Bachelor Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsmcd

Puritan Board Freshman
I will soon be graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies. I chose the program because 1. it gave me the most credit for military experience (66 credits) 2. it allowed me to take pretty much any class I wanted and 3. I had/have a desire to attend seminary and pursue ministry and this degree allowed me to finish my bachelors before exiting the military thus allowing me the use of the GI Bill for seminary vs. undergrad.

With all that said, what kind of job can I get with a general bachelors degree? Most of my classes were in social science/liberal arts (history, theology, western culture, etc.) I am due to transition from the military in 18 months and want to attend seminary at some point but don't know that 18 months from now is the time to do that. I haven't had the ability to stay in one congregation long enough to have elders and other folks in the church make a good decision on my call to pastoral ministry. Likewise, we are in the middle of a transition from being baptistic to being reformed/Presbyterian. What kind of work can I find with a general bachelors degree that will help me care for my family?

* I might add that my job in the military is not transferable to an outside job

You could try temp agencies - they will give you some skills tests and then try to match you with places where you'll do well.

I will soon be graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies. I chose the program because 1. it gave me the most credit for military experience (66 credits) 2. it allowed me to take pretty much any class I wanted and 3. I had/have a desire to attend seminary and pursue ministry and this degree allowed me to finish my bachelors before exiting the military thus allowing me the use of the GI Bill for seminary vs. undergrad.

With all that said, what kind of job can I get with a general bachelors degree? Most of my classes were in social science/liberal arts (history, theology, western culture, etc.) I am due to transition from the military in 18 months and want to attend seminary at some point but don't know that 18 months from now is the time to do that. I haven't had the ability to stay in one congregation long enough to have elders and other folks in the church make a good decision on my call to pastoral ministry. Likewise, we are in the middle of a transition from being baptistic to being reformed/Presbyterian. What kind of work can I find with a general bachelors degree that will help me care for my family?

* I might add that my job in the military is not transferable to an outside job

Your degree doesn't point you towards any particular course of employment, but most jobs don't require a specific degree in the field. It's hard to suggest something in particular to you since your horizons are so open. It's going to be more about your own experience and proclivities when you are looking for a career field. Your job in the military may not be transferrable, but it could still have some similarities with certain civilian jobs that you may want to think about. Think about friends and family members' jobs or those you run into in the course of your ordinary life, is there anything that piques your interest? If you can identify what you're looking for or have aptitude for in general terms it's easier to suggest more specific occupations. If you really have no idea, a temp agency or aptitude test as Ruben suggested may be a good idea.

Law enforcement! Many agencies don't require a degree but look favorably upon it. Larger (read higher paying) agencies do require an undergrad degree in any field. Plus with prior military experience, you could start out making $60K plus at a good agency. I obviously don't have to explain to you that it's not for everyone but again, military guys often transition well.

Your degree doesn't point you towards any particular course of employment, but most jobs don't require a specific degree in the field. It's hard to suggest something in particular to you since your horizons are so open. It's going to be more about your own experience and proclivities when you are looking for a career field. Your job in the military may not be transferrable, but it could still have some similarities with certain civilian jobs that you may want to think about. Think about friends and family members' jobs or those you run into in the course of your ordinary life, is there anything that piques your interest? If you can identify what you're looking for or have aptitude for in general terms it's easier to suggest more specific occupations. If you really have no idea, a temp agency or aptitude test as Ruben suggested may be a good idea.

I love the idea of teaching and would love to teach at a good Christian private school but have no idea how to get to that point and I am guessing there are not many jobs available in that field. And....public school is not really an option. :p

Law enforcement! Many agencies don't require a degree but look favorably upon it. Larger (read higher paying) agencies do require an undergrad degree in any field. Plus with prior military experience, you could start out making $60K plus at a good agency. I obviously don't have to explain to you that it's not for everyone but again, military guys often transition well.

I love the idea of law enforcement but....the reason why I am getting out the military is 1. because of the way our nation is heading making it highly difficult to be in those type of positions and 2. not wanting to be in such dangerous line of work with a family.

I love the idea of law enforcement but....the reason why I am getting out the military is 1. because of the way our nation is heading making it highly difficult to be in those type of positions and 2. not wanting to be in such dangerous line of work with a family.

#1 would be an issue for another thread ... but I understand both your reasons! Prayers you find a great job!

Look for other government, including local government jobs, many give veterans preferences and really just want some experience and a bachelors in anything. Also generally have good benefits if you have a family.
Getting a private school teaching job might be possible, but he pay is normally not enough to support a family on.

I love the idea of teaching and would love to teach at a good Christian private school but have no idea how to get to that point and I am guessing there are not many jobs available in that field. And....public school is not really an option. :p

Private school salaries generally need to be supplemented with additional income (whether in the summer or by a household member) to support a family and those that don't often are looking for a master's degree. It may be worth doing some research on local schools and contacting them to discuss the field even if they aren't hiring, however. There are also areas of law enforcement that don't require you to be put in harm's way with any regularity, but that still does not alleviate your other concern (which may apply for most public sector jobs).

I work at a company that has a bachelor's degree as a requirement for practically any full time salaried position, but doesn't necessarily hire based on what the degree is but what your skills and aptitudes are. For example, we have people that work in I.T. in technical roles with everything from English to Theology degrees (though degrees like C.S. and M.I.S. are the norm). However, that would require additional skills learned outside of university. Nevertheless, you might be able to get work in areas that don't require as specific of skills at many companies such as in administration which would not have been otherwise possible without having first got the degree, but it will take a longer search.

You've been given good counsel above.

Factor these 2 points in, as well:

1. To teach, even in a private school, you generally must have an academic discipline in which to give instruction...unless you are teaching P.E., and even then, they typically want some academic experience with health sciences, athletics, and some sort of pedagogical study.

2. When I taught English, Bible, Reading, and served as Campus Minister at a Christian school in Pensacola, the guy flipping burgers at the McDonald's down the street made more money and had better benefits. I had a B.A. in English and a Masters in Theology, which got me the highest salary they offered, plus a small stipend for conducting chapel services and ministering to the school community. Your mileage may vary...but I'd be surprised.

I worked managing cell phone stores through most of college and seminary. The hours were challenging, but the money was good, and when business was slow and my work was completed (i.e., when there was nothing to do), I was able to get some reading done. May be worth looking into that line of work as a "student" job. After ~6.5 years in it, I don't think I'd enjoy it as a career, even in a long-term bivocational situation.

All the best to you as you seek to please the Lord in this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back