would be a hoot if not so sad (Priest "blesses" Hooters Restaurant)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Humor' started by Scott, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry from Canada

Henry from Canada Puritan Board Freshman

Scott asked:
    "Henry, do you know what hooters are?"

I believe so. I never use the term, however. I think the term is offensive and juvenile.

I believe that the priest meant well, and could have made at least one Hooters employee more favourably inclined to reach out to God.

I will not condemn the priest.

If you people wish to condemn the priest, then go ahead.

We have an honest difference of opinion here.

Enjoy the game on Sunday. I hope noone gets hurt and noone endures lustful thoughts watching the cheerleaders.

2. Henry from Canada

oops, I just remembered, Scott. You do not watch professional sports.
    My apologies.

3. Scott

Scott Puritan Board Graduate

Henry: What is your opinion of the priest's approval of "hooters?"

What game on Sunday are you talking about? You seem preoccupied with an alleged criticism that does not seem to exist or be relevant to anyone on the thread.

4. raderag

raderag Puritan Board Sophomore

Talk about a non-sequitor. I think Scott even mentioned that he tends not watch football.

When did you stop beating your wife?

5. Henry from Canada

You know, Scott, that is a good question.

The priest asked God to:
    "bless the building so it will be a safe haven, so that the families that enter will be blessed, so the employees will be blessed as they support their families.

The 63-year-old priest says he knows some people might think it's odd for a man of the cloth to bless a restaurant best known for waitresses who wear tight tops and short shorts. Rozycki also knows the move may draw the ire of other local religious leaders.

About 60 local ministers signed a letter this fall in which they expressed their disapproval of the restaurant. They said they oppose Hooters because it exploits women and bases its marketing campaign on sexual innuendo.

But to Rozycki, offering the blessing is just another way he can reach out and serve the community. He pointed to the biblical story of Jesus eating with a tax collector, even though men in that profession were considered among the worst of sinners. He says he doesn't see how attending the Hooters event is any different.

For the record, though, Rozycki said he doesn't think Hooters deserves the bad rap it has gotten from some. He has eaten at a Dallas-area Hooters twice, he said, and enjoyed the experience.

People who go to the restaurant with lust in their hearts are sure to find what they are looking for, Rozycki said. But that would be true no matter where they went, he said, adding that the waitresses' uniforms are less revealing than what is on display at the beach or a public swimming pool."

I might add that there are many many restaurants, stores, banks, etc. which have similarly scantily-clad women.

Is this right. I do not think so, but my focus is on trying to keep my own heart pure - not on focusing on the sins of others. (This is tough.)

In spite of this, the priest wants to avoid condemning Hooters employees.

The priest appears to want to bless these people. It appears he wants to reach to "the lost."

I think the priest could have reached out to them and still made some criticism of the dress. But perhaps the priest wanted so much to present a non-judgmental image of the church, he wanted to avoid any criticism. I have seen other well-meaning Christians do the same.

As I have stated before in this thread, the priest will be held accountable for his actions by God.

I will not condemn a man that seeks to reach out and bless "the lost." If you want to, go ahead.

6. raderag

And wants to frequent said eating establishment. I'm sure he just goes for the food.

7. Henry from Canada

Brett said:
    "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Excuse me, I have beaten a woman or man.

8. raderag

Same logic you are using with Scott about football. That is my point. It's an old idiom.

9. Henry from Canada

Brett said:
    "And wants to frequent said eating establishment. I'm sure he just goes for the food. "

That is very possible.

My favourite restaurant chain is Jimmy the Greek. I go just for the food.

Why would you think that anyone would go to Hooters just for the scantily-clad women.

When I was healthier, I used to go to the Y for exercise. The women there dressed with much less clothing, but I went there to exercise not look.

Even when I spoke to these women often times the focus was not on their lack of clothing, but on proper exercise technique. One of the young pretty customers there used to constructively criticize my technique.

Brett, why else would anyone go to Hooters? There are thousands of restaurants with scantily-clad women.

Maybe this priest just desperately wants to reach out to the lost. Maybe is technique is flawed, but his motivation is good.

You people want to condemn him, but not me.

10. raderag

Because I am a man.

So, maybe Christians can go to strip clubs for the cheap steak?

11. Henry from Canada

Brett asked:
    "Same logic you are using with Scott about football. That is my point. It's an old idiom."

My mistake Brett. I forgot that Scott did not watch football. My apologies.

Brett, do you realize that by asking me when I stopped beating my wife, you are in fact suggesting that I have committed a crime?

12. Henry from Canada

Brett asked:
    "So, maybe Christians can go to strip clubs for the cheap steak? "

I do not know how to answer that question. Sorry.

Is Hooters, in fact, a strip club?

13. Henry from Canada

You know, Brett asked me when I stopped "beating" my wife.

I think I better leave this thread.

Wife-beating is a very very serious crime in Canada.

It is very very rare that I am accused of an action so vile.

14. raderag

Henry, that statement is a common idiom to suggest the absurdity of your logic. It isn't a real accusation.

15. raderag

Henry, you weren't. It is just a saying.

16. Scott

Henry: Do you know what "hooters" are? They are breasts. Why do you think the retaurant used that name? It is an organization dedicated to sexually exploiting women and inflaming the lusts of men. Don't you think degrading women is wrong?

Your argument about Jesus and the tax collectors and sinners does not go very far. Jesus did not say "I think tax collectors, prostitutes, and sinners have got a bad rap. Everybody needs to relax and they all offer good services." The priest did say that the restaurant named after breasts is a good place. Put aside the blessing and look at his statements of approval about this restaurant named after women's breasts.

17. Henry from Canada

Brett said:
    "Henry, that statement is a common idiom to suggest the absurdity of your logic. It isn't a real accusation. "

I have never heard this idiom used before in this context.

Where I come from this idiom is called slander.

In any event, I fear we are flogging a dead horse.

I respect the opinion of you people. You may be absolutely right.

I respect the Bible knowledge of the people on this board.

And, I acknowledge that this priest in the eyes of many may be supporting a business that incites lust.

I just can not condemn a person who appears to be well-meaning and appears to be trying to bless the employees of Hooters and their families.

I suspect dozens of people on this board will be watching the Super Bowl. You work hard all week; enjoy the game!

18. raderag

I would never flog a dead horse. Perhaps that is an idiom?

19. raderag

Once can watch football without watching the cheerleaders.

20. Henry from Canada

Scott said Hooters:
    "It is an organization dedicated to sexually exploiting women and inflaming the lusts of men. Don't you think degrading women is wrong?"

Of course I think degrading men women is wrong. I have never gone to Hooters.

My dad once told me a story:

A pastor in Holland once went to the seady part of town and played cards and gambled with a few "low lifes." After he was done, the pastor said something like "OK guys, I've visited you, how would you like to visit my church on Sunday?"

Was this (reformed) pastor doing the right thing?

After reading the entire article, I can not help thinking that this priest is hungry to reach the lost. I can sympathize with him, and I hope his visit to Hooters causes at least one Hooters employee to maybe reach out to God.

21. Henry from Canada

Brett said:
    "I would never flog a dead horse. Perhaps that is an idiom? "

Yes, that is an idiom that I am familiar with.

I remember the first time I heard that idiom in 1983. An Army captain said something about flogging a dead horse. I thought, "what is flogging?"

Then after I found out what flogging was, I wondered how efficient
    flogging a dead horse would be.

Oh well.

22. Scott

This analogy is not good. By his words the priest in the article expressly approves of the restaurant named after breasts. He also does not say anything about trying to get people to come to church or anything else of the sort. As far as I can tell, he thinks that they are fine where they are. From his perspective if people go to the restaurant named after women's breasts in order to actually ogle women's breasts, well the lust is just there in their hearts in the first place. The priest places a moral equivalence between ordinary restaurants and the restaurant named after women's breasts. You seem to likewise judge a moral equivalence b/t ordinary organizations (like banks) and restaurants named after women's breasts. This is bad judgment.

The priests does not say anything is wrong with the restaurant named after women's breasts. As for the story you offered, a more analogous story would run:
    Scott

23. Henry from Canada

In reply to Brett and Scott:

If you want to condemn the priest, go right ahead. I can see the logic for your condemnation. In the eyes of many, a restaurant that names itself after an intimate female body part does not seem too wholesome. And no doubt, some men will go there just to see attractive females.

I, however, will not condemn this priest. I have seen other well-meaning people overlook sin in order to reach out to the lost. I suspect this man's intentions are loving. I will not condemn.

I realize that I am in the minority, but so often in cases like this, I am hestiate to criticize people that seek to do good.

I hope that the priest's blessing of the employees of that establishment causes at least one person to reach out to God.

I can respect your condemnation of that priest and myself.

24. raderag

He had my respect up to the point he said he frequented the place.

25. Henry from Canada

Scott:
    Scott said:

"a more analogous story would run:
    ....A pastor in Holland once went to the seady part of town and visited a house of prostitution. The pastor said a blessing over the house. He said that houses of prostitution get a bad rap. They are nice places you can go and have a good "

Scott, are you accusing Hooters of committing the crime of prostitution?

This is very upsetting. I thought Hooters was infamous for waitresses with short shorts and revealing tee shirts. I thought that Hooters operated totally within the law.

Have you alerted the authorities of this?

26. Scott

Henry: Are you accusing Hooters of gambling?

27. Henry from Canada

Read the entire article.

If you want to condemn this priest, then do so.

I, however, will reserve judgment and hope that his unusual activities bear some fruit.

28. Scott

"I, however, will not condemn this priest. I have seen other well-meaning people overlook sin in order to reach out to the lost."

The article says nothing and does in any way suggest that he is trying to reach the lost or that the priest in any way thinks anything is wrong with this restaurant named after women's breasts. From everything the priest said, he is trying to join them.

29. Scott

"Read the entire article."

I have read it twice. You are mistaken if you think he is trying to reach the lost or if you believe he even thinks they are doing anything wrong.

[Edited on 1-26-2006 by Scott]

30. Henry from Canada

Scott asked:
    "Henry: Are you accusing Hooters of gambling?

I never would accuse Hooters of gambling. I apologize if any of my posts implied that anyone at Hooters gambled.

What I did mean to say, however, is that many - but not all- football fans gamble. I think there is ample evidence to support this claim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.