would be a hoot if not so sad (Priest "blesses" Hooters Restaurant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be all like :eek: and :barfy: and :banghead: dude but when I read about the immorality of the Papacy in the middle ages stuff like this seems tame.

Look on the bright side... at least, it was a pretty established heterosexual establishment they were blessing...
:bigsmile:

First of all, I have never eaten at "Hooters," but I checked out their website.

I do not want to defend the Catholic faith or the priest in question, however, this priest appears to be well-meaning.

He asked God to " bless the building so it will be a safe haven, so that the families that enter will be blessed, so the employees will be blessed as they support their families."

That seems to me to be a nice prayer.

The rest of the article pointed out the humble and innovative ways he TRIED to reach out to the lost.

Whether he is right or wrong, saved or unsaved, I do not know. God knows.

It's just that personally I hate to criticize people from any denomination that seem to try to do loving things.

For many people, Catholic priests are intimidating people. Maybe what this priest did profoundly touched one of those vile Hooters waitresses. Maybe, someday when that Hooters waitress wants to reach out to God, she will go to a Catholic priest instead of a Reformed pastor. (I hope not.)

Little things like this can make a profound impression on people.

Also, I have a stupid question:

Why is it people get so upset at Hooter's waitresses, when NFL cheerleaders apparently wear much less clothing?

How many people will refuse to eat food at Hooters, yet will think nothing of watching NFL football with its scantily-clad cheerleaders?

Please do not tell me that NFL football has other redeeming characteristics that make it wholesome.

I have not seen a football game in years, however, if my memory is correct:

- football is extremely violent and many football players leave the game with crippling injuries or drug addictions
- football promotes gambling
- football on TV promotes couch-potato behavior, instead wholesome physical activity
- football cheerleaders dress in a very immodest and sexual manner
- football unintentionally promotes drug use in order to allow players to bulk up and withstand pain
- football promotes idolatry
- NFL football players consistently violate the Sabbath

I am not criticizing anyone that watches football, however, I am just really really confused.

Originally posted by Henry from Canada

Hi Henry,

It has been awhile since I "saw" you on board. How are you doing? I agree with you on this one. Of course, the Sabbath principle is a bit too old time for our modern society. One of the saddest things I have seen is a church cancelling their evening service in order to have a Super Bowl service, but I suppose that is a discussion for another time.

[Edited on 1-26-06 by matthew]

Hi Matthew,

I hope things are well with you, and God blesses you in a very innovative way in the next 24 hours. (Strange prayer, I know.)

The Sabbath issue is really another issue and thread.

In the eyes of some people, I violate the Sabbath by exercising.

I believe that it is permissible to do something "good" on Sunday.

I am just not sure how "good" football is.

The bigger issue I grapple with is how people can criticize a priest who appears to be trying to do good at Hooters, yet watch a sport that is extremely violent, has scantily dressed cheerleaders, etc.

I am not criticizing football per se. When I was a kid, we played football during lunch. It helped us keep in shape, develop skills, etc. - and noone got hurt.

NFL football is another story.

Oh, I find this board to be absolutely fascinating.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Look on the bright side... at least, it was a pretty established heterosexual establishment they were blessing...
:bigsmile:

EXACTLY! With all that crazy stuff going on in the Roman church, we should be happy that it is a HETEROSEXUAL establishment... :lol:

To clarify my question:

My BIG issue is not with Hooters or NFL football.

If you work hard all week and want to watch football on Sunday, what can I say?

What confuses me is how professing Christians harshly judge one another.

I see professing Christians criticizing Hooters, yet seemingly think nothing of watching NFL cheerleaders. This leaves me confused.

I see professing Christians criticizing Hooters, yet seemingly think nothing of watching NFL cheerleaders. This leaves me confused.

Don't be confused... what you're observing is rank hypocrisy.

I really do like Hooters' hot wings. But I won't go there because of the girls... So I settle for lesser quality hot wings, but hey, that's the price you've gotta pay for having moral standards.

Ben said:
"I really do like Hooters' hot wings. But I won't go there because of the girls... So I settle for lesser quality hot wings, but hey, that's the price you've gotta pay for having moral standards. "

I agree, and I can really respect that position.

I don't watch football for a whole bunch of reasons.

I just get exasperated by people judging one another, while turning a blind eye to their own issues.

This is a prayer I have had to pray many times:
Lord, it is easy to see the sins in others. Please help me see my own sins and repent of them.

This is extraordinarily difficult for me. I've had to repent of many things.

Oh, and I think those NFL cheerleaders are beautiful, too. It is very very hard to keep pure thoughts in today's world, but I try.

And as brutal as football is, the way some of these teams can execute is truly awesome. I really wish they could make football safer. For example, I would prefer it if QBs were "downed" when any defensive player touched him in any way. This might spare them of bone-crushing tackles.

Originally posted by matthew

Hi Henry,

It has been awhile since I "saw" you on board. How are you doing? I agree with you on this one. Of course, the Sabbath principle is a bit too old time for our modern society. One of the saddest things I have seen is a church cancelling their evening service in order to have a Super Bowl service, but I suppose that is a discussion for another time.

Ah yes it is about time for the annual SuperBowl on Sunday thread. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by jfschultz
Originally posted by matthew

Hi Henry,

Ah yes it is about time for the annual SuperBowl on Sunday thread. :bigsmile:

Nay, just give them the link to last year's thread.

Henry: We would have the same issues if the priest went to bless a group of scantily-clad cheerleaders. The problem with the priest is that his action implies approval of an organization that is dedicated to the sexual exploitation of women. It demeans women and inflames men's lust. It is wrong.

Scott said:
"We would have the same issues if the priest went to bless a group of scantily-clad cheerleaders. The problem with the priest is that his action implies approval of an organization that is dedicated to the sexual exploitation of women. It demeans women and inflames men's lust. It is wrong. "

Scott, do you have any issues with Reformed men spending Sunday afternoon passively sitting on a counch watching men engage in a very violent sport while scantily dressed women cheer them on and people from both sexes have millions of dollars in bets riding on the outcome?

I will not judge these men, but then again I am not about to condemn this priest. He appeared to mean well when he blessed the employees of Hooters and their families. God will judge him for better or worse.

Oh, and I have seen many posters on this board discuss and praise various football teams. Does that mean it is acceptable for Christians to praise modern-day NFL athletes who are paid to forcibly tackle people (for sport), yet it is wrong for other Christians to pray for Hooters' employees and their families?

Ivan and another poster said:
"Ah yes it is about time for the annual SuperBowl on Sunday thread.
....Nay, just give them the link to last year's thread."

This is not just about the Sabbath.

There are bigger issues.

For instance, why is it that if a priest blesses the employees and families of a food establishment with scantily dressed women, many Reformed people get really judgmental, yet on the very same board posters freely praise NFL football which promotes women who appear to be dressed with even less clothing.

I have never been to Hooters, however, I checked out its web site. These women are beautiful and the clothing is provactive, however back in the 1970s the Dallas Cowgirls wore less.

I have only seen about 3 hours of football in the last 20 years, but I would assume the NFL cheerleaders still dress in a very immodest manner.

We seem to be judging the Catholic priest harshly, while not acknowledging that many Reformed men seem to deliberately expose themselves to scantily dressed women, needless violence, idolatry, etc. And by needlessly exposing themselves to this, they SUPPORT the purveyors and advertisers of this activity.

But hey, if you want to spend Sunday afternoon watching a violent sport, with crass advertising, scantily dressed women and Janet Jackson, what can I say? If that is how you wish to spend Sunday afternoon, then that is your decision.

I generally spend Sunday stretching for at least one hour and exercising. But then again, this makes me a Sabbath breaker. By passively watching the Super Bowl I guess you will be upholding the Sabbath.

I will just defend a seemingly well-meaning priest who wants to pray for the employees and families of Hooters. I know how sinful this makes me appear in your eyes.

You work hard all week. Have a great time watching the Super Bowl.

This board is fascinating.

Henry: You are mischaracterizing what the priest is doing. He is not trying find "humble and innovative ways he to reach out to the lost." He is not going into Hooters to bring people out of it. The priest approves of Hooters. From the article:
For the record, though, Rozycki [the priest] said he doesn't think Hooters deserves the bad rap it has gotten from some. He has eaten at a Dallas-area Hooters twice, he said, and enjoyed the experience.

People who go to the restaurant with lust in their hearts are sure to find what they are looking for, Rozycki said. But that would be true no matter where they went, he said, adding that the waitresses' uniforms are less revealing than what is on display at the beach or a public swimming pool.

"œI respect (the ministers') opinion, but I think it's the way and the attitude with which you approach it," Rozycki said. "œI look it as a very fun place. É It was a place of laughter. You forget about the tensions and stress of daily life and get an opportunity to laugh with friends. É And it's great food."
The priest is wrong, seriously wrong. He is approving of the exploitation of women and an environment designed and intended to inflame the illicit lusts of men.

Do you know what "hooters" are? They are breasts. The restaurant is named after women's breasts. And they don't perform mamograms there.

If you don't understand the problem with Hooters, I recommend that you consider and meditate on the full meaning of the 7th commandment.

And I am not really into the NFL or other viewer sports (I do play racquetball occasionally).

Scott

[Edited on 1-26-2006 by Scott]

Scott said:
"The priest is wrong, seriously wrong. He is approving of the exploitation of women and an environment designed and intended to inflame the illicit lusts of men. "

Scott, you could be very right on this. I have never been to Hooters.

The priest will have to account for his blessings of Hooter employees and their families - for better or worse.

We have to account for our own sins. Millions of men vegetate in front of the TV on Sunday passively watching violent and sexually exploitive professional sports.

You are not one of them, Scott. I respect you for that.

However, I sense that this priest meant well and could have done something good by praying for these "vile" women. I will not condemn him. If you want to condemn him, that that is your choice.

Life is tough and the workweek is long. If anyone here wants to spend Sunday watching the Super Bowl, then I will not condemn you. But at the same time, I will not be watching, and I will not be criticizing that priest.

The measure you use to judge others will be.....

c'mon Henry. A Priest going in to Hooters to bless the establishment, of which the establishment will remain exactly the way management intended it?

The only time a Priest can legitimately bless Hooters is if He says, "Lord let them see the error of their ways and bring them to repentence, least they fall unmercifully into your wrath"

Henry wrote: "I sense that this priest meant well and could have done something good by praying for these "vile" women."

Your statement would be more accurate if you had written: "I sense that this priest meant well and could have done something good by approving of the degradation of these sexually exploited women."

Do you know what hooters are (not the restaurant)?

Scott, I may be the stupidest person that has ever lived.

When I read the entire article, I got the impression that this priest desperately wanted to reach out to the lost. His actions may be wrong, but I sensed that his heart was relatively good. (No one has an absolutely pure heart.)

Because of this impression, I am not going to condemn this man.

I am also going to refrain from condemning him because I am so aware of the lusts within my own heart. I do not want to judge harshly because these high standards may be used condemn me.

I also try to avoid condemnation because every church I have ever attended has been critical of some people, but apparently blind to their own sin. For example, I remember a certain pastor who used to severely criticize smoking. This is fine in itself, but at the same time he was obese. And he did not appear to be obese because of a "glandular" problem; he was just slothful and gluttonous.

We professing Christians have a reputation for being good a finding fault in others, but not ourselves. I am not talking about you Scott.

Scott, I suspect you and I will have to "agree to disagree." I think this priest is probably a good guy. You don't.

I could be very very wrong. It would not be the first time. I suspect the vast majority of people here agree with you, not me. But that's OK.

Keon, I never have gone to Hooters.

Keon, how many professional or college football games have you watched in the past 10 years?

How many strangers have you sought out and prayed for in the past 10 years? More than this priest?

Were the Hooters employees more favourably desposed to God after the blessing, or before the blessing.

Is anyone here planning to watch the Super Bowl this year? Anyone? If so, how does it feel knowing that the NFL players often endure permanent injuries?

Hey, I'm not going to judge. I'm just not going to watch the game.

Definition of professional sports:

20 men in desperate need of rest being watched by 20 million people in desperate need of exercise.

Do you know any Reformed people this applies to?

"Definition of professional sports: 20 men in desperate need of rest being watched by 20 million people in desperate need of exercise."
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back