You Have NEVER Seen Organ Playing Like This

Status
Not open for further replies.

The lady who is the lead church organist at FBC is not bad either.

[video=youtube;ZrlSwkN0vck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrlSwkN0vck[/video]

Ellen doesn't have much on the web, and this only shows her footwork but I think you can get an idea of her skills. The fireworks start about half way through.

And sometimes I get to play with her (trombone and organ or trombone and piano duet).

"You Have NEVER Seen Organ Playing Like This."

Well, maybe. . . but then again, you haven't seen me play Buxtehude's Prelude, Fugue, and Chaconne in cowboy boots either. ;)

My old organ professor was kind of a curmudgeon. His doctoral dissertation was on Bach ornamentation. He told us that Bach would never waste a move, his hands would float over the keys with no drama, and his fingers moved up and down only enough to depress the keys. He got this from reading some original letters by students of Bach's sons.

But, each period is different. The video was a good show. But I still maintain that you haven't seen real drama in organ playing until you see a master organist play something really hard without bouncing or arm flapping. It's almost scary.

I have never seen footwork like that, you could play the same piece with a lot less footwork - he needed one hand to keep him steady because he was doing most of it with his feet.

Simply astounding.

I play the organ, and I only use the pedals to sound the bottom bass note. I usually take my shoes off, so fresh socks are always advisable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back