American Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by alwaysreforming
Originally posted by Puritanhead1981
OK what a waste of time.... I mean most TV is anyhow but this show is just wrong I don't see how any Christian can watch that ... I mean look at it need I say more?

It used to be better when it first came out because the judging, in my opinion, gave these kids valuable feedback they needed to improve themselves. At times the criticism was unusually harsh, but often it was exactly the truth that no one else had the courage to say. Now, however, the criticisms are growing more and more uncharitable and severe, and the reason obviously is "ratings". Just like Finney and his "new measures", the ante has to be continually "upped" in order for the show to keep its edge. Now, instead of just "critiquing", the viewing public is crying out for pummeling and humiliation. It makes for great "entertainment".

I hope they get back to some objective, helpful, insightful, critical, FEEDBACK on the peoples' performances; that way we all learn something. Its turning into a verbal WWF.

I think this was my point or at least part of it. I´m not saying that we should never watch tv or see a movie. I just think we must be careful what we watch. Is it not true that what we put into our minds will influence us. (If not we can just watch that X rated movie and as long as we don´t lust"¦) But lets look at us one way we are called to be the salt and light"¦ and are set apart. Now granted to even gt that far I´m sure some of those people will likely have been lied to by someone maybe a number of people a number of times, So maybe it´s best because they will get honest feedback"¦. Ok some maybe their friends and should lean that if you really care for some one you are honest with them"¦ I guess we should ask ourselves is there not something better we could be watching on tv if we watch tv at all than watching others be humiliated for our entertainment"¦"¦ What would you do and how would you react if one of those people came into your church on Sunday?

Puritanhead1981 wrote:
OK what a waste of time.... I mean most TV is anyhow but this show is just wrong I don't see how any Christian can watch that ... I mean look at it need I say more?

then:
I think this was my point or at least part of it. I´m not saying that we should never watch tv or see a movie. I just think we must be careful what we watch. Is it not true that what we put into our minds will influence us. (If not we can just watch that X rated movie and as long as we don´t lust"¦)
I'm just trying to follow you here. I've seen the show and agree that its a waste of time. What are the negative influences that concern you most that make you wonder how a Christian could watch it? What are the things we should be careful about when we watch a show like American Idol?

I will say more when I have time and my nervous system concurs"¦ but

1. To be entertained by the humiliation of others"¦. I don´t think much more should need to be said about that but I could be wrong.

2. And this I guess has more to do with ensuring good stewardship of our time"¦. Could this time be better used in study, prayer, feeing the hungry, or raising children . Without doubt any of these would be better than getting kicks out of the humiliation of others.

There is more That could be said about this and I shall if need be"¦ but now my time is short

But let me ask you if this was your child, brother, sister"¦ would you still watch would you still be entertained"¦. So maybe they find out they can´t sing an someone was finally honest with them but this can and should be done with out humiliation but done out of love or compassion I mean is out ok to watch someone else do something wrong for our own entertainment long as we ourselves don´t do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back