Wretched video against Bethel and Hillsong

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is always interesting to notice that when non-EP pastors argue against contemporary music they inadvertently make arguments for EP, but never realize it themselves. The Psalms are the great unifier of the Church, all of this arguing and heresy can be simply avoided by singing the songs the Lord gave to us for His own worship.

An argument against bad songs isn't an inadvertent argument for EP any more than an argument against cured meats laden with preservatives is an inadvertent argument for veganism.

It is always interesting to notice that when non-EP pastors argue against contemporary music they inadvertently make arguments for EP, but never realize it themselves. The Psalms are the great unifier of the Church, all of this arguing and heresy can be simply avoided by singing the songs the Lord gave to us for His own worship.
Right. If only they'd carry their argument a little further and ask, "Hang on, who says we should be singing man-made songs anyway?"

An argument against bad songs isn't an inadvertent argument for EP any more than an argument against cured meats laden with preservatives is an inadvertent argument for veganism.
Contemporary songs go beyond “bad”, they are at times downright blasphemous. Veganisme can at least have some healthy advantages, however worshipping our God with our own vain attempts of innovation can only lead to decay.

I've realized that the best way in general to promote Psalm singing is to show what the Psalms really are; the Trinitarian nature of them and the voice of the Son and his church, and how he leads us in singing them. An understanding in the church's history as regards worship and how we got to where we are is really important too. I so recommend the Christopher Ash lectures I posted a thread about earlier.

Right. If only they'd carry their argument a little further and ask, "Hang on, who says we should be singing man-made songs anyway?"
Indeed, or “Hang on, why would I not want to sing songs I know are theologically perfect?”
Snark and sarcasm do not advance your argument. In fact they harm it. I would suggest showing a little more respect for those here who do not share your opinion.

Snark and sarcasm do not advance your argument. In fact they harm it. I would suggest showing a little more respect for those here who do not share your opinion.
Hmm, I didn’t take that remark (edit, either Tom’s or Bob’s) as snark or sarcasm. The Psalms truly are theologically perfect, so I took them to be describing an ‘aha’ moment that someone might have or tracing out where the logic might lead.

Hmm, I didn’t take that remark (edit, either Tom’s or Bob’s) as snark or sarcasm. The Psalms truly are theologically perfect, so I took them to be describing an ‘aha’ moment that someone might have or tracing out where the logic might lead.
I believe the point they have made by their remarks is that if those of us who do not hold to EP bothered using our brains, we would arrive at the same conclusion they have.

It certainly was not intended to be snarky, if it sounded that way I apologize. I could have been more tactful, thankfully Jeri has made arguments with far greater eloquence than I am capable of.

Snark and sarcasm? Where?
I believe the point they have made by their remarks is that if those of us who do not hold to EP bothered using our brains, we would arrive at the same conclusion they have.
No one has said that at all.

We are in a virtual world where it’s hard to determine a motive of a member from afar.

There are things I read that I thought was rhetorically against me because of “snark and sarcasm” on the computer screens regardless of the true intent the words mean to convey.

Romans 14:5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, or “Hang on, why would I not want to sing songs I know are theologically perfect?”
Do you only listen to sermons that are theologically perfect? Only read books that are theologically perfect? Only join in corporate prayers that are theologically perfect?

Do you only listen to sermons that are theologically perfect? Only read books that are theologically perfect? Only join in corporate prayers that are theologically perfect?
Only by the intersection of Christ are sermons and prayers made perfect and acceptable to the Father. The Word however is perfect and so are the Psalms. God breathed them out for us, it is only appropriate that we breath them back to Him.

I'm more concerned with 21st Century heretics than I am with 19th Century heretics.

One need only be concerned with 19th Century heretic hymn-writiers if one is singing their hymns in worship. If you are not then that is good but that is rather the point being made: hymns are being sung today which were written by heretics.

Only by the intersection of Christ are sermons and prayers made perfect and acceptable to the Father. The Word however is perfect and so are the Psalms. God breathed them out for us, it is only appropriate that we breath them back to Him.
I'm not following how non-inspired sermons and prayers are acceptable, but non-inspired songs are not.

I'm not following how non-inspired sermons and prayers are acceptable, but non-inspired songs are not.
Are sermons by Osteen or other heretics accepted by God? Are the prayers of the unregenerate accepted?

Don’t get me wrong, I am not that dogmatic that I believe that God won’t accept earnest worship from His people, hymns or psalms. The larger and most important question is how does God want to be worshipped and how do we protect the purity of worship. In my opinion, that can only be done if we follow the prescribed formula found in Scripture and sing the songs He gave us for that purpose.

Saw Justin Peterson speak at the Strange Fire conference - nice guy. I was prompted to leave the church I was attending when they started singing repetative songs back to back for 20 mins at a time. I miss sound hymns but not the Hillsong "session" which seems to prefer emotion over SD.

"God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? Behold, I have received a command to bless; He has blessed, and I cannot reverse it." (Balaam, Num. 19-20)

“You are the Christ, the Son of God!” (Demons, Luke 4:41)

"...it is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, and not that the whole nation should perish.” (Caiaphas, John 11:50)

Sometimes truth comes from unlikely places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back