PCA BCO 20-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwolford13

Puritan Board Freshman
I have a question regarding PCA BCO 20-1. Many years ago when I first became a member of the PCA, our session recommended a change to the pastors call in the way of compensation. A congregational meeting was held where we voted to amend the pastor's call. The session then went on to pass a budget reflecting this change of call.

In reading BCO 20-1, there is no reference to the process of amending a pastor's call although there are two constitutional inquiries that address this question. Constitutional Inquiry #3 (1983, Presbytery of the Southwest) indicates that changes in the call of the pastor must be approved by the presbytery for the protection of both the pastor and the calling body. Constitutional Inquiry #5 (1989, Northeast Presbytery) indicates that both the Presbytery and the calling congregation must approve changes in the terms of the pastors call.

Although that seems clear, the SJC in 2004-3 Harris v. Heritage comes to the opposite conclusion: Once the original call is established, changes of that call do not require approval from the congregation. The concluding argument seems to be in contradiction to the answers given in the constitutional inquiries.

I understand that the BCO is sometimes intentionally vague but why the contradiction? Is there a standard way that amending the pastor's call is handled within the PCA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back