Young Earth science

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its wise to read sites like AIG with the same degree of incredulity.

Of course, the same is true for the anti-Creation sites and literature as well...
put these together, and that's another way of saying what Reed said!

No, Reed said it was wrong to bring up bias when critiquing AIG. I'm saying it's not wrong because all scientists are guilty of it, including well-meaning Christian scientists. Some people assume that everything on AIG is correct simply because it is pro-Creationism. I'm saying that's not the case at all...

This is getting confusing. Reed said
....bias is an essential charateristic of all science because of science is carried out by scientists, of whom none can be unbiased.
So he concluded that no scientists should be looked to for value-free results; and you're stressing that that must apply to AiG just as much, which is fair enough.
It can't apply more, or especially, to them though - so it's back to the drawing-board, with neither scientific camp able to provide values-neutral testimony. Better just stick to the word of God!

This is getting confusing. Reed said
....bias is an essential charateristic of all science because of science is carried out by scientists, of whom none can be unbiased.
So he concluded that no scientists should be looked to for value-free results; and you're stressing that that must apply to AiG just as much, which is fair enough.
It can't apply more, or especially, to them though - so it's back to the drawing-board, with neither scientific camp able to provide values-neutral testimony. Better just stick to the word of God!

It's important to not only understand that there is bias, but the nature of that bias.

I'm biased in favour of the bias which assumes God's hand in the Cosmos, and biased against the bias which bases everything on his presumed non-existence

I'm biased in favour of the bias which assumes God's hand in the Cosmos, and biased against the bias which bases everything on his presumed non-existence

As an old earth creationist, I have the same bias. But platitudes are not all that helpful.

Some people assume that everything on AIG is correct simply because it is pro-Creationism.

I'm a young earther, i.e I take Genesis literally. But I see Mason's critique as very important, since looking dumb doesn't help my cause, but quite the reverse.

As an old earth creationist, I have the same bias. But platitudes are not all that helpful.
sorry!
But although I framed it semi-facetiously, I meant it seriously, and I'm not so sure yet that it is a platitude.
If you know that every scientist, being human, has his own peculiar bias, then you know enough.
You know that makes it a straight choice between two implacably opposed presuppositions.

As for looking dumb, Tim, I do take your point, but for a YEC where I live, in the Scottish sticks, that's past praying for.
People I know who know I'm a young-earther, or suspect it (I always have stickers on my car in the hope of sparking debate) will tiptoe round me and go to any lengths to avoid the subject. With true British delicacy, they're far too polite to mention my obviously mentally-challenged state!

looking foolish

There has been mentioned several times that creation sceintists make us look foolish to the world. Since when do Christians not look foolish to the world. I know there are many who call themselves Christians who are indeed foolish, but I am referring to those of us who believe and defend what is said in scripture. I Cor 2:14 says "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." I don't think we will get very far if we base our theology on not looking foolish to the world, we need to rely on the wisdom of God. It is God who caused Genesis to be written.

There has been mentioned several times that creation sceintists make us look foolish to the world. Since when do Christians not look foolish to the world. I know there are many who call themselves Christians who are indeed foolish, but I am referring to those of us who believe and defend what is said in scripture. I Cor 2:14 says "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." I don't think we will get very far if we base our theology on not looking foolish to the world, we need to rely on the wisdom of God. It is God who caused Genesis to be written.
Hi Dawn. That's what I was meaning. I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back