but because they are saved.
They will seek to edify others, as well as obey the one anothering passages
They will manifest love of the brethren- love is a fulfilling of the law.

A credible profession is not an infallible profession. If however the person has the Spirit indwelling them the fruit of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit will be somewhat manifest.
Some of the baptist brothers who were responding on this thread where trying to indicate some of these things . This is just a partial list of what the NT. indicates are "things that accompany salvation"

9But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

10For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

11And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

12That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
Joshua, it is hard enough to observe these characteristics in adults ,over time. I think KMK was trying to indicate that the pastors are to oversee the flock and look for the evidences of someone being a sheep.
It might become more apparent if you make a list of what the Nt. indicates are the fruit of the Spirit, that it is very hard to see in a 5yr old, or a 7yr old some of the evidences of these things. You are dealing with so many inconsistent factors. ie, maturity level, vocabulary, later on , hormonal changes, puberty , increased sex drive, peer pressure, exposure to worldly temptations.
That is why you see so many "inconsistent responses to the OP."
There are way to many variables. What is the goal? Is it to comform to an outward standard, being told to remember your baptism? or is it to see Christlikeness formed in the new heart by the sanctifying work of the Spirit. To Know God.

2] What was the Apostles practice?

We can see what they did. I see their practice as being reformed baptist except they still had direct and special revelation before we had a completed word.
I tried to explain that earlier in this thread. Sometimes they saw tongues , or some manifestation of the Spirit indwelling someone who said they believed.
They then baptized them. We do not know if the Spirit told them as apostles any special things as in Acts 8, with Philip and the eunuch.
We do not have Apostles walking around on earth now, nor tongues ,or visions or prophecy, so it seems as if we are bound to those indicators that are written in scripture.
It takes time to examine any of these areas. I do not know of any church who immeadiately accepts into membership, or baptises anyone on the spot.
Just like it takes time to see if someone is qualified for the office of elder, or deacon. Is this what you are looking for?:think:

They are examined just as anyone else desiring church membership would be.

I can't answer for other Baptists but that's exactly what we do at our church with either an adult or child convert. They are examined, questioned if you will in order to determine, to our satisfaction as elders, that they understand the faith of which they are confessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back