Looking for bibles like my pocket-sized, leather-bound, flap-closed KJV

BrianV

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone!

A few months back, I found a thrift store bible that has quickly become one of my most used. It's a leather-bound KJV 'pocket bible' with a snap closure, published by Zondervan. Here's what I love about it:
  • Leather-bound - I expect this bible is almost 50 years old (published ~1976?), and has stood up incredibly well.
  • Verse-by-verse (my preference, but not a deal breaker)
  • Black-letter (strong preference)
  • The snap closure does so much to protect the text block. It's a must-have feature for a pocket bible to me.
  • It's super portable - the size makes it fit into pants or jacket pockets easily. The smooth leather binding does a great job of protecting the pages, and doesn't 'catch' on any fabric.
  • It's smaller (3.75"W * 5.5"H * 7/8"T) than the pictured ESV compact bible (4.5"W * 6.75"H * 7/8"T). The ESV pocket bible is similarly sized to mine (though I believe significantly thicker), but misses the snap closure.
  • Text is small, but very readable.
  • The binding lays flat at almost any page. Some other small bibles I've used require a hand to hold them open - you can't just put them down on a surface in front of you and expect them to stay open.
This little Bible has become my most-read, simply because it's so easy to keep with me. It's also given me an appreciation for the KJV - a translation I haven't read as much in the past (grew up with NIV84 / ESV). While I'm not sure KJV would ever become my primary translation, I've very much enjoyed reading it.

That brings me to the root of my questions for this thread: I would love to give a bible like this to my teen children as a high quality 'every day carry' bible that will last. However, the closest two options I've seen are the ESV personal size (no flap) or the NKJV 'Chequebook' bible. I've handled the NKJV chequebook, and it is pretty tall to stick in a pocket, plus the magnet didn't handle going in and out of pocket as well - it wouldn't always hold securely as the bible moved in-and-out of a pocket, so doesn't bode as well for longevity as a snap closure.

Is anyone aware of any small, flap-closed, leather bindings on the market currently? My preference for a new bible would be ESV or potentially NKJV, but would consider other options.

The best option might be to rebind an ESV personal size, but I don't love the thickness of that text block - I'd prefer to shrink the font size and margins to reduce the text block thickness to 1" max.

I'm also open to exploring manufacturing / publishing a Bible like this... but that would be a significant endeavour. I enjoy this little bible so much that I have to imagine others would as well, and so this path would bear at least some due diligence to see if it's feasible.

Attachments

• IMG_20240422_082429_844 Large.jpeg
    IMG_20240422_082429_844 Large.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240422_082435_092 Large.jpeg
    IMG_20240422_082435_092 Large.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240422_082447_419 Large.jpeg
    IMG_20240422_082447_419 Large.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240422_082455_781 Large.jpeg
    IMG_20240422_082455_781 Large.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240422_082524_745 Large.jpeg
    IMG_20240422_082524_745 Large.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240422_082541_060 Large.jpeg
    IMG_20240422_082541_060 Large.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240422_082639_664 Large.jpeg
    IMG_20240422_082639_664 Large.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240422_082652_210 Large.jpeg
    IMG_20240422_082652_210 Large.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 20
Not exactly what you are looking for, but if you are not already, you should aquaint yourself with Schuyler.

https://evangelicalbible.com/produc...bury-KJV-black-goatskin-bible-zipper-edition/

Not exactly what you are looking for, but if you are not already, you should aquaint yourself with Schuyler.

https://evangelicalbible.com/produc...bury-KJV-black-goatskin-bible-zipper-edition/
Thank you for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, in my eyes the Schuyler 'Personal Size' format falls into my personal 'too large to actually fit in a pocket' category, no matter how beautifully made. It's actually larger than the ESV compact edition pictured above. Plus, my experience with zipper bibles (admittedly, all lower quality than the example given) have the zipper interfering with a full opening, and 'eating' ribbons (which I value). Hence my preference for a snap flap!

Thank you for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, in my eyes the Schuyler 'Personal Size' format falls into my personal 'too large to actually fit in a pocket' category, no matter how beautifully made. It's actually larger than the ESV compact edition pictured above. Plus, my experience with zipper bibles (admittedly, all lower quality than the example given) have the zipper interfering with a full opening, and 'eating' ribbons (which I value). Hence my preference for a snap flap!
You are right about the size. However, note that the zipper edition comes with a bookmark rather than a ribbon, and has no issues with opening or closing.

Hello everyone!

A few months back, I found a thrift store bible that has quickly become one of my most used. It's a leather-bound KJV 'pocket bible' with a snap closure, published by Zondervan. Here's what I love about it:
  • Leather-bound - I expect this bible is almost 50 years old (published ~1976?), and has stood up incredibly well.
  • Verse-by-verse (my preference, but not a deal breaker)
  • Black-letter (strong preference)
  • The snap closure does so much to protect the text block. It's a must-have feature for a pocket bible to me.
  • It's super portable - the size makes it fit into pants or jacket pockets easily. The smooth leather binding does a great job of protecting the pages, and doesn't 'catch' on any fabric.
  • It's smaller (3.75"W * 5.5"H * 7/8"T) than the pictured ESV compact bible (4.5"W * 6.75"H * 7/8"T). The ESV pocket bible is similarly sized to mine (though I believe significantly thicker), but misses the snap closure.
  • Text is small, but very readable.
  • The binding lays flat at almost any page. Some other small bibles I've used require a hand to hold them open - you can't just put them down on a surface in front of you and expect them to stay open.
This little Bible has become my most-read, simply because it's so easy to keep with me. It's also given me an appreciation for the KJV - a translation I haven't read as much in the past (grew up with NIV84 / ESV). While I'm not sure KJV would ever become my primary translation, I've very much enjoyed reading it.

That brings me to the root of my questions for this thread: I would love to give a bible like this to my teen children as a high quality 'every day carry' bible that will last. However, the closest two options I've seen are the ESV personal size (no flap) or the NKJV 'Chequebook' bible. I've handled the NKJV chequebook, and it is pretty tall to stick in a pocket, plus the magnet didn't handle going in and out of pocket as well - it wouldn't always hold securely as the bible moved in-and-out of a pocket, so doesn't bode as well for longevity as a snap closure.

Is anyone aware of any small, flap-closed, leather bindings on the market currently? My preference for a new bible would be ESV or potentially NKJV, but would consider other options.

The best option might be to rebind an ESV personal size, but I don't love the thickness of that text block - I'd prefer to shrink the font size and margins to reduce the text block thickness to 1" max.

I'm also open to exploring manufacturing / publishing a Bible like this... but that would be a significant endeavour. I enjoy this little bible so much that I have to imagine others would as well, and so this path would bear at least some due diligence to see if it's feasible.
Cambridge has a pocket sized reference Bible with a zipper.

https://evangelicalbible.com/produc...rence-bible-black-french-morocco-with-zipper/

Thanks. Unfortunately, that too is a 'larger' edition than I have in mind.

My Kindle fits in my pocket and I can adjust the font.
My kids love their e-readers, but while I've read some fiction books on an e-reader, I don't enjoy them for serious reading and study. Page context and beings able to flip back and forth are much more 'useful' in paper, bound books.

That is small! I had a small, flap-protected KJV but it was closer to an inch thick. An NIV had similar proportions to yours but was maybe seven inches tall. I wish publishers realized how useful it is to protect the pages of the Bible you use in real life. Leonard's did a beautiful restoration on my full-sized Bible but just couldn't make any consideration of doing a flap and fastener over the pages.

Back