Worship, Specific and General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanny01

Puritan Board Freshman
I asked this question before but I'm still having trouble sorting through it all.
Having been studying the Regulative Principle of Worship over the past couple weeks, I have found it to be confusing namely on account of different definitions of what it regulates. The basic argument that it is founded in the 2nd Commandment thereby worship is to be done according to the prescriptions founded in New Covenant Worship makes sense so far. Also pertaining to the discussion is how the church assembled in Christ's name is what constitutes "worship" in its most specific meaning and thereby the Regulative Principle applies principally to this worship.
All to say it leads to confusing definitions of worship when some make the main distinction between public assembled worship and the rest of life (including private acts of devotion) while some people make the distinction between specific acts of worship (all acts of devotion whether public assembled or private) and generic worship (the rest of life). The arguments for the regulative principle have convinced me of its truth however there is confusion because there are many differences on defining specific worship is (whether Stated Public Assembled Worship or all acts of devotion whether private or public) and thereby an inability on my part to present its truth in a satisfying way.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Think and present it this way....The early believers before the closing of the cannon of scripture were not singing Amazing Grace (or any other hymn) anytime or anywhere. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back