World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we can get Spain out of it tomorrow.

YouTube - Chile Vs Spain 1-2 - David Villa Awesome Goal + Sara Carbonero Interview - June 25 2010 - World Cup

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Yes, Europe is really doing splendidly, isn't she!

I like how the South American teams are playing the best right now. It's nice to see so many of them make it out of the group stage.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

That face painting thing is a carry over from fans of NFL American football. I just wish they wouldn't paint the Stars and Stripes on their faces. I also wish Olympic athletes would quite draping themselves in the flag. It is a desecration! Don't they know their Flag Code? I guess not. You can take the boy out of the Scouts but you can't take the Scout out of the boy.

I have spent time in both Argentina and Honduras. Behind the USA they are my favourite teams. I have watched major games in both countries, too. The fans there are great. I was in Honduras in October when USA beat Honduras. It was somewhat eery to go outside after the match and hear a complete nation in stunned silence.

I had been wondering how you were doing over there. Thanks for the update.

I was thinking the same about the flag.

Argentina is a nice place, and they do have some nice football down there. .

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

The U.S. has a real good shot to get to the semi-finals. They certainly have winnable games vs. Ghana and Uruguay/South Korea.

Last World Cup Ghana won...I think USA will want some revenge. Either way, it will be interesting to see if there will be any more bad calls by the refs going against USA, seems like they've had full on goals taken away from them.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

I watch more than my fair share of EPL games here in the U.S. and the EPL has just as many shankapotomous shots as any other league (especially since the top 4 are filled with foreigners).

Beckham has been a massive failure in America by the way. As an aside I'd put MLS level with any Championship side as far as talent and quality go.

I also think Beckham hasn't been great in America.

It seems like USA only plays strong when they are losing and there is only 1 minute left in the game otherwise they don't move. Altidore seemed like he wasn't all there today at times. Disappointed in their style of play but at the same time happy Ghana made it on so the Africans still have something to cheer for.

¡Viva la Argentina! I still love to recall Maradona in his prime.[/QUOTE]

probably the best I'll see in my lifetime, especially for his years with Napoli.

At first, i thought the MARS on his jersey meant the planet he came from.

If the Dutch can tighten up their central defense I think they can do well. Brazil has not really had a competitive match the whole tournament (the game with Portugal was a "let's not get anyone hurt" game that I would not call a competitive match.

I hate Argentina - mostly because of the "Hand of G-d" pass. Ugh. They're actually the only L.A. country I won't cheer for.

If the Dutch can tighten up their central defense I think they can do well. Brazil has not really had a competitive match the whole tournament (the game with Portugal was a "let's not get anyone hurt" game that I would not call a competitive match.

Holland will likely again lose out to the World Cup Champion.

Yeah I am predicting a Brazil-Portugal Final at this stage.

If that happens, I'm not watching. The two remaining teams I refuse to cheer for are Brazil and Portugal.

I'm siding with the Netherlands and Spain.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

OK, I take that back. If it came down to Brazil and Portugal I would have to pull for Brazil, the lesser of two evils. Ronaldo being the greatest of evils.

one rule they should consider is when two flyweight nothings fluke their way into the round of 16 (like Paraguay and Japan), give them the pre-game option of electing to go straight to penalty kicks instead of wasting 120 minutes of everyone's time.

:lol: I would not mind that rule.

it's one thing for a weak team to try to rag the puck for 120 minutes in this round, praying to get to penalty kicks, quite another for both teams to refuse to cross midfield with authority and intent.

Chile would not have been blamed for this maneuver, but they can't resist attacking and end up with another 3.5 or so goal loss to Brazil.

They gain my admiration though.

The junior varsity match is over, on to the real game, beautiful football and Little Portugal ready to erupt a mile south of my condo.

by the way, Uruguay is not a soft touch, Forlan is one of the best on the planet, an underhyped game for one with his skill.

my friend was transferring to a new job in a city far away and had to pick out a house by himself before the move.

his longsuffering wife was quite upset to find every single room painted in the green that Portugal is wearing on their shorts today. previous owners were from the old country.

my friend didn't seem to be bothered a bit by it, didn't even notice, but clued in that he had to repaint the whole home quickly to restore the peace.

:lol: I would not mind that rule.

it's one thing for a weak team to try to rag the puck for 120 minutes in this round, praying to get to penalty kicks, quite another for both teams to refuse to cross midfield with authority and intent.

Chile would not have been blamed for this maneuver, but they can't resist attacking and end up with another 3.5 or so goal loss to Brazil.

They gain my admiration though.

The junior varsity match is over, on to the real game, beautiful football and Little Portugal ready to erupt a mile south of my condo.

by the way, Uruguay is not a soft touch, Forlan is one of the best on the planet, an underhyped game for one with his skill.

Dead straight about Forlan. He is incredible, and he has a pretty solid team behind him this year. It should be very interesting.

Looks like predictions are wrong again, Portugal is out.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

From what I remember the Dutch have a bad history with Brazil.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I hate Argentina - mostly because of the "Hand of G-d" pass. Ugh. They're actually the only L.A. country I won't cheer for.

I was expecting a response similar to this...what do you think about Uruguay though?

It is disappointing though because I feel like Mexico vs Argentina game, Mexico had the best squad I've seen in a while. I think they played well this World Cup, it's a shame bad calls maybe costing teams wins.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

¡Viva la Argentina! I still love to recall Maradona in his prime.

probably the best I'll see in my lifetime, especially for his years with Napoli.

At first, i thought the MARS on his jersey meant the planet he came from.[/QUOTE]

Messi is a talented player as well.

Looks like predictions are wrong again, Portugal is out.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

From what I remember the Dutch have a bad history with Brazil.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I was expecting a response similar to this...what do you think about Uruguay though?

It is disappointing though because I feel like Mexico vs Argentina game, Mexico had the best squad I've seen in a while. I think they played well this World Cup, it's a shame bad calls maybe costing teams wins.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

¡Viva la Argentina! I still love to recall Maradona in his prime.

At first, i thought the MARS on his jersey meant the planet he came from.

Messi is a talented player as well.[/QUOTE]

Messi is a great player for his day. Maradona is a great player for all time.

in the mid 80s to early 90s, England was exiled and broken in Europe and the Italian league spent all the money in the world to build a super league. The Germans went to Inter, the Dutch to Milan, South Americans to Napoli, along with dozens of other great international stars and the Italian talent already spread amongst Serie A. These squads were probably stronger than most national teams.

Maradona led Napoli to its only titles in league history in the midst of this amazing era of the Italian game. And he was a midfielder. He carried games almost single handedly. His World Cup hi-lites are forever etched in the minds of those who saw them live as well.

Messi is a strong cog for powerhouse Barca. a half dozen in the game today could replace him easily on that team.

comparing the eras, the game isn't the same for building power on teams. sadly, all Germans on this World Cup team play domestically.

Last edited:

I like Uruguay, but I honestly don't know that much about them. I think I'll probably be rooting for them or Paraguay. I kind of like Spain, but I'm not that enthused.

One of my friends (who has seen all of her favorite teams beaten) has decided to root for which ever country has the lowest GDP in each match. I may end up going in that direction, haha.

I'm cheering against Argentina. Diego Maradona is quite possibly the biggest loser in sports. The only consolation I'd have if they won is Messi might begin eclipse Maradona in terms of greatness, and Maradona would hate that. Right now I favor Germany, but I'm also inclined to root for Spain, especially considering they just sent Ronaldo packing.

It's been an interesting tournament so far:

1. France sent home in disgrace, flying coach. I don't think they even gave them a chance to shower after their last game.

2. England was found to be as it was: overrated. Lampard got hosed though.

3. US had a very favorable showing but being a second half team isn't conducive to a deep run. Hopefully Clark is looking for other career prospects at this point.

4. I don't think I've seen worse officiating at a major sports event ever. These refs couldn't be worse at their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back