Professions of Faith (The Sacraments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishcat922

Puritan Board Sophomore
I just finished reading "The Way Of Life" by Charles Hodge, which was a wonderful book and I would highly recommend it. In it Hodge says that a Profession of one's faith is necessary to genuine Christian living, what struck me was the extraordinary way he explains the importance of proper attendence to the Sacraments (Baptim and The Lord's supper) to maintaining a credible profession of one's faith. He states that the word sacrament is actually a Roman military term which was a soldier's public oath of loyalty. In other words the Roman soldier was committed to Country in life and death. I found this interesting in light of how loosely people, especially Minister's today, will throw the term profession of faith around. I think it is very important how we view our commitment to Christ and His Church, and the Sacraments He has entrusted to them.
Do you have a credible Profession Of Faith?

We are recieving the Lord's Supper this coming Lord's Day and I thought this poem would be appropriate.

He was the Word that spake it,
He took the bread and brake it;
And what that Word did make it,
I do believe and take it.

John Donne

The person who is properly attending them, i.e has been examined by the Session of his/her Church, and doesn't neglect them.

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by Irishcat922]

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by Irishcat922]

Originally posted by Irishcat922
The person who is properly attending them, i.e has been examined by the Session of his/her Church, and doesn't neglect them.

Wrong. Try again.

Many people argue that George Washington was a Christian. I take issue with that in part because he was a Mason and in part because he refused to partake of the Lord's Supper at his Anglican church. When a person cuts themself off from the sacrament, I think that cuts against their profession of faith.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Many people argue that George Washington was a Christian. I take issue with that in part because he was a Mason and in part because he refused to partake of the Lord's Supper at his Anglican church. When a person cuts themself off from the sacrament, I think that cuts against their profession of faith.

But haven't you seen the pretty painting where he is kneeling down in the snow praying and a sunbeam shines around him and he looks very reverential? Doesn't that count as evidence?

(I am being facetious; although I do hope he was converted)

Originally posted by Finn McCool
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

But haven't you seen the pretty painting where he is kneeling down in the snow praying and a sunbeam shines around him and he looks very reverential? Doesn't that count as evidence?

(I am being facetious; although I do hope he was converted)

If the painting had a halo I might be persuaded that he was a Christian (tongue in cheek)!

Here is my response Fred after or side conf. (i.e. your reference)

W.L.C.
Q-162. What is a sacrament?

A-162. A sacrament is an holy ordinance instituted by Christ in his church,(1) to signify, seal, and exhibit(2) unto those that are within the covenant of grace,(3) the benefits of his mediation;(4) to strengthen and increase their faith, and all other graces;(5) to oblige them to obedience;(6) to testify and cherish their love and communion one with another;(7) and to distinguish them from those that are without.(8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back