A good article on childhood exposure to explicit content

Ploutos

Puritan Board Sophomore
What Happens When Children Are Exposed to p0rnography?
https://ifstudies.org/blog/what-happens-when-children-are-exposed-to-p0rnography (change the "0" to "o" - the link kept getting removed by the site filters).

This is a short read but I found it helpful. It briefly explains some of the consequences of childhood exposure to sexual content, along with some practical guidelines.

As an adult convert, no stranger to sexual sin, and now by God's grace a father of young children, I consider this an important issue and recommend the article to other parents on here. I'd be interested to hear how others handle these issues with their children.

Last edited:
What Happens When Children Are Exposed to p0rnography?

This is a short read but I found it helpful. It briefly explains some of the consequences of childhood exposure to sexual content, along with some practical guidelines.

As an adult convert, no stranger to sexual sin, and now by God's grace a father of young children, I consider this an important issue and recommend the article to other parents on here. I'd be interested to hear how others handle these issues with their children.

EDIT: It seems the link is being filtered because it contains a flagged word. Moderators, please advise.
Just embed the link into a word.

I tried to embed the link as well and it didn't work.

Anyway, all that to say all the suggestions in the article are good in so far as they go, but I think it's best to assume our kids are going to be exposed no matter what we do. I can't even go to Target without LGBTQ photos shoved in my face. I think the best thing to do is to start the dialogue young and keep it going. "God made man and woman." "Only mommies and daddies should have babies." "These are your body parts and they are private." Things that are concrete and obvious. From there work up to more conversations like "If someone ever tries to show you their *insert body part* or if you ever see *insert body part* somewhere tell Mommy or Daddy right away."

Anyway, all that to say all the suggestions in the article are good in so far as they go, but I think it's best to assume our kids are going to be exposed no matter what we do. I can't even go to Target without LGBTQ photos shoved in my face. I think the best thing to do is to start the dialogue young and keep it going. "God made man and woman." "Only mommies and daddies should have babies." "These are your body parts and they are private." Things that are concrete and obvious. From there work up to more conversations like "If someone ever tries to show you their *insert body part* or if you ever see *insert body part* somewhere tell Mommy or Daddy right away."
I agree with this whole-heartedly.

Another thing to consider that the stuff is practically everywhere these days. In addition to the explicit stuff you can easily stumble upon on the internet between a bad search or social media, many types of popular media can contain perverse and suggestive imagery, dialogue, or themes. It is important to engage with your childrens' interests as much as you can so you can properly shepherd them. While it would be wonderful if our children enjoy what we like, it is also reasonable to assume they will pick up their own interests.

Shepherd our children often entails entering into their world to lead them into maturity.

Last edited:
I tried to embed the link as well and it didn't work.

My wife and I raised 4 kids, 2 of them boys. Those boys are 38 and 33 now and I wish I had good news for you, but I dont. By the time my boys were old enough (in our reckoning) for "the talk", it was too late. You would have an easier time eating broth with a fork than keeping that out of their eyes. I did ask them individually when they were around 12 if they knew what it was and had they seen it, yes they knew, no they hadn't seen it, truth/lie. My oldest admitted many years later that of course they'd seen it because it was everywhere. I asked why he felt the need to lie about seeing it since they knew I wouldn't have loved them any less. He gave 2 reasons, embarrassment and he liked it and didnt want it taken away since it is an " interactive" activity if you know what im saying. By the way he told me he was 8 when he was introduced to it. My 2 daughters have admitted to seeing but didnt participate with it, they were both grossed out in their telling, i believe it. What is the answer? I'd like to say i knew, i dont.

My wife and I raised 4 kids, 2 of them boys. Those boys are 38 and 33 now and I wish I had good news for you, but I dont. By the time my boys were old enough (in our reckoning) for "the talk", it was too late. You would have an easier time eating broth with a fork than keeping that out of their eyes. I did ask them individually when they were around 12 if they knew what it was and had they seen it, yes they knew, no they hadn't seen it, truth/lie. My oldest admitted many years later that of course they'd seen it because it was everywhere. I asked why he felt the need to lie about seeing it since they knew I wouldn't have loved them any less. He gave 2 reasons, embarrassment and he liked it and didnt want it taken away since it is an " interactive" activity if you know what im saying. By the way he told me he was 8 when he was introduced to it. My 2 daughters have admitted to seeing but didnt participate with it, they were both grossed out in their telling, i believe it. What is the answer? I'd like to say i knew, i dont.
I understand. We cannot control everything and we cannot control their responses. My kids are far too young for this to be an issue quite yet, but my older one is approaching 2 and I'm hoping that if we start the conversation now we can mitigate some sorrows, but I know we can't ultimately control everything.

Back