Your Deserted Island CDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartoflesh

Puritan Board Junior
If you were to be stranded on a deserted island for one year and could only have 5 CDs to play, what would they be? No double albums please. Here's mine...

1) Django Reinhardt - Verve Jazz Masters 38

2) Doc and Merle Watson - Down South

3) The Beatles - Abbey Road ( I know I once posted that I thought Sgt. Pepper's was their finest work but I don't know if I could listen to it as continually.)

4) Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

5) Thelonious Monk - Misterioso

[Edited on 2-18-2006 by Rick Larson]

I'd take Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier because of the length and variety of music, and different levels of emotion, and just what you could do with it if forced to only have it to listen to (you could memorize each prelude and fugue). Definitely a good piano recording.

I'd also take the complete string quartets of Haydn. (Box sets allowed?)

Beethoven's 9 symphonies.

Bach's B Minor Mass for some human voice.

Then...Kind of Blue sounds pretty good.

Michael - I'd say somebody likes classical music!

Five would be really hard, and would probably (OK, definitely) change here and there, but here goes (or there goes!)...

1. "Anybody Out There?" by Burlap to Cashmere
2. "House Show" by Derek Webb
3. "Greatest Stories Live" by Harry Chapin
4. "The Man In the Iron Mask" (soundtrack)
5. "Closer" by Josh Groban

One thing I took into account was having a "balance" of the genres among my favorite albums (i.e. not having all folk!), which I would definitely want on an island. Close seconds would include CDs by Steven Curtis Chapman, Steven Delopoulos, Bob Dylan, Enya, Shaun Groves, Rich Mullins, Mark Schultz, Mindy Smith, Cat Stevens and 2Pac.

Is anyone else a fan of Chapin's music?

Originally posted by Rick Larson
If you were to be stranded on a deserted island for one year and could only have 5 CDs to play, what would they be? No double albums please.

Its unlikely the batteries in the CD player would last very long, so I would conserve them for use in the radio for news reports/weather for the area in the hopes of better preparing for potential storms or rescue efforts.:D

Originally posted by Gregg
Originally posted by Rick Larson
If you were to be stranded on a deserted island for one year and could only have 5 CDs to play, what would they be? No double albums please.

Its unlikely the batteries in the CD player would last very long, so I would conserve them for use in the radio for news reports/weather for the area in the hopes of better preparing for potential storms or rescue efforts.:D

They also supply you an AC adaptar with a really long chord that connects to the mainland!

Rats-- I'm having second thoughts on Abbey Road already. "Come Together" would really start to wear thin after a while, and I'm afraid I might start suffering halucinations of a giant "Sun King" coming after me. So hard to pick just one Beatles album.

Hmm...I just realized that none of my music is vocal...I guess I might get lonely not hearing any voices. Oh well. Maybe I could sneak the Hymns Triumphant 2-disc set in my pocket?

[Edited on 2-19-2006 by mgeoffriau]

* Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland Northern Presbytery Choir - Scottish Metrical Psalms Vol. 1
* Handel's Messiah by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Choir
* Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
* Boston's Greatest Hits
* The Best of John Denver

**Alternate pick: Mixed CD from my old DJ days at station WRAM

Phantom of the Opera
Wendell Warrington
Martina McBride's Greatest Hits
Alabama/Randy Travis/Reba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back