ZOOM FAQ's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Q. Are you limited to 40 mins with the free account?
A. Our minister has a zoom account so as long as he hosts the meeting then it has no time limit for the rest of us

Yes, the only person who needs the account is the person that is hosting. Everyone else can join for free without the free restrictions.

Q. What does your broadband connection need to be for zoom
A. Minimum bandwidth is 600kbps (up/down) and recommended is 1.5 Mbps (up/down). You can check your Internet bandwidth ahead of a meeting using https://www.speedtest.net/

Our experience was that the sound was good but video quality varied depending on the connection.

Yes, the only person who needs the account is the person that is hosting. Everyone else can join for free without the free restrictions.

I think the owner of the account can give hosting privileges to others.

I have a Zoom question - For normal internet streaming - church service, you tube, etc, I connect to the TV via HDMI and get both sound and picture from the TV. When I try it with Zoom, the TV doesn't get the sound. I have to route the sound through the laptop's cheap and tiny speaker. Short of running a patch cord from the laptop's earphone jack to the audio in on the TV (3/8 male to RCA male), any Zoom tweaks to try?

I have a Zoom question - For normal internet streaming - church service, you tube, etc, I connect to the TV via HDMI and get both sound and picture from the TV. When I try it with Zoom, the TV doesn't get the sound. I have to route the sound through the laptop's cheap and tiny speaker. Short of running a patch cord from the laptop's earphone jack to the audio in on the TV (3/8 male to RCA male), any Zoom tweaks to try?

I don't have Zoom, but I have a competitor for work (BlueJeans). It gives a separate option in setting for which device sound goes out of, separate from system settings.

upload_2020-3-27_9-39-38.png

On Sunday we were able to connect to the satellite box with HDMI and get sound.

Q. Can you display the text for psalms (or hymns)

A. Yes! I would prepare a powerpoint in advance with the hymns on it - full screen. Have it ready in the background and switch from the live camera feed to "sharing desktop" - this will then show everyone your Powerpoint presentation. They will however need to make your screen thumbnail their main display (bigger)

This overcomes the problem of no psalter/hymnbook

Q. Can you display the text for psalms (or hymns)

A. Yes! I would prepare a powerpoint in advance with the hymns on it - full screen. Have it ready in the background and switch from the live camera feed to "sharing desktop" - this will then show everyone your Powerpoint presentation. They will however need to make your screen thumbnail their main display (bigger)

This overcomes the problem of no psalter/hymnbook

You will need to be mindful of copyrights, depending on what you are "streaming".

I had this problem with a film and found it was in my audio settings. Somehow I had enabled "speakers" and disabled some other setting.

Q. How can I tinker with zoom setting when it only works with a live meeting?
A. The usual way I join a meeting is to run zoom and copy the invitation address into your browser (cut and paste). If you have zoom running you can go to https://zoom.us/test and launch a trial meeting by clicking on the blue 'join' button. Having seen our congregation invest 1/4 hour in tweaking settings it would be time worth spending.

I’m hearing about security concerns with Zoom

If one follows proper procedure, the only concern should be that the People's Liberation Army is monitoring the teleconference. One of our Sunday School leaders said we should consider our class as a form of outreach to the Chinese.

Which reminds me - back in the Cold War when one was staying in a hotel in a Communist country, one was advised to read the Bible aloud and pray aloud in their room for the benefit of the folks at the other end of the microphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back