1871 ARP Summary of Doctrines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
I recently found an interesting document that was passed by the 1871 Associate Reformed Presbyterian Synod. It is called a "Summary of Doctrines".

It is very well put together and only runs eight pages. Well worth your time to read it. Two interesting things are the sections on Psalmody and Communion. The ARP at this time were still Exclusive Psalmodists (and would continue to be until 1946) and they were also determined practitioners of what we would call "Close Communion". I definitely recommend at least reading the section at the end on Communion.

Here is a link that will take you to the PDF I made after I copied and reformatted the original.

https://www.box.com/s/xzhee5p0koffuvs6gop4

Here is a couple quotes to whet your appetite:

XV. The Lord Jesus Christ, as the surety of sinners, not only endured the penalty, but also obeyed the precept of the broken law in the place of His people. His sweet righteousness consists not only of His sufferings and death, but also of His obedience. The former founds our release from punishment, the latter our title to life.

XXIX. The law of God is to be viewed both as a covenant of works and as a rule of life as a covenant, Adam broke it, and its curse is upon all his posterity; but Christ fulfilled all its demands, and thereby all believers are delivered from it and from all its claims. “Ye are not under the law, but under grace." But as a rule of duty, it is of universal and perpetual obligation, a standard of perfection to which we must be conformed if we would be like God and prepared for His presence.

And no women deacons, or defining them as persons* and leaving local option to violate the doctrine of the office, either.

Thanks for sharing! And, wetting our appetite, too!
A lot has happen in the last 142 years but God remains faithful.
I find it encouraging that the ARP worked w/Crown & Covenant to make a new Psalter (with Bible songs)!
And, I find it encouraging that there is a remnant of EP ARP congregations (in light of the 1946 decision).

And no women deacons, or defining them as persons* and leaving local option to violate the doctrine of the office, either.

Deaconnesses were added in 1968, and unlike the PCA for example, the ARP is moving in the other, more conservative, direction on the issue.

Deaconnesses were added in 1968, and unlike the PCA for example, the ARP is moving in the other, more conservative, direction on the issue.

From the draft of the proposed new Form of Government:

The Session of each congregation shall determine whether women serve as deacons in
their own particular congregation. Unless otherwise determined by the session, the
diaconate shall consist of male members of that congregation. In either case, the church
shall not neglect the raising up of qualified men to serve in this position for the sake of
the health of the congregation.

If this is a new, perhaps we can propose amendment:

[T]the session, and the diaconate shall consist of male members of that congregation. The church shall not neglect the raising up of qualified men to serve in this position for the sake of the health of the congregation.

From the draft of the proposed new Form of Government:

The Session of each congregation shall determine whether women serve as deacons in
their own particular congregation. Unless otherwise determined by the session, the
diaconate shall consist of male members of that congregation. In either case, the church
shall not neglect the raising up of qualified men to serve in this position for the sake of
the health of the congregation.

I understand the sentiment, Benjamin,
and rejoice with you at the biblically faithful and presbyterian direction in the denomination.

But it's not quite accurate to imply the PCA is going in the opposite direction. Two General Assembly's ago a very clear amendment was adopted and is now approved re-stating doctrine and polity- there are no women deacons in the denomination.

So we might charitably, say,
rejoice at the biblically faithful and presbyterian direction of two denominations.:)

Out of curiosity, why out of all that was present in the 1871 document did you bring up something that occurred in 1968?

I suppose many who support women ordination are not aware this is, by and large, a recent invention, not a historical practice as the Summary of Doctrines illustrates.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back