Wow! That's a Lot of Reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I read 11,606 pages. This year (or I guess the last 9 1/2 months anyway) I've read over 10,000 pages. (Not counting on-line or print articles of course.) :book2:

Quantity over quality?

I hope not! Out of the 81 books I've read since January 2008 almost all of them are either:
1) recognized literary classics (i.e. The Aeneid, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, Northanger Abbey)
2) history books
3) theological works
4) political/economic works (i.e. The Tragedy of American Compassion - by Olasky)

But then again, I'm a college student so a big part of my job is reading. :)

Because it helps retain what is read.

Of course, I guess a down side might be that this seems like a lot of work if we are reading for fun or for stress relief.

I can't see it. Of course making notes is good (I use Zotero myself) but I can't see the point of recording the number of pages and dates of reading unless I wanted to measure the speed of my reading.

What is Zotero?

Zotero is a firefox addon research tool that helps you gather, organize, and analyze sources. Zotero | Home. I use it to tag my notes and quotes so if at some point in the future I want to summarise and remember my reading on, say, free will or repentance, it will bring up all the books with notes and quotes tagged accordingly. It also exports as xml so the data is future proof.

Last year I read 11,606 pages. This year (or I guess the last 9 1/2 months anyway) I've read over 10,000 pages. (Not counting on-line or print articles of course.) :book2:

Quantity over quality?

I hope not! Out of the 81 books I've read since January 2008 almost all of them are either:
1) recognized literary classics (i.e. The Aeneid, The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, Northanger Abbey)
2) history books
3) theological works
4) political/economic works (i.e. The Tragedy of American Compassion - by Olasky)

But then again, I'm a college student so a big part of my job is reading. :)

Ah, but how's your comprehension and retention? There's the rub...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back