World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myshkin

Puritan Board Freshman
Any interest?

The US team kicks off their first match this coming Monday.

[Edited on 6-9-2006 by RAS]

The government of Ghana apparently declared a national holiday today, on account of the USA/Ghana match this morning; my wife and I took the morning off work to watch. It's been disappointing to watch our team blow it, but honestly, they didn't play like a world class team - even with the handful of bad ref calls. It was particularly difficult for my wife, who played throughout her youth and on into college, to watch them make mistakes her 9-11 year old girls' rec league team makes.

Oh well, with the USA packing it in, now we can enjoy watching the rest of the Cup. I predict at least another couple of games that we'll take off to watch, or at least do makeup time.

RONALDINHO!!! :bigsmile: :banana::banana:

Oh, and I really enjoyed the Spain vs. Tunisia game. I think the Spanish coach used up all three subs by the 65th minute, and it paid off - good play, gutsy coaching.

[Edited on 6-22-2006 by Philip A]

I am backing the wild card. Ghana. The upset America, Chezch, and now on to Brazil. If they upset Brazil dat will be a trifecta. Go Ghana Go.

Of course it's going to be England all the way (wishful thinking here)
Actually I was in London for the England - Paraguay game. Just about every home had English flag hanging out of a window; it was patriotism to the core. I watched the England - Trinidad game in Ireland, the reception wasn't quite as warm if you know what I mean.

VanVos

I watch the games when I can. But the Spanish channel can get annoying after a while when you cant understand what they are saying. I just watch because it can be an interesting sport to watch.

How about the Germany game yesterday. That was quite a thriller. Unfortunately I missed the game but read about it later. What are people's thoughts on the World Cup as it gets closer to being finished?

Any complaints about the refing?

Die deutsche Mannschaft ist absolut unglaublich. Ich glaube, dass Deutschland die Weltmeisterschaft winnen wird.

Germany rocks. Their goalie is sensational. The game yesterday was intense. Go Germany!

How about the England game today?

I at leest watched part of the England game today.
I like Germany to win this.

world cup final
italy vs france
italy should win.

I was hoping it would have been germany vs france. the french would have forfeited as soon as the germans showed up. haha

By the time you got to the semis, it was just the euro-cup. No, make that the western-euro-cup.

Seriously, I played a little soccer in hs. It was fun. But there has got to be more scoring on the average at the professional level, or americans are just not going to watch it. We watch hockey--not more than a handful of goals per game, so we seem to be able to handle low-scoring. But (theatrics aside, and soccer has way to much melodrama) after one team gets a single goal, and then plays "keep away" for the remainder of the game--that kills the interest. "And kishostan are winners, one to nil."

I don't know, I like France in the final.

I wish Germany would have won, but I am glad they got third at least.

What on earth was Zidane thinking of?

What a blight on what should have been his finest hour.

Originally posted by Dave L
What on earth was Zidane thinking of?

What a blight on what should have been his finest hour.

No kidding! That was a dumb foul. I would have expected better from a veteran like Zidane, especially in the finals. Not only did France lose their top midfielder, they lost one of their top penalty kickers! It was also too bad that they had to sub for Henry. He was also one of their top penalty kickers, but it looked like he was seriously out of gas.

I have to say that Zidane's penalty kick against Portugaul that Henry kicked in in mid air was really cool!

Yes, not everybody has the opportunity to make a complete fool of themselves in front of a worldwide viewership of 1 billion people.

I've had it in for France since they beat Spain, so even though I was disappointed it wasn't Germany to do it, I was glad to see the Italians put France away.

:banana::banana:BRAVISSIMI!!!:banana::banana:

Buffon played an excellent tournament all around, only letting through an own-goal against the US and the one penalty from Zidane.

Wayne Rooney must be glad to yield the "most notorious move of the tournament" trophy to Zidane.

Didn't Zidane get the gold ball or whatever that thing is called?

I thought it was a great tournament all around.

I think it is ironic that Italy wins the tournament while their own soccer leagues are being investigated for match-fixing and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back