Bach's St. Matthew's Passion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
Is the greatest piece of music ever written hands down. This includes comparison to Handel's Messiah, Mozart's Requiem and Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, all the symphonies, string quartets, serenades and operas.

YouTube - J. S. Bach - St. Matthew Passion, Final Chorus, BWV244

I bought the EMI Classics set with Wolfgang Gonnenwein conducting the Suddeutscher Madrigalchor Consortium Musicum.
Amazon.com: Bach: St Matthew Passion: Music: Franz Crass,Hermann Prey,Johann Sebastian Bach,Wolfgang Gonnenwein,Consortium Musicum,Teresa Zylis-Gara,Nicolai Gedda,Theo Altmeyer

I highly recommend those who don't have this work to get it, and read along when the text is being sung.

Yes, St Matts passion is AWESOME! I've got the John Eliot Gardiner version, and it is the best I've heard. Unbelievable. (Makes a difference when you know Bach was a believer).

Is the greatest piece of music ever written hands down. This includes comparison to Handel's Messiah, Mozart's Requiem and Beethoven's Missa Solemnis, all the symphonies, string quartets, serenades and operas.

YouTube - J. S. Bach - St. Matthew Passion, Final Chorus, BWV244

I bought the EMI Classics set with Wolfgang Gonnenwein conducting the Suddeutscher Madrigalchor Consortium Musicum.
Amazon.com: Bach: St Matthew Passion: Music: Franz Crass,Hermann Prey,Johann Sebastian Bach,Wolfgang Gonnenwein,Consortium Musicum,Teresa Zylis-Gara,Nicolai Gedda,Theo Altmeyer

I highly recommend those who don't have this work to get it, and read along when the text is being sung.

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

Although I believe Beethoven would disagree. He held Handel above all others. If I can dig out my 'Thayer's' I will try to find the quote.

Although I believe Beethoven would disagree. He held Handel above all others. If I can dig out my 'Thayer's' I will try to find the quote.

Thayer's Life of Beethoven, Vol. 2, p. 920:

"Whom do you consider the greatest composer that ever lived?"

"Handel," was his instantaneous reply; "to him I bow the knee," and he bent one knee to the floor.

"Mozart," I wrote.

"Mozart," he continued, "is good and admirable."

"Yes," wrote I, "who was able to glorify even Handel with his additional accompaniments to The Messiah."

"It would have lived without them," was his answer.

I continued writing. "Seb. Bach."

"Why is he dead?"

"I answered immediately "He will return to life again."

"Yes, if he is studied, and for that there is now no time."

Thayer's Life of Beethoven, Vol. 2, p. 920:

"Whom do you consider the greatest composer that ever lived?"

"Handel," was his instantaneous reply; "to him I bow the knee," and he bent one knee to the floor.

"Mozart," I wrote.

"Mozart," he continued, "is good and admirable."

"Yes," wrote I, "who was able to glorify even Handel with his additional accompaniments to The Messiah."

"It would have lived without them," was his answer.

I continued writing. "Seb. Bach."

"Why is he dead?"

"I answered immediately "He will return to life again."

"Yes, if he is studied, and for that there is now no time."

Is Thayer's online, Andrew?

Hey, Keon! Is it better than Haydn's oratorio The Creation? It's the composition with what has been called the most famous C-Major chord in music: "let there be LIGHT"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back