Over the Rainbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew, did you know that "Over the Rainbow" was almost cut from The Wizard of Oz because the powers that be thought that the film was running long? Good thing they changed their minds.

Also, Judy Garland (1922-1969) was 17 when she made the film, but the character she was playing was supposed to be only about 10 or 11, I believe. So, the studio ordered that her breasts be strapped down to make her appear younger. Also, the studio head (Louis B. Mayer) was more interested in luring the under-aged Garland into his bed than in promoting her career. She successfully resisted him. She was already seeing therapists at that young age. Garland remembered all this rather bitterly in interviews she gave years later.

Andrew, did you know that "Over the Rainbow" was almost cut from The Wizard of Oz because the powers that be thought that the film was running long? Good thing they changed their minds.

Yes, I'd heard that before. Good thing indeed! :up:

Wikipedia:

A time-honored story tells that this classic song was cut from the film after a preview, because MGM head Louis B. Mayer thought the song "slowed down the picture" and that "our star sings it in a barnyard". Most of the music in the film is medium-to-high energy, in contrast to this gently paced melody. However, the frequent instrumental references to the song throughout the film, including its title sequences, meant that the deleting of the song was short lived. Harold Arlen, who was at the preview, and executive producer Arthur Freed lobbied to get the song reinstated in the film, which it was.

Part of the song was cut from the film. An additional verse was to play when Dorothy was locked in a room in the witch's castle, helplessly awaiting death as the witch's hourglass ran out. A rehearsal recording of the song survives and was included in the Deluxe CD set. In that rendition, Dorothy weeps her way through it, unable to finish, concluding with a tear-filled, "I'm frightened, Auntie Em; I'm frightened!"

That phrase was retained in the film, followed immediately by Auntie Em's appearance in the witch's crystal, and then replaced by the image of the witch, mocking and taunting Dorothy and then turning toward the camera and laughing hideously, directly at the audience.

Also, Judy Garland (1922-1969) was 17 when she made the film, but the character she was playing was supposed to be only about 10 or 11, I believe. So, the studio ordered that her breasts be strapped down to make her appear younger. Also, the studio head (Louis B. Mayer) was more interested in luring the under-aged Garland into his bed than in promoting her career. She successfully resisted him. She was already seeing therapists at that young age. Garland remembered all this rather bitterly in interviews she gave years later.

Very sad.

An encore by IZ, which incorporates a bit What a Wonderful World:

[video=youtube;2A2Jt4WOxN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back