"You should be a Christian because..."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
What is the one or two lines that you would give to the question of "why should I be a Christian?" with the only context being its a person who really wants to know and they have zero understanding of the Bible or Christian terminology? Please then finish the sentence if you'd like" (no need to respond if you are attempting to be witty or a Theological snob, but as if a genuine soul was asking ;) );

"You should be a Christian because..."

Because this life is headed toward death, but in Jesus there is eternal life.

Because Jesus is better than anything else. What the world offers does not satisfy and will not last. (Be ready to start explaining how Jesus is better than anything else. The great answers to that question can run on for some time.)

Because this life is headed toward death, but in Jesus there is eternal life.

Because Jesus is better than anything else. What the world offers does not satisfy and will not last. (Be ready to start explaining how Jesus is better than anything else. The great answers to that question can run on for some time.)
Good good. This seems compelling indeed! I too think this is a great start. Would you mind possibly to further clarify if they might say:
"What do you mean that 'this life is heading towards death'? That resonates with me but not clear?"

To glorify God, and fully to enjoy Him forever.
Good good. I think that's a fine intro! I think the question to follow, and fair enough, would be:
"Hmmm interesting. I always thought it was just sort of "sin management". What are ways that I can "enjoy God" as you speak of?"

WLC

Q.
65. What special benefits do the members of the invisible Church enjoy by Christ?
A. The members of the invisible Church, by Christ, enjoy union and communion with him in grace and glory.

Q. 66. What is that union which the elect have with Christ?
A. The union which the elect have with Christ is the work of God’s grace, whereby they are spiritually and mystically, yet really and inseparably, joined to Christ as their head and husband; which is done in their effectual calling.

Q. 83. What is the communion in glory with Christ which the members of the invisible Church enjoy in this life?
A. The members of the invisible Church have communicated to them in this life the first-fruits of glory with Christ, as they are members of him their head, and so in him are interested in that glory which he is fully possessed of; and, as an earnest thereof, enjoy the sense of God’s love, peace of conscience, joy in the Holy Ghost, and hope of glory; as, on the contrary, sense of God’s revenging wrath, horror of conscience, and a fearful expectation of judgment, are to the wicked the beginning of their torments which they shall endure after death.

God is the ultimate reality and Christ is the ultimate purpose of the universe we live in. If we live our lives against Him we are fighting reality and it can only fail.

WLC

Q.
65. What special benefits do the members of the invisible Church enjoy by Christ?
A. The members of the invisible Church, by Christ, enjoy union and communion with him in grace and glory.

John 17:21; Eph. 2:5-6; John 17:24.

Q. 66. What is that union which the elect have with Christ?
A. The union which the elect have with Christ is the work of God’s grace, whereby they are spiritually and mystically, yet really and inseparably, joined to Christ as their head and husband; which is done in their effectual calling.

Eph. 1:22; Eph. 2:6-8; 1 Cor. 6:17; John 10:28; Eph. 5:23, 30; 1 Pet. 5:10; 1 Cor. 1:9.

Q. 83. What is the communion in glory with Christ which the members of the invisible Church enjoy in this life?
A. The members of the invisible Church have communicated to them in this life the first-fruits of glory with Christ, as they are members of him their head, and so in him are interested in that glory which he is fully possessed of; and, as an earnest thereof, enjoy the sense of God’s love, peace of conscience, joy in the Holy Ghost, and hope of glory; as, on the contrary, sense of God’s revenging wrath, horror of conscience, and a fearful expectation of judgment, are to the wicked the beginning of their torments which they shall endure after death.

Eph. 2:6; Rom. 5:5 with 2 Cor. 1:22; Rom. 5:1-2; Rom. 14:17; Gen. 4:13; Matt. 27:4; Heb. 10:27; Rom. 2:9; Mark 9:44.
Hehehe this is what you would recite to the inquiring mind?

God is the ultimate reality and Christ is the ultimate purpose of the universe we live in. If we live our lives against Him we are fighting reality and it can only fail.
They might say:

"What is this "ultimate purpose" you speak of?

With the progression I have heretofore posted, yes. Perhaps worded differently, depending on the person and circumstances. If someone asks me 'Why should I be a Christian?' I would respond, "You are duty-bound to know God (and Jesus Christ Whom He has sent) and obey the Gospel." Hence, "To glorify God, and fully to enjoy Him forever." The order is first, all with an eye to His glory, the enjoyment of Him follows in that right glorifying of Him, such that we -more and more- learn to love the things that He loves, and to hate the things that He hates. Such, that, inevitably -even (and maybe especially) under His chastisements- we are in a perpetual state of enjoyment (whether in God's smiles or His Fatherly frowns), knowing that God justly leaves others to their sin and ignorance, forever to be separated from His comfortable presence.

I might say something like this:

You should become a Christian because doing as such aligns you with the very purpose you were created, and all of those echos of a distant land that you have only seen glimpses of are to be found and resonate when you come to an understanding of who Jesus Christ is, why he came to earth, and why He died.

With the progression I have heretofore posted, yes. Perhaps worded differently, depending on the person and circumstances. If someone asks me 'Why should I be a Christian?' I would respond, "You are duty-bound to know God (and Jesus Christ Whom He has sent) and obey the Gospel." Hence, "To glorify God, and fully to enjoy Him forever."
Indeed.

Open with:
You are commanded to believe He who created you. It is your duty. Live, and do this.

And proceed from there.

"You are duty-bound to know God (and Jesus Christ Whom He has sent) and obey the Gospel." Hence, "To glorify God, and fully to enjoy Him forever." The order is first, all with an eye to His glory, the enjoyment of Him follows in that right glorifying of Him, such that we -more and more- learn to love the things that He loves, and to hate the things that He hates. Such, that, inevitably -even (and maybe especially) under His chastisements- we are in a perpetual state of enjoyment (whether in God's smiles or His Fatherly frowns), knowing that God justly leaves others to their sin and ignorance, forever to be separated from His comfortable presence.
This is good. Compelling indeed. Spoken a bit eloquently, but I think Old English and British accents lend further credence to truth claims ;)

Because of eternity; eternity, eternity where will you spend eternity?
I can understand this, indeed a huge thrust, but one might say:

"Indeed I don't want to spend eternity in torment, then I will buy hell insurance... Is there any reason for the here and now that I should be a Christian or is it only the afterlife?"

They might say:

"What is this "ultimate purpose" you speak of?
I would say that without an ultimate purpose all things are meaningless. All things including your life and this very conversation we are having.

This is good. Compelling indeed. Spoken a bit eloquently, but I think Old English and British accents lend further credence to truth claims ;)

John 3:16—God lufede middaneard swa þæt he sealde hys ancennedan sune þæt nan ne forwurðe þe on hine gelefð, ac hæbbe þt eche lyf.

I would say that without an ultimate purpose all things are meaningless. All things including your life and this very conversation we are having.
"What is the substance of the "meaning" you speak of? is it joy? if so how do I get this joy? Is it clarity, if so what is cleared up?

John 3:16—God lufede middan-eard swa þæt he sealde hys akennedan sune þæt nan ne forwurðe þe on hine gelefð. Ac habbe þt eche lyf.
Upon that beautiful delivery the hearer be like:

"Well when you put it that way: here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"What is the substance of the "meaning" you speak of? is it joy? if so how do I get this joy? Is it clarity, if so what is cleared up?

Our personal experiences (joy, pain, confusion, clarity, etc) are born and die with us. I am talking about the source of all things including you and your personal experiences.

What is compelling about the source of all things...hmmm. Well for one thing he is the source of all things and all meaning is from him. So there is that.

I would also ask this hypothetical person if they were convinced that Jesus is who he claimed to be, would they be glad? Because this would lead to some changes in their lifestyle, which would lead to a conversation about what Jesus says about sin and how we are enslaved to it until we are set free by him,.

What is compelling about the source of all things...hmmm. Well for one thing he is the source of all things and all meaning is from him. So there is that.
One might assume he as the source is compelling but it doesn't necessarily follow. For example, the source of all water i drink is from a certain mountain about 60 miles from mu home, and as much as I have a passing gratitude for the sources existence it doesnt follow that I want to give my life to that source. Or, oxygen, in a sense that is the source, yet Im not that compelled by its existence. Follow me my brother?

I would also ask this hypothetical person if they were convinced that Jesus is who he claimed to be, would they be glad? Because this would lead to some changes in their lifestyle, which would lead to a conversation about what Jesus says about sin and how we are enslaved to it until we are set free by him,.
This hypothetical person has no idea of who Jesus claims to be save what you have told them, so, from what you have said so far, Chris is the ultimate purpose. So they might retort:

"What then is the purpose of Christ?"

Yes I do know what you're saying. This is why speaking to a person who doesn't believe is really speaking to someone who doesn't have a correct idea of what "God" is. So this is where I would share the message of the Gospel with them and ask them to make their way through the Gospel of John with me and pray for the Spirit to open their eyes to believe.

Because there is no greater joy than knowing this glorious God who has loved you in your guilt, yet promises to make all things new in his grace.

The 'zero understanding' is the key in your proposed scenario. If we take that at face value, then my answer would be; '.....for many, many reasons including mankind's ultimate purpose.' I would want the person to feel compelled to ask more. A single Tweet sized response isn't able to convey much to someone bone ignorant.

You are a sinner, and God is angry with the sinner every day, but believe in Him, and you shall be saved. But if you will not now seek Him, having heard of your duty before God to repent, Jesus said, "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are" and if you do not seek the mercy of God, He will shut the door, and you will suffer the wrath to come. Hopefully that's when they say "what must I do to be saved?!"

You are a sinner, and God is angry with the sinner every day, but believe in Him, and you shall be saved. But if you will not now seek Him, having heard of your duty before God to repent, Jesus said, "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are" and if you do not seek the mercy of God, He will shut the door, and you will suffer the wrath to come. Hopefully that's when they say "what must I do to be saved?!"
Will he love Jesus or take Him on because love of self and the desire not to perish?

Anyone can correct me if they disagree, but appealing to a person's felt needs seems like the wrong way to go about this. If we sell Jesus as a fix-all to their emotional problems, i.e. Jesus will give you perfect joy, peace, love, wholeness, etc. They might want those things, but not really want Jesus. These are also false-promises and in a sense, a false-gospel.

And me personally, I don't want a God that wants me to believe in Him so I feel better. I want truth. I am sure many people out there want to know the truth as well despite how it will effect their own happiness. But to see the kingdom of heaven you must be born again and there is no getting around that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back