To perceive the words of understanding,
3To receive the instruction of wisdom,
Justice, judgment, and equity;
4To give prudence to the simple,
To the young man knowledge and discretion--
5A wise man will hear and increase learning,
And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
6To understand a proverb and an enigma,
The words of the wise and their riddles.

7The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

[Edited on 4-13-2004 by raderag]

[quote:8727f12649][i:8727f12649]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:8727f12649]
modern Christian dualism [/quote:8727f12649]

Paul, I think I see where you are coming from, but could you expound on that a bit?

[quote:4916ba26c0][i:4916ba26c0]Originally posted by wsw201[/i:4916ba26c0]
How about "Heart Knowledge" :scratch: [/quote:4916ba26c0]

:ditto:

Knowing truth is one thing, applying it to your life is another. knowing we are to love one another is easy, actually doing it is another!

When it comes to knowing and loving our God, what's the difference between head knowledge and....whatever else knowledge?:puzzled:

Is it that the person has a hard time relating?

Condescention from higher to lower is one of the most beautiful images of God to me (literally to me).

If you got the knowledge and people can't get it, people that have studied hard must condescend so others understand. If people that are more studied than me (head knowledge) don't painfully and humbly condescend to my level I couldn't care less what they have to say. You can't reach as many people that way.

Condescention is hard for brainy people. It's a type of killing of yourself for the others sake. A beautiful picture for me is when God says "For I was to thee as one who lifts a yoke a bending down I lovingly fed you."

This is coming from a guy who faced a group of people at 11 last night because my attitude backfired on me even though I told them people gospel. I tend to come across as a know-it-all unfortunately but I do want to get better and am learning death to self and empathy is the key.

I enjoy this place for the commeradery and longing for others to believe in God's soveriengty in salvation not as doctrine but as infinite love to a few. That is a tough pill for a lot of people to swallow because it doesn't seem just to many. But to change mindsets and *unneccessary* division, reformers gotta die to brains only as the answer (if that is the case for an individual). So, the truth in love is easier said than done because love implies death to self. I hope I did not needlessly irritate in this discussion but hopefully encourage us to transform those in our circle of influence with lowly love when we speak. Yea? Verily?

Pvt. Bouncies Drill Instructor telling Bouncy he doesn't have enough head knowledge.

:hat1::bouncy:

Head knowledge Vs. Heart knowledge

Yes, I TOO, am sick of this false dichotomy between the so-called head vs. heart knowledge.
Basically, when people decry this "You've got head knowledge but no heart knowledge" what theyre really saying is:
"Why do think doctrine is so important? You think you're going to heaven because of all that you know! I'm taking what little I know and am actually using it and applying it! Look at the Pharisees. They had a lot of knowledge, but missed the point completely!"

This argument irritates the hell out of me! :banghead:
I've almost lost all patience for dealing with it, because as soon as I hear it I immediately know that me and the other person are so far from being on the same wavelength that I'm not sure I have the energy to breach the chasm.

I like what "StayTheCourse" had to say, and I agree wholeheartedly. Well put, Amigo!

I think what people are reacting to (over reacting may be more accurate) is this imagined public enemy that is a puffed-up scholar full of pride who looks with condescension upon all others for not knowing as much as he. This is such a ghost enemy that people are fighting against! Since when in the last few decades have we had a problem with people studying too much doctrine!!! (As if such a "problem" could exist!)

We have such a separation of thoughts from feelings in our modern day vocabulary that we've come to believe that our motives and inclinations come from a region below our heads, and then empty logic stems from our brains. And, sure enough, in this depiction the "heart" is made to look like the only important thing, when in reality its a false distinction. Our feelings flow out of WHAT WE THINK! How elementary is this, yet how lost in contemporary evangelicalism?

So when people say, "You've got too much head knowledge," they're simply arguing a straw-man argument that makes it seem as though a head is stuffed with inanimate ideas and impractical ponderings with nothing "moving" the person into action or emotion. This is just a case of modern-day anti-intellectualism and I think we all need to be aware of its subtle influence upon those we converse with, because its out there BIG TIME!

< end of rant >
:banghead:

[quote:f5772c97a8]This argument irritates the hell out of me![/quote:f5772c97a8]

Better than irritating the hell [i:f5772c97a8]into[/i:f5772c97a8] you, I guess.

[quote:bc8dc2e921][i:bc8dc2e921]Originally posted by alwaysreforming[/i:bc8dc2e921]
Yes, I TOO, am sick of this false dichotomy between the so-called head vs. heart knowledge.
Basically, when people decry this "You've got head knowledge but no heart knowledge" what theyre really saying is:
"Why do think doctrine is so important? You think you're going to heaven because of all that you know! I'm taking what little I know and am actually using it and applying it! Look at the Pharisees. They had a lot of knowledge, but missed the point completely!"

This argument irritates the hell out of me! :banghead:
I've almost lost all patience for dealing with it, because as soon as I hear it I immediately know that me and the other person are so far from being on the same wavelength that I'm not sure I have the energy to breach the chasm.

I like what "StayTheCourse" had to say, and I agree wholeheartedly. Well put, Amigo!

I think what people are reacting to (over reacting may be more accurate) is this imagined public enemy that is a puffed-up scholar full of pride who looks with condescension upon all others for not knowing as much as he. This is such a ghost enemy that people are fighting against! Since when in the last few decades have we had a problem with people studying too much doctrine!!! (As if such a "problem" could exist!)

We have such a separation of thoughts from feelings in our modern day vocabulary that we've come to believe that our motives and inclinations come from a region below our heads, and then empty logic stems from our brains. And, sure enough, in this depiction the "heart" is made to look like the only important thing, when in reality its a false distinction. Our feelings flow out of WHAT WE THINK! How elementary is this, yet how lost in contemporary evangelicalism?

So when people say, "You've got too much head knowledge," they're simply arguing a straw-man argument that makes it seem as though a head is stuffed with inanimate ideas and impractical ponderings with nothing "moving" the person into action or emotion. This is just a case of modern-day anti-intellectualism and I think we all need to be aware of its subtle influence upon those we converse with, because its out there BIG TIME!

< end of rant >
:banghead: [/quote:bc8dc2e921]

:ditto:

Or a similar expression that gives me a rash between my shoulders is -
"Don't be so heavenly wise that you're no earthly good".
Arrrrrrgh!:banghead:

[quote:6a14832671][i:6a14832671]Originally posted by Gregg[/i:6a14832671]
Pvt. Bouncies Drill Instructor telling Bouncy he doesn't have enough head knowledge.

:hat1::bouncy: [/quote:6a14832671]

Is that a regulation Hat there Mr. Drill Instructor? :gpl::naughty:

I'm sure it must be irritating to be told that you have too much "head knowledge". And certainly, in Biblical Christianity the affections are reached through the understanding. Ignorance is not just damaging --if we're not doing anything about it, at some point it becomes sinful. But two quotes may help us not to go too far.

I Corinthians 8:1-3 (NKJV)
Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know. But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him.

And Jonathan Edwards "Christian Knowledge" sect. II
There are two kinds of knowledge of divine truth, viz. speculative and practical, or in other terms, natural and spiritual. The former remains only in the head. No other faculty but the understanding is concerned in it. It consists in having a natural or rational knowledge of the things of religion, or such a knowledge as is to be obtained by the natural exercise of our own faculties, without any special illumination of the Spirit of God. The latter rests not entirely in the head, or in the speculative ideas of things; but the heart is concerned in it: it principally consists in the sense of the heart. The mere intellect, without the will or the inclination, is not the seat of it. And it may not only be called seeing, but feeling or tasting. Thus there is a difference between having a right speculative notion of the doctrines contained in the word of God, and having a due sense of them in the heart. In the former consists the speculative or natural knowledge, in the latter consists the spiritual or practical knowledge of them.

It is like the distinction made by A.N. Martin between a knowledge of the "form" and a knowledge of the "glory". George Bernard Shaw has, in the introduction to one of his plays, enunciated the Gospel pretty distinctly. He grasped the form of it. But obviously, given his beliefs, he saw no glory in it.

The best refutation for people who think that the notional or speculative knowledge is unimportant is to let them see how the truth has made us free --that we obey from the heart the form of doctrine delivered to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back