Young, Restless and Reformed-Merged With "New Christianity Today mag Cover - Young..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Pastor
Young, Restless and Reformed-Merged With \"New Christianity Today mag Cover - Young...\"

Has anyone seen this issue of Christianity Today yet?

[Edited on 8-25-2006 by joshua]

New Christianity Today mag Cover - Young, Restless, Reformed: Calvinism is making a comeback-and shaking up the church

Sept-CT-cover.jpg

We've arrived!:lol:

We should troll the CT website and blogs and post links to the PB to see what happens. Maybe even create a Introductory Forum that non-members could post to asking questions about Calvinism and people could answer them. If it got bad - block the person.

That's why Liberty seminary head Ergun Caner is getting so upset, and turns his sermons into one-hour violent verbal polemics (start video around the 48th minute) against Presbyterians and Reformed sects. He makes up ad hominems and erects straw man arguments to attack.

However, their own muddled theology doesn't hold water; and they know it, and the thinking students know it.

I can testify to the reality that their seminary and undergrad institution are losing their best and brightest. The attrition rate to Reformed seminaries and Bible colleges bothers the administration, particularly Falwell and Caner. This explains why they turn the pulpit into a soapbox for angry polemics against Calvinism and the Reformation faith. Most of my friends pursuing ministry whether the pastorate or missions from Liberty in undergrad left and opted for seminaries that were full of Reformed teachers, or explicitly Reformed in their doctrinal affirmations.

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by Puritanhead]

Originally posted by crhoades
Maybe even create a Introductory Forum that non-members could post to asking questions about Calvinism and people could answer them. If it got bad - block the person.

So that would require them to register for that site. I was trying to think of a way to encourage them to join us if they're qualified without requiring them to register again. That could provide the best of both worlds - the ability to control who posts there as well as who gets admitted here - and one registration only. I'm just brainstorming.

Young, Restless, Reformed. I LIKE IT!!! But I'm 50 now. I don't think I can accept 'young' as a legitimate description. :um:

Originally posted by BobVigneault
Young, Restless, Reformed. I LIKE IT!!! But I'm 50 now. I don't think I can accept 'young' as a legitimate description. :um:
Okay-- I'll call the magazine, and tell them to make a follow-up issue titled Old, Feeble, and Reformed.
:p

Hey Dr. Matt, you had better start working on a new t-shirt : "I was calvinist before calvinism was cool".

Ryan, FEEBLE?????!!!!! Why you!!!! I'll have you know I can still open my bottle of Geritol without the help of power tools! I'll get chu you little whipper snapper!

Calvinism is making a comeback-and shaking up the church

Actually, thinking is making a comeback and thus leading to more Calvinists. The apathetic euphoria movement is being seen for what it is - confusion.

All I can say is PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY!!! I'm excited about reading the article in CT, a mag I haven't read in years. The Founders Movement in the SBC is a good example of what is happening. I'd be surprised if they aren't noted in the CT article.

And....Dude! I want one of those totally awesome t-shirts! "Jonathan Edwards is my homeboy"! I love it!!

I like Bob's offering too:

"I was Calvinist before Calvinism was cool!":sing:

Bob, we are still VERY young at heart! We are eternally young in the Lord!

Originally posted by Ivan
Bob, we are still VERY young at heart! We are eternally young in the Lord!

Absolutely right brother Ivan. To prove it, you hold Ryan while I wallop him with my walker.

Ryan, I'll take you on in a game of Full Contact Croquet On Ice sometime and we'll see who is the most nimble.

Now if we can just get them the whole way

Sept-CT-cover.jpg

We've arrived!:lol:

We should troll the CT website and blogs and post links to the PB to see what happens. Maybe even create a Introductory Forum that non-members could post to asking questions about Calvinism and people could answer them. If it got bad - block the person.

Can you say wet babies?

Originally posted by jaybird0827
Maybe even create a Introductory Forum that non-members could post to asking questions about Calvinism and people could answer them. If it got bad - block the person.

So that would require them to register for that site. I was trying to think of a way to encourage them to join us if they're qualified without requiring them to register again. That could provide the best of both worlds - the ability to control who posts there as well as who gets admitted here - and one registration only. I'm just brainstorming.

Is it possible to allow new members who don't yet subscribe to WCF or LBCF to have a limited membership area and only gain full board access when and if any of them come to a point of subscribing to the confessions?? A place where the more learned members who are pastors, elders, or very mature in the Lord enough can field the questions that may be asked?

I think this might be better for some of those who come in here with absolutely no clue as to the height and depth of true historical reformed Christian theology. I know that I was completely clueless of nearly everything 11 yrs ago when I first hear RC Sproul and I had to start from square one.

When I arrived here at the PB, even after 9 or so years later of trying to self teach myself while still attending my Charismatic church, I had to look up terms or just figure them out. I was translating all kinds of things you guys were saying. It is definitely a new language and huge paradigm shift from the modern churches. I am staggered now of just how ignorant I was of scripture, soteriology, all of it. I was saying WOW! to myself nearly everyday as the scriptures were finally opened up to me under good teachers like we have here. I would say I have learned more in the last 2 years in a Reformed Church/Seminary and this board than all of those years just bumbling around.
I just think and infant in the Lord, as many coming out of modern churches are, might benefit from a structure of that sort where it's known, this is where you can ask anything even if it seems silly and really basic. Like what terms mean etc. It's possible I am just exceptionally slow but I know none of my modern church peers, who haven't run away screaming yet, have no clue what I am talking about half the time, so maybe not. :um:

Perhaps another idea would be to allow open membership but censure those who obstinately contradict the sound doctrine of the confessions.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
That's why Liberty seminary head Ergun Caner is getting so upset, and turns his sermons into one-hour violent verbal polemics (start video around the 48th minute) against Presbyterians and Reformed sects. He makes up ad hominems and erects straw man arguments to attack.

However, their own muddled theology doesn't hold water; and they know it, and the thinking students know it.

I can testify to the reality that their seminary and undergrad institution are losing their best and brightest. The attrition rate to Reformed seminaries and Bible colleges bothers the administration, particularly Falwell and Caner. This explains why they turn the pulpit into a soapbox for angry polemics against Calvinism and the Reformation faith. Most of my friends pursuing ministry whether the pastorate or missions from Liberty in undergrad left and opted for seminaries that were full of Reformed teachers, or explicitly Reformed in their doctrinal affirmations.

Actually it starts at the 38th min. You don't want to miss him quoting 1 Tim. 2. At least he distinguishes and uses the term hyper-calvinist instead of just calivinist.

[Edited on 8-24-2006 by Augusta]

Originally posted by Augusta
Originally posted by jaybird0827

Is it possible to allow new members who don't yet subscribe to WCF or LBCF to have a limited membership area and only gain full board access when and if any of them come to a point of subscribing to the confessions?? A place where the more learned members who are pastors, elders, or very mature in the Lord enough can field the questions that may be asked?

I think this might be better for some of those who come in here with absolutely no clue as to the height and depth of true historical reformed Christian theology. I know that I was completely clueless of nearly everything 11 yrs ago when I first hear RC Sproul and I had to start from square one.

When I arrived here at the PB, even after 9 or so years later of trying to self teach myself while still attending my Charismatic church, I had to look up terms or just figure them out. I was translating all kinds of things you guys were saying. It is definitely a new language and huge paradigm shift from the modern churches. I am staggered now of just how ignorant I was of scripture, soteriology, all of it. I was saying WOW! to myself nearly everyday as the scriptures were finally opened up to me under good teachers like we have here. I would say I have learned more in the last 2 years in a Reformed Church/Seminary and this board than all of those years just bumbling around.
I just think and infant in the Lord, as many coming out of modern churches are, might benefit from a structure of that sort where it's known, this is where you can ask anything even if it seems silly and really basic. Like what terms mean etc. It's possible I am just exceptionally slow but I know none of my modern church peers, who haven't run away screaming yet, have no clue what I am talking about half the time, so maybe not. :um:

The Reformed Reader forum (Baptist) has an "Open Forum" for non-baptists to discuss various issues. But it's on the honor system whether they stick to that forum or not. With the volume on this board, that probably wouldn't work, so that would entail some kind of limited membership. There is also a decision as to how open to be. Would only "evangelicals" be allowed (whatever that is!). Open it up to all Trinitarians? That would include Romanists. Could possibly be anything goes as long as it's civil. Some discussion and debate and outside our own circles might not be a bad thing. Whether it would work here is another issue.

Originally posted by Puritanhead

I would think that unless Ascol and White perform very poorly at the upcoming debate (not likely in my opinion) that this trend will only continue.

Just read this article today. It was very interesting and encouraging. I think it demonstrates how robust a Reformed worldview can be in times like ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back