Youth ministry and the Puritans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

passingpilgrim

Puritan Board Freshman
HEy everyone,

Has anyone ever experimented with introducing or teaching the puritans to a youth group? I thought it might be an interesting idea to do this but was not sure what book to start with.

I don't know, but when I saw this thread's title, I thought you were suggesting the Puritans might have had youth groups! :lol: No way, back then when you hit 14, you got a job and a wife! :rofl: (Okay, exaggerating a little teensy bit)

I don't know, but when I saw this thread's title, I thought you were suggesting the Puritans might have had youth groups! :lol: No way, back then when you hit 14, you got a job and a wife! :rofl: (Okay, exaggerating a little teensy bit)

haha! me too! that's why i clicked on this thread, but i was sorely disappointed not to find anything about Puritan youth groups!

But to answer the question...Pilgrim's Progress is readable for youth and could be very beneficial, and interesting!

sorry to disappoint. I'm not sure if the Puritans had a youth pastor who was awesome at Dodgeball or not.:p

Thanks for the suggestion on Pilgrim's progress. Maybe what are a few more titles that might be readable, understandable and leave 'em wanting more!

sorry to disappoint. I'm not sure if the Puritans had a youth pastor who was awesome at Dodgeball or not.:p

Thanks for the suggestion on Pilgrim's progress. Maybe what are a few more titles that might be readable, understandable and leave 'em wanting more!
Perhaps The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson?

When I read your question I thought it said that you wanted to teach the puritans about youth groups... uh, they kind aren't around anymore... :lol:

Thomas Vincent, in his work, "The Good Work Begun," has sermons that were specifically addressed to the teenagers in his church.

In the Jonathan Edwards collection of sermons, "To the Rising Generation," you have talks he gave to the youth of his church.

"God's Call to Young People" is comprised of sermons by the New England Puritans to young people.

It's pretty serious stuff, though.

Precious Remedies to Satan's Devices will be invaluable to youths today.

Also, it seems many today are fascinated by J. Edwards. Not surprising, it could be a good start to other less known Puritans.

Last edited:
Shorter Catechism with Scripture Proofs by Thomas Vincent

Logic by Isaac Watts (this is something out teens could definitely use)

I've quoted various Puritans and their ilk in studies and lessons for teenagers. That generation seems to appreciate the sense that their faith has a link to the past (plus they can see it's good material!). But the kids I've worked with have only appreciated it in very small doses. As in a few sentences at a time. My attempt to get them to do significant reading from Edwards' Affections fell flat, and I've been too chicken to try anything similar since.

Perhaps you'll have better success. It does seem to me like a good idea. Maybe I just didn't do it well.

No, the Puritans didn't have a youth ministry. They didn't even have volleyball back then. And everyone knows, you can't have a youth ministry without volleyball! :D

But seriously, I think that's a great idea. Someone should write a book on a popular level about the Puritans and their theology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back