Proper application of Leviticus 19:17 in daily life

Slave to the Light

Puritan Board Freshman
Keeping details sparse for the sake of some measure of privacy.

I am working a summer job at a nominally Christian place of employment. Yesterday, my first day there, I ended up seeing a large pride flag hanging on a co-worker's office wall. Immediately, Leviticus 19:17 (the KJV version -- Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.) came to mind. However, I did not rebuke him in the moment (which I think is right -- Biblically, we are to rebuke in private initially, and there were others with us; also, the man is far older than me, and for the sake of proper respect of an elder (older, not a holder of Church authority), "rebuke" is probably not the most appropriate approach, and it would have been unwise to respond impulsively without considering the respect rightly directed towards one significantly older than I).

Some may argue that the passage only applies to a brother in Christ, but, considering the passage in several translations, I don't think that it is limited to that. And while I acknowledge that the context is referring more to sins committed by one's neighbor against oneself than to sins more generally, I still think that it would be very unloving to leave a neighbor in ignorance in their sin. But here's my struggle -- it seems incredibly unwise to directly deal with him to his face, seeking him out in his office and firmly calling him to repentance. He already surely knows full well what God has said of his conduct -- and, considering that we are at an institution which can (and is supposed to) technically fire him on the spot for such open support of sinful conduct, there is absolutely no way that he doesn't know PRECISELY what he is doing. Add in that this is a work environment, not a place where such a stir should be caused, and that this is a sin which is almost uniquely clung to by many today, and I cannot see this going well. It seems very rude, and, whatever my intentions, I can't imagine I would be able to make it come across as the loving thing which it is (I am horribly awkward in most conversation). And I certainly don't anticipate any repentance on his part (he would have had to agree with the institution's statement of faith, to some extent, and has certainly already heard whatever I may say). But of course, none of these are expressly Biblical arguments, they are merely practical. And it is my resolve to submit to the Lord in all things.

At present, my intent is to be willing and ready to share the gospel with him whenever an opportunity may open up. After all, it is his evident rejection of Christ which is his greater sin, his sin more needing of rebuke (or being "reasoned with frankly"), not his support of homosexuality which flows from that rejection. (This is my most primary reason for not focusing on a rebuke of him on account of his apparent support of homosexuality, that it would be focused very much upon the less problematic issue). Of course, I will naturally share the law with him if we manage to have such a conversation, in which it will be made evident that if he truly desires to live after Christ then he will repent. And of course, if he ever were to advocate such a thing directly while in front of me, or if it were to come up in a conversation, I would certainly share the Biblical truth. But it feels incredibly unconducive to anything beneficial to seek him out (based only on a flag in his room, having never met him before yesterday, and essentially not knowing him at all), before then seeking to compel him to acknowledge his sin before God, sin which he surely already knows God has condemned. On the other hand, if we are able to have a "polite" (societally speaking) conversation, centered around the good news, that seems 1. far more likely to be effective (recognizing that God is sovereign over all, but also that He uses means); and 2. more focused upon the root of the problem, that he evidently doesn't know Christ, than one of its many rotten fruits. I can't be positive such an opportunity will arise over the summer, but if we ever have an extended conversation it would be almost inevitably directed that way; additionally, I have many solid gospel tracts which clearly present the law and gospel.

As for why I am posting this, I am unsure if this is a wise approach or just my sinful heart working a mighty deceit upon me, leading me to a sinful disobedience. I would appreciate your wisdom.

God bless!

Keeping details sparse for the sake of some measure of privacy.

I am working a summer job at a nominally Christian place of employment. Yesterday, my first day there, I ended up seeing a large pride flag hanging on a co-worker's office wall. Immediately, Leviticus 19:17 (the KJV version -- Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.) came to mind. However, I did not rebuke him in the moment (which I think is right -- Biblically, we are to rebuke in private initially, and there were others with us; also, the man is far older than me, and for the sake of proper respect of an elder (older, not a holder of Church authority), "rebuke" is probably not the most appropriate approach, and it would have been unwise to respond impulsively without considering the respect rightly directed towards one significantly older than I).

Some may argue that the passage only applies to a brother in Christ, but, considering the passage in several translations, I don't think that it is limited to that. And while I acknowledge that the context is referring more to sins committed by one's neighbor against oneself than to sins more generally, I still think that it would be very unloving to leave a neighbor in ignorance in their sin. But here's my struggle -- it seems incredibly unwise to directly deal with him to his face, seeking him out in his office and firmly calling him to repentance. He already surely knows full well what God has said of his conduct -- and, considering that we are at an institution which can (and is supposed to) technically fire him on the spot for such open support of sinful conduct, there is absolutely no way that he doesn't know PRECISELY what he is doing. Add in that this is a work environment, not a place where such a stir should be caused, and that this is a sin which is almost uniquely clung to by many today, and I cannot see this going well. It seems very rude, and, whatever my intentions, I can't imagine I would be able to make it come across as the loving thing which it is (I am horribly awkward in most conversation). And I certainly don't anticipate any repentance on his part (he would have had to agree with the institution's statement of faith, to some extent, and has certainly already heard whatever I may say). But of course, none of these are expressly Biblical arguments, they are merely practical. And it is my resolve to submit to the Lord in all things.

At present, my intent is to be willing and ready to share the gospel with him whenever an opportunity may open up. After all, it is his evident rejection of Christ which is his greater sin, his sin more needing of rebuke (or being "reasoned with frankly"), not his support of homosexuality which flows from that rejection. (This is my most primary reason for not focusing on a rebuke of him on account of his apparent support of homosexuality, that it would be focused very much upon the less problematic issue). Of course, I will naturally share the law with him if we manage to have such a conversation, in which it will be made evident that if he truly desires to live after Christ then he will repent. And of course, if he ever were to advocate such a thing directly while in front of me, or if it were to come up in a conversation, I would certainly share the Biblical truth. But it feels incredibly unconducive to anything beneficial to seek him out (based only on a flag in his room, having never met him before yesterday, and essentially not knowing him at all), before then seeking to compel him to acknowledge his sin before God, sin which he surely already knows God has condemned. On the other hand, if we are able to have a "polite" (societally speaking) conversation, centered around the good news, that seems 1. far more likely to be effective (recognizing that God is sovereign over all, but also that He uses means); and 2. more focused upon the root of the problem, that he evidently doesn't know Christ, than one of its many rotten fruits. I can't be positive such an opportunity will arise over the summer, but if we ever have an extended conversation it would be almost inevitably directed that way; additionally, I have many solid gospel tracts which clearly present the law and gospel.

As for why I am posting this, I am unsure if this is a wise approach or just my sinful heart working a mighty deceit upon me, leading me to a sinful disobedience. I would appreciate your wisdom.

God bless!
I'm confused you said "a nominal Christian place", what does that even mean? Is there a spoken or unspoken code of conduct that forbids support for that sin? Do y'all have to sign a code of conduct upon employment that forbids it? If no to both of those than you'll probably only get yourself fired for rebuking him in anyway. You seem to have a lot of "ifs" in this situation.
I think you're jumping ten steps ahead and wanting to settle down on a clear cut biblical mandate on what to do. But take a step back and ask if your job will tolerate that. I once knew a guy who couldn't hold down any jobs because he was constantly calling out all the (minor to be sure) sins of his coworkers and he got mad that nobody felt sorry for him. It's like "come on dude you can't do that".

Some may argue that the passage only applies to a brother in Christ, but, considering the passage in several translations, I don't think that it is limited to that.

Following is my take on the verse (Leviticus 19:17). This is something I've more or less assumed than fact-checked and determined if I was right or not. But it just seems viscerally to be true. So, I am teachable, to be sure.

Leviticus takes a serious view of holiness, both personal and communal. These chapters surrounding chapter 19 are filled with gospel truth.

In chapter 10 we have the sad death of Nadab and Abihu, Aaron's sons.

‭Leviticus 10:1-3 NASB1995
[1] Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took their respective firepans, and after putting fire in them, placed incense on it and offered strange fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them. [2] And fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord. [3] Then Moses said to Aaron, “It is what the Lord spoke, saying, ‘By those who come near Me I will be treated as holy, And before all the people I will be honored.’ ” So Aaron, therefore, kept silent.

Chapter 11 we have the dietary laws of holiness. It wasn't enough to just not eat the unclean foods, but the children of Israel were instructed to detest them.

‭Leviticus 11:9-11, 45-47 KJV
[9] These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. [10] And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: [11] they shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

[45] For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy. [46] This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth: [47] to make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten.

Chapter 12 is is all about holiness during and after childbirth.

‭Leviticus 12:1-5 NASB1995
[1] Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, [2] “Speak to the sons of Israel, saying: ‘When a woman gives birth and bears a male child, then she shall be unclean for seven days, as in the days of her menstruation she shall be unclean. [3] On the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. [4] Then she shall remain in the blood of her purification for thirty-three days; she shall not touch any consecrated thing, nor enter the sanctuary until the days of her purification are completed. [5] But if she bears a female child, then she shall be unclean for two weeks, as in her menstruation; and she shall remain in the blood of her purification for sixty-six days.

Chapters 13--20 continues to prescribe more laws and duties of personal, communal, and religious holiness. I'll just list a few of the topics.

Chapters 13 and 14 -- is all about leprosy. This should not at all be boring to you. Leprosy in the Bible seems closely related to death as it's a type of death itself. If you would take the few minutes it takes to read this chapter it would give new meaning to the words of Jesus when He said the following:

‭Luke 17:11-19 NASB1995
[11] While He was on the way to Jerusalem, He was passing between Samaria and Galilee. [12] As He entered a village, ten leprous men who stood at a distance met Him; [13] and they raised their voices, saying, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” [14] When He saw them, He said to them, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” And as they were going, they were cleansed. [15] Now one of them, when he saw that he had been healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice, [16] and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks to Him. And he was a Samaritan. [17] Then Jesus answered and said, “Were there not ten cleansed? But the nine—where are they? [18] Was no one found who returned to give glory to God, except this foreigner?” [19] And He said to him, “Stand up and go; your faith has made you well.”

In chapter 16, we have the Day of Atonement. Need I say more about the Covenant nature of this extended passage on personal, family, and religious.

Outline from Matthew Poole's commentary on the whole Bible.
Leviticus 17: Sacrifices to be offered only in the temple, 1–6, and not to devils, 7, on pain of death, 8, 9. Blood not to be eat, on the same pain; the life being in the blood, and it given for an atonement, 10–14; nor any beast that died of itself, or was torn by beasts, 15.

Chapter 18 is about who you can and can't marry and why. More on personal and communal holiness.
~~~~~~~

Chapter 19 begins with more holiness. And you thought Leviticus was a boring book. "What do they teach them at their schools anyway?" Said the professor.

‭Leviticus 19:1-4 NASB1995
[1] Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: [2] “Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy. [3] Every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father, and you shall keep My sabbaths; I am the Lord your God. [4] Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves molten gods; I am the Lord your God.
~~~~~~~

All of which makes me think Leviticus 19:17 goes something like this:

You shall not hate your brother in your heart.
How have I hated my brother in my heart?

When you see him going his own way and just because you don't like him you do not do your duty and warn him and correct him and help him when needed, then it seems that you do not love your brother. Love isn't feeling good about somebody love is something you do. The Apostle said of love,

‭Romans 13:8-10 KJV‬
[8] Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. [9] For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [10] Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Following is my take on the verse (Leviticus 19:17). This is something I've more or less assumed than fact-checked and determined if I was right or not. But it just seems viscerally to be true. So, I am teachable, to be sure.

Leviticus takes a serious view of holiness, both personal and communal. These chapters surrounding chapter 19 are filled with gospel truth.

In chapter 10 we have the sad death of Nadab and Abihu, Aaron's sons.

‭Leviticus 10:1-3 NASB1995
[1] Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took their respective firepans, and after putting fire in them, placed incense on it and offered strange fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them. [2] And fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord. [3] Then Moses said to Aaron, “It is what the Lord spoke, saying, ‘By those who come near Me I will be treated as holy, And before all the people I will be honored.’ ” So Aaron, therefore, kept silent.

Chapter 11 we have the dietary laws of holiness. It wasn't enough to just not eat the unclean foods, but the children of Israel were instructed to detest them.

‭Leviticus 11:9-11, 45-47 KJV
[9] These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. [10] And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: [11] they shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

[45] For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy. [46] This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth: [47] to make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten.

Chapter 12 is is all about holiness during and after childbirth.

‭Leviticus 12:1-5 NASB1995
[1] Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, [2] “Speak to the sons of Israel, saying: ‘When a woman gives birth and bears a male child, then she shall be unclean for seven days, as in the days of her menstruation she shall be unclean. [3] On the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. [4] Then she shall remain in the blood of her purification for thirty-three days; she shall not touch any consecrated thing, nor enter the sanctuary until the days of her purification are completed. [5] But if she bears a female child, then she shall be unclean for two weeks, as in her menstruation; and she shall remain in the blood of her purification for sixty-six days.

Chapters 13--20 continues to prescribe more laws and duties of personal, communal, and religious holiness. I'll just list a few of the topics.

Chapters 13 and 14 -- is all about leprosy. This should not at all be boring to you. Leprosy in the Bible seems closely related to death as it's a type of death itself. If you would take the few minutes it takes to read this chapter it would give new meaning to the words of Jesus when He said the following:

‭Luke 17:11-19 NASB1995
[11] While He was on the way to Jerusalem, He was passing between Samaria and Galilee. [12] As He entered a village, ten leprous men who stood at a distance met Him; [13] and they raised their voices, saying, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” [14] When He saw them, He said to them, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” And as they were going, they were cleansed. [15] Now one of them, when he saw that he had been healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice, [16] and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks to Him. And he was a Samaritan. [17] Then Jesus answered and said, “Were there not ten cleansed? But the nine—where are they? [18] Was no one found who returned to give glory to God, except this foreigner?” [19] And He said to him, “Stand up and go; your faith has made you well.”

In chapter 16, we have the Day of Atonement. Need I say more about the Covenant nature of this extended passage on personal, family, and religious.

Outline from Matthew Poole's commentary on the whole Bible.
Leviticus 17: Sacrifices to be offered only in the temple, 1–6, and not to devils, 7, on pain of death, 8, 9. Blood not to be eat, on the same pain; the life being in the blood, and it given for an atonement, 10–14; nor any beast that died of itself, or was torn by beasts, 15.

Chapter 18 is about who you can and can't marry and why. More on personal and communal holiness.
~~~~~~~

Chapter 19 begins with more holiness. And you thought Leviticus was a boring book. "What do they teach them at their schools anyway?" Said the professor.

‭Leviticus 19:1-4 NASB1995
[1] Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: [2] “Speak to all the congregation of the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy. [3] Every one of you shall reverence his mother and his father, and you shall keep My sabbaths; I am the Lord your God. [4] Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves molten gods; I am the Lord your God.
~~~~~~~

All of which makes me think Leviticus 19:17 goes something like this:

You shall not hate your brother in your heart.
How have I hated my brother in my heart?

When you see him going his own way and just because you don't like him you do not do your duty and warn him and correct him and help him when needed, then it seems that you do not love your brother. Love isn't feeling good about somebody love is something you do. The Apostle said of love,

‭Romans 13:8-10 KJV‬
[8] Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. [9] For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [10] Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Wow, thank you! That seems very clear! As for what is loving, then, it seems that a focus on the gospel and my coworker’s need for Christ would be a far wiser and more effective focus than on a particular, extremely sensitive sin (one rather minor in comparison to the rejection of Christ, in the grand scheme of God’s decree). Of course, if it comes up, it comes up — but not in a way that would almost necessarily create an incredibly rotten workplace environment, and in a way where emphasis is more properly aligned.

God bless!

Back